Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Space X

Imagine seeing this in L.A last night not knowing what it was.

As someone that thinks spending public money rather than private on space exploration is mad this does excite me.

Comments

• This and the hyperloop. Also as someone that works in solar the solar stuff he does with Tesla is pretty decent as is the battery storage.
  • I think Its awesome what he’s doing. In uncertain times the World needs more visionaries like Elon Musk.

True but he does tread very close to the genius/lunatic line just look at his simulation theory talk he keeps going on about. Then again he has warned about the dangers of AI while the likes of Zuckerberg go full steam for it. I love Musk, he's a fascinating person but I'm not sure we need more like him, could be a dangerous mix.
  • Go to YouTube and look at all the people who posted about it being an alien mothership or invasion by aliens, last night. It quickly explains how people fall for crap like 9/11 planes being holograms and other such nonsense.

Americans in general are not too bright.

PS- I could not see this launch from Northern Cali, but two years ago we saw one just like that. It's awesome to watch. Wish they did this more often.
  • colthe3rd said:

I think Its awesome what he’s doing. In uncertain times the World needs more visionaries like Elon Musk.

True but he does tread very close to the genius/lunatic line just look at his simulation theory talk he keeps going on about. Then again he has warned about the dangers of AI while the likes of Zuckerberg go full steam for it. I love Musk, he's a fascinating person but I'm not sure we need more like him, could be a dangerous mix.
    I'm not sure that his belief in the simulation theory marks him as a lunatic. It's an extremely widely-held belief and the science behind it is pretty compelling. Not sure I agree with it, but I don't think it's flatearthery either.
  • colthe3rd said:

I think Its awesome what he’s doing. In uncertain times the World needs more visionaries like Elon Musk.

I'm not sure that his belief in the simulation theory marks him as a lunatic. It's an extremely widely-held belief and the science behind it is pretty compelling. Not sure I agree with it, but I don't think it's flatearthery either.
    I didn't say he was but that he's on that line between the two. The argument for the simulation theory is pretty flimsy and it's one of those it's impossible to prove either way. To point to the way technology has rapidly changed over 40 years as evidence ignores every other technological and industrial revolution the world has had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely fucking incredible.
    Thanks god for Elon Musk a maverick, romantic, visionary!
  • edited February 2018
    More proof we no longer need the US government in the space business. Frankly, I bet Musk or Bezos could get us to Mars cheaper, faster and safer than NASA. I would rather let them make a run at it with my tax dollars than NASA.
  • More proof we no longer need the US government in the space business. Frankly, I bet Musk or Bezos could get us to Mars cheaper, faster and safer than NASA. I would rather let them make a run at it with my tax dollars than NASA.

NASA have previously funded Musk.
  • Missed It said:

That was awesome! Loved the synchronised booster landing.

Absolutely amazing to be able to do that. It looked like someone had reversed the film of a take off.
  • edited February 2018
    PopIcon said:

More proof we no longer need the US government in the space business. Frankly, I bet Musk or Bezos could get us to Mars cheaper, faster and safer than NASA. I would rather let them make a run at it with my tax dollars than NASA.

NASA have previously funded Musk.
    Not quite.

They purchased SpaceX's services for launching their products to the ISS. That would be "sales." SpaceX's "funding" has been private, mainly by Founders Fund, Google and Fidelity. NASA has no stake in Space X, as far as I've heard.
  • Glad to hear the American commentators use British Standard Measurements when describing exactly how heavy that rocket is.
  • I understood NASA were partnered with the private sector for the Mars expedition.

Anyway doesn’t it burn a lot of fuel landing these rockets rather than parachuting them into the sea?
  • razil said:

I understood NASA were partnered with the private sector for the Mars expedition.

Anyway doesn’t it burn a lot of fuel landing these rockets rather than parachuting them into the sea?

Probably costs him less in fuel, than it drying out 2 rockets full of sea water
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

I didn't say he was but that he's on that line between the two. The argument for the simulation theory is pretty flimsy and it's one of those it's impossible to prove either way. To point to the way technology has rapidly changed over 40 years as evidence ignores every other technological and industrial revolution the world has had.
    Just read up on this.

Can’t really believe it all but this line from Bostrom screws with your head a bit:

“If we don't think that we are currently living in a computer simulation, we are not entitled to believe that we will have descendants who will run lots of such simulations of their forebears”

Because in the future, people will.
  • More proof we no longer need the US government in the space business. Frankly, I bet Musk or Bezos could get us to Mars cheaper, faster and safer than NASA. I would rather let them make a run at it with my tax dollars than NASA.

Lol nope.

Musk is burning money funding space x. You better hope Tesla cars take off (forgive the pun) or space x would likely eventually cease.

It’s interesting to see levels of funding of nasa and the growth of the us economy seem to have some correlation.

A lot of what space x are doing could not have been done without nasa.
  • Only just caught the video, amazing stuff, particularly the landing, Thunderbirds are go and definitely why we should continue to invest in Space, the final frontier.
  • A PlayStation game called "surviving mars" was released today. It looks pretty good and relevant in a way. It would appeal to anyone that is mildly interested in astronomy.

Hopefully get it tommorow.
  • Searched on here for Richard Branson, then space travel, found this thread.
    Found this on my Twitter feed this morning, and whilst liking the idea of possible space trips/travel thought it was making a serious point about how the "system" works here back on earth.