Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Satellite Dishes - RIP?

edited January 2018 in Not Sports Related
Sky have said today that they are moving away from satellite-based TV and will in the future provide all services via the internet. Italy and then Austria will be the first countries to be switched.
I'm guessing that means that the channels available via satellite on Freesat will no longer be viable and that service, too, will eventually disappear?
bbc.co.uk/news/business-42815603

Comments

• Sky are behind NowTV - all done via the internet.

Works well for me!
  • sam3110 said:

So if the internet cuts out, you lose all channels? Is our internet network strong enough to withstand all this extra data?

At this moment in time I'd doubt it.
  • Really got me this one - RIP
  • Condolences to the satellite crockery family.
  • sam3110 said:

So if the internet cuts out, you lose all channels? Is our internet network strong enough to withstand all this extra data?

At this moment in time I'd doubt it.
    So around 2050 then.

• sam3110 said:

It's the way things are going. Internet speeds and bandwidth are constantly improving, and people are getting used to Amazon Fire or Chromecasts (I stream BT Sport to my TV using one, and it works very well with only the occasional drop out)

It will be much harder for Sky to control subscriptions without the dish and box, which gave them a fair bit of control over what packages they can sell
  • Sponsored links:

• Deep joy.

My current speed is less than 2 mbps and BT have quoted £50k to run a private fibre network to the 8 houses in our little spot. Bastards!!!
  • bobmunro said:

Deep joy.

My current speed is less than 2 mbps and BT have quoted £50k to run a private fibre network to the 8 houses in our little spot. Bastards!!!

But Bob what's an extra £50K when you only share an island with 7 other dwellings?
  • bobmunro said:

Deep joy.

But Bob what's an extra £50K when you only share an island with 7 other dwellings?
    It's the principle!
  • No sign of the BBC deserting Freesat at this time, so as far as I'm concerned Sky can do one.

When I do watch on the net, BBC iPlayer, All4, or once in a blue moon ITV, buffering is pretty much to be expected at some point. And it isn't my line speed which is now 25mbps plus, even with the VPN set to UK. So I make @sam3110 right.

It's the same issue with cellphones. Who hasn't in the last week experienced trouble with a call that dropped, temporarily or completely? Listen to the BBC Today programme, at least once a week an interview or link up is abandoned on air, and they have advanced gear to try and combat the problem.

22 years or so, and they still can't deliver reliable calls. WTF?
  • edited January 2018
    Fecking wonderful !, I have a 0.7 mbps internet connection FFS !
  • bobmunro said:

Deep joy.

red10 said:

Fecking wonderful !, I have a 0.7 mbps internet connection FFS !

'Sky plans to make all its channels and content available online, giving customers the option of doing away with a satellite dish'
  • One of my favourite bands when I was a kid. Saw them live many times and loved their concept LP 'Big Dish'.

RIP

• I think this country needs better internet then!
  • No age at all, RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP? I wonder if there will be a reception after the funeral?

Very clever
  • Does this also mean the end of the council house?
  • No, that was 25 years ago
  • Wonder if they will make you have Sky broadband to get service?
  • Nug said:

Wonder if they will make you have Sky broadband to get service?

If they do that they can get lost.
  • Nug said:

Wonder if they will make you have Sky broadband to get service?

If they do that they can get lost.
    I was thinking more Sky can 'go forth and multiply' Beds :wink:
  • Looks like this place has had it then!

• Chill out

I'm sure graphs exist to show the average broadband speed 5 years ago and the availability of it compared to now. Bobmunro has a valid moan about being quoted 50k to run a private fibre network however, let's play devils advocate here. OFCOM tell British Telecom they cannot refuse a reasonable request for telephony. So it's not unusual for them to erect 20 poles to provide a remote Scottish farmhouse with a PSTN line (A phone line) but if that remote Scottish farm wants super fast broadband he's going to have to pay, look at it from a business perspective. BT will get back say 20 quid a month or thereabouts per superfast serviice they deliver and whose to say you wont decide you dont want the super fast broadband in a years time. Any business would say the cost of the investment is not worth the return.

That's not my opinion, I think from a PR perspective BT would be well served providing you that service however once they make a noise about it they have to do the same for every tiny group of remote homes everywhere.

I said years and years ago broadband speed would become a big factor in house churn and house prices and I'm not shocked to be proven right. Now the government have tendered tons of bids and largely BT are the only company winning them to do joint enterprise fibre along with local authorities

One thing this and the previous couple of governments have got right is investment in superfast broadband along with telecoms firms

• I've never had satellite TV, ever.

Have I missed out on anything .... ?