Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Christmas The Big Match 1974 featuring Grimsby v Charlton

Here's a Christmas treat its us on The Big Match December 1974 (we on at 30.30 if you don't want to watch the rest). For those two young to remember at Christmas they got three current players who didn't take appearing on TV too seriously and that year it was Terry Mancini, Terry Venables and Rodney Marsh.
Can't remember us being on and haven't seen it since.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubcxyT3w9wo

Happy Christmas to all lifers.

Comments

• Same old. Charlton lead 0-1 and fail to wrap up the game and go away with a point.
  • Anybody on here go to that one?
  • Missed that one, saw the next one 3-0 at Wrexham just after Christmas.
  • Yes i went dont remember to much about the game.But remember the train journey ,changed at Nottingham i think, a local train to Grimsby ,then quite a long bus ride to the ground.Coming home i can remember walking to Cleethorpes station to get a direct train to London.It was freezing i can remember that.
  • Really good stuff. Don't recall ever seeing that before.
  • Great stuff!

Don't remember Bobby Goldthorpe being that good!

Great to see Paddy, Killer, King Arthur and little Richie Bowman amongst others in that clip.
  • That Chelsea West Ham game was entertaining as well, plenty of familiar faces!
  • Sponsored links:

• brilliant cheers, do you think the camera was just stuck in one position :)
  • My favourite season ever ..,this was about the only game I missed all the way from Margate away pre-season to the tour in Tunisia in May 1975
  • Loved that. I liked those shirts. Proper Charlton.

I wonder if Hales would consider coming out of retirement.
  • Missed that one, saw the next one 3-0 at Wrexham just after Christmas.

I was at the 3-0 at Wrexham too. Colin Powell was class that day.

• Proper football. Proper telly. :-)

( that feem tune was going round in my head all the way round Morrisons earlier.)
  • Thanks McCartney. Great memories there, which I've not seen before.
  • LoonyBin said:

Anybody on here go to that one?

Yep, I was there with my mates, Mick and Wingsy (don't ask). It was 1974/75 promotion season and myself and a bunch of scruffs had said, during a boozy Sunday lunchtime session in the White Swan sometime in the summer of '74 that we were going to go to every match, home and away, league and cup next season. Eight of us signed up to do it and rocked up to Halifax on the opening day of the season, but by the end of September we were down to four. By the time of the Grimsby game, Fat Kev had also dropped out so only three of us made the trek up to Grimsby on the Saturday before Christmas. We three stuck it out for the rest of the season and after the promotion clincher against Preston at the Valley in April, we felt we'd got our just rewards.

It was a long season, it cost us a fortune but it was worth it. We drank a lot of beer, lived on pies and chips, and we travelled up and down the country to matches mostly in Mick's knackered old Dormobile (the heater didn't work) but oh, we had some bloody good laughs along the way.

By the cringe though, Blundell Park was a bloody awful place in December. Cleethorpes: Cold, dank, miserable and smelled of death.
    Yes that's how I remember it, typical northern ground it was like a wind tunnel . The walk back to Cleethorpes was a bit hairy the local s wernt over friendly
  • Remember the Wrexham 3-0 as well didn't some of us go in their end that day?
  • Rob said:

Loved that. I liked those shirts. Proper Charlton.

I wonder if Hales would consider coming out of retirement.

You may well be in luck.

Was in the club shop last week and was told these are to go on sale. She was not able to confirm when though.
  • Nice to see my chum Steve Kember having a good game for Chelsea and also a rare sighting of a beard-less Micky Droy. Not the greatest match but you can still feel the excitement because of the tackles and the terracing. And what about those Barnets? John Dempsey and Terry Mancini were a couple of real special ones.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Big Match Revisited getting another run on BT Sport, lots available to download. I watched (some) of Fulham v CAFC last night from January 1977. I only watched because the trio of Moore, Marsh and Best were playing. It wasn't great.
    I'm sure a few on here were there...
  • Riviera said:

The Big Match Revisited getting another run on BT Sport, lots available to download. I watched (some) of Fulham v CAFC last night from January 1977. I only watched because the trio of Moore, Marsh and Best were playing. It wasn't great.

My first away match, loved it
  • Riviera said:

The Big Match Revisited getting another run on BT Sport, lots available to download. I watched (some) of Fulham v CAFC last night from January 1977. I only watched because the trio of Moore, Marsh and Best were playing. It wasn't great.

Yep
  • Great to see, Dunphy's legs as thin as I remember them. These players form my earliest memories of watching Charlton and going to the Valley.
  • I posted this a few weeks ago but its a classic if anyone missed it. 28mins 30 seconds in from nov75 it has it all, Valiant Towers being built, a mini pitch invasion, Jimmy Trotter next to Michael Glikstein , Andy Nelson interviewed and of course Derek Hales lumping someone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpM6afXcDw&t=1774s
  • "If anybody regrets it, it's Derek Hales"

I very much doubt that!
  • Proper football. No tippy tappy, sideways across the back four & then back to the keeper - just hoof it forward for the TWO forwards to chase it.
  • Proper football. No tippy tappy, sideways across the back four & then back to the keeper - just hoof it forward for the TWO forwards to chase it.

Watch a few episodes and you'll see plenty back to the keeper. The banning of the "pass back" must the biggest improvement to the game since goal nets!
  • McCartney said:

I posted this a few weeks ago but its a classic if anyone missed it. 28mins 30 seconds in from nov75 it has it all, Valiant Towers being built, a mini pitch invasion, Jimmy Trotter next to Michael Glikstein , Andy Nelson interviewed and of course Derek Hales lumping someone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpM6afXcDw&t=1774s

Wow great memories, remember this game really well as a 15 year old in the Covered End.
  • Riviera said:

Proper football. No tippy tappy, sideways across the back four & then back to the keeper - just hoof it forward for the TWO forwards to chase it.

Watch a few episodes and you'll see plenty back to the keeper. The banning of the "pass back" must the biggest improvement to the game since goal nets!
    Dear old Les Berry made a career out of passing back to the 'keeper when he wasn't wellying it halfway down Floyd Road.

Proper defending.