Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

American Addicks/Addicks in the US.

After 4 years in Dubai, my family and I are making our next move this summer.
We’ll be joining the ranks of Addicks in the USA.
I know there are quite a few of you on here who reside across the pond, but are any of you based in DC?
We’ll start work in Washington in August, so any tips on life in the states (and particularly the capital) would be gratefully received!

Cheers all!

Comments

• I'm in Norcal and SD Addick might be in San Diego. Not sure about the East Coast. Good luck!
  • Massachusetts.
  • Connecticut. Love DC though. Been a few times on business and pleasure. I think you'll enjoy it
  • If you happen to drop in on Walnut Creek, California, then we can go for a beer and talk about the reds.
  • Haha! Looks like we’re limited to one Addick per city!
  • Seattle

Very jealous, favourite place I’ve been to.
  • Ah that's brilliant, welcome. I'm in Eugene, Oregon, keeping with the one-a-city limit. I do sometimes travel to DC for work, so I'll drop you a line whenever that happens next.
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to live just outside of DC, both in Maryland and Northern Virginia, both very expensive housing-wise. Base yourself as close to a subway as possible if you're commuting into DC every day, commuting by car is a nightmare.
    I'm just North of Baltimore now, a drive into DC could take anywhere from an hour and a half (on a good day) to three or four hours if anything gets in the way. Great area to live in though, culturally.
  • edited January 2018
    limeygent said:

Used to live just outside of DC, both in Maryland and Northern Virginia, both very expensive housing-wise. Base yourself as close to a subway as possible if you're commuting into DC every day, commuting by car is a nightmare.
    I'm just North of Baltimore now, a drive into DC could take anywhere from an hour and a half (on a good day) to three or four hours if anything gets in the way. Great area to live in though, culturally.

Of course I'm assuming you wouldn't actually be living in DC.
  • limeygent said:

Used to live just outside of DC, both in Maryland and Northern Virginia, both very expensive housing-wise. Base yourself as close to a subway as possible if you're commuting into DC every day, commuting by car is a nightmare.

That’s useful Limey, cheers.
    All of the people I’ve spoken to at the new place of work have said about how expensive it can be there, but the Subway tip may come in handy. We’ve got six months or so, so we’ve got time to research.
    Thanks.
  • Would love to live and work in the US one day.
  • Used to live in NYC and still spend 10-12 weeks pa in the US
  • Somerville,Massachusetts.

I’ve made a few trips to DC. If you’re going to work in the city, make sure you’re near transit. As others have said, you don’t want to be driving around there if you don’t have to.
  • After 4 years in Dubai, my family and I are making our next move this summer.
    We’ll be joining the ranks of Addicks in the USA.
    I know there are quite a few of you on here who reside across the pond, but are any of you based in DC?
    We’ll start work in Washington in August, so any tips on life in the states (and particularly the capital) would be gratefully received!

Cheers all!

I am guessing you will need to take care of all the tax free money you have earned in Dubai so if you need a good accountant and someone who is good figures NappaAddick is your man. :smile:
    Not a good idea. You'll end up paying 77% of your income in tax.
  • The East Coast sounds nice with the culture and all that. But, you can't beat the weather in California. I think I'll stay where I am :smile: . Yesterday I was out and about with the top down on my car. Not doing that in DC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Presumably everyone here who lives in the US has got there through work?
  • RobRob
    edited January 2018
    Yes, work for me. IT

• Was it a case of transferring with current employers or anyone just apply direct/ get recruited?
  • Rob said:

The East Coast sounds nice with the culture and all that. But, you can't beat the weather in California. I think I'll stay where I am :smile: . Yesterday I was out and about with the top down on my car. Not doing that in DC.

Wildfires, mud slides, droughts, earthquakes. But at least it’s warm.
    The earthquake is the dodgy one. Could hit at any time with any strength. Got rattled 3 weeks ago at 3 in the morning with a 4.2 around the Berkeley area. Dread to think what a 7.2 would be like. We just get on with life but that always lurks in the deepest recesses of the brain.
  • Was it a case of transferring with current employers or anyone just apply direct/ get recruited?

I’m a teacher and there are British schools all over the world, so it’s quite a good route in.
    Not so sure about everyone else.
  • Lived in NY/NJ for about 25yrs now in Indianapolis Indiana, A little slower pace here but I like that.
  • I'd love to live and work in the USA. Unfortunately my job revolves around UK legislation so unfortunately i'm useless beyond this island.

• Rob said:

Rob said:

The East Coast sounds nice with the culture and all that. But, you can't beat the weather in California. I think I'll stay where I am :smile: . Yesterday I was out and about with the top down on my car. Not doing that in DC.

Wildfires, mud slides, droughts, earthquakes. But at least it’s warm.
    The earthquake is the dodgy one. Could hit at any time with any strength. Got rattled 3 weeks ago at 3 in the morning with a 4.2 around the Berkeley area. Dread to think what a 7.2 would be like. We just get on with life but that always lurks in the deepest recesses of the brain.
    We had a 5.8 here a few years ago, very scary. My sister moved away from the West Coast because she was so "rattled" by the earthquakes.

Originally I threw a dart at a calendar, and another one at a map of The U.S. That brought me to New York City in a very cold November. I returned to the U.K. after running out of money, but was immediately recruited by a British company in Maryland. They handled my immigration issues, which took about two years.

I’m a teacher and there are British schools all over the world, so it’s quite a good route in.
    Not so sure about everyone else.
    Do you know where in the DC area you'll be working?