Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Youth Cup QPR vs Charlton match thread

13»

Comments

• Scoham said:

There were a few that looked real prospects - our number 3 stood out too.

Was that Zemura? I thought he looked promising on another streamed game a year or two ago. Looked like he could develop into a good attacking full back.
    Yes that was him, i also thought he looked good.
  • Once that goal "goes viral" I imagine the PL scouts will be swarming all over him...
  • So Roland may hang around a bit longer to cash in?
  • Not just the execution of the shot itself but also the speed of thought required. Very impressive. Glad it was caught on video for him.
  • All the photos used by Charlton last night were mine! No one has signed pro's yet, no one will sign one early in my opinion, they will either get what or not. Surprised nobody has compared Alfie's goal to the recent Rooney goal as last night was better! A number have been involved in the U23s this season, the attack is the strongest part of the U23s side & this is why they have struggled to get in. This side could go all the way, so so proud of them, no understatement they are amazing. Friendly at Sparrows on Saturday vs Portsmouth. Karl was there last night, he admits to our problems/mistakes and never hides. The referee killed game on Saturday, I think he should have our full support! Believe in the youngsters

Err, I mentioned WR in my post last night.....

Regarding young guns to watch, the commentators last night picked out Sarpong-Wiredu for special mention on several occasions , as did Robbo at the recent Bromley Addicks' meeting.
  • Pen was very harsh but we should have had one earlier so nobody can complain. And Doughty got booked for diving to boot! I do think some refs don't really understand the laws of the game though. Hand ball has to be deliberate! I manage an U17s side and some refs never give handball on one extreme and some give it in the most ridiculous scenarios on the other. Look at the Northern Ireland game as an example. How can any reasonable person deem that to be intentional?

Hand to ball .....Handball is an offence only when the hand moves towards the ball.

It's not necessarily about intent - handball can be given even if you're falling or trying to regain balance, if your hand/arm is moving as the hand touches the ball.

Ball to hand .... if the ball strikes the hand without the hand moving (point blank contact, ricochet or deflection for example), no offence has been committed.

• I'm Charlton & I feel the handball was extremely harsh, difficult for the ref to see it was in the area!
  • edited December 2017
    From what I saw there was an upward movement by the hand/arm towards the ball, it changed it's trajectory about 90 degrees, and also prevented the ball from reaching a Charlton player.
    Not a harsh penalty, a penalty, and the ref was closer to the incident than 90% of the players too.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2017
    I have to say that was (other than the odd goalkeeper clearances) the furthest distance shot at goal I have ever seen go in.
    He was half way into his own half!
  • Oggy Red said:

Pen was very harsh but we should have had one earlier so nobody can complain. And Doughty got booked for diving to boot! I do think some refs don't really understand the laws of the game though. Hand ball has to be deliberate! I manage an U17s side and some refs never give handball on one extreme and some give it in the most ridiculous scenarios on the other. Look at the Northern Ireland game as an example. How can any reasonable person deem that to be intentional?

Hand to ball .....Handball is an offence only when the hand moves towards the ball.

It's not necessarily about intent - handball can be given even if you're falling or trying to regain balance, if your hand/arm is moving as the hand touches the ball.

Ball to hand .... if the ball strikes the hand without the hand moving (point blank contact, ricochet or deflection for example), no offence has been committed.

This may have been true a few years ago - but not now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2284201/GRAHAM-POLL--The-Official-Line-The-new-handball-rule-explained-Newcastle-got-lucky-Fox-penalty.html
  • I have to say that was (other than the odd goalkeeper clearances) the furthest distance shot at goal I have ever seen go in.
    He was half way into his own half!

Makes Rooney's effort look tame.
  • That was an amazing goal!
  • Oggy Red said:

Pen was very harsh but we should have had one earlier so nobody can complain. And Doughty got booked for diving to boot! I do think some refs don't really understand the laws of the game though. Hand ball has to be deliberate! I manage an U17s side and some refs never give handball on one extreme and some give it in the most ridiculous scenarios on the other. Look at the Northern Ireland game as an example. How can any reasonable person deem that to be intentional?

This may have been true a few years ago - but not now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2284201/GRAHAM-POLL--The-Official-Line-The-new-handball-rule-explained-Newcastle-got-lucky-Fox-penalty.html
    "Regarding handball they now ask the referee to consider the proximity of the potential offender to the person last playing the ball, the speed of the ball and importantly whether the offender's arms are in a natural or unnatural position.

So the question of intent is now, did the offender deliberately place his arms in an unnatural position to increase the chances of the ball hitting him?"

Thanks for posting that link, Muttley ...... and now you've exposed yourself as a Daily Mail reader *shakes head in disbelief*

;o)

Seriously, the 'ball to hand' element still applies - the only change in interpretation is to include, "did the offender deliberately place his arms in an unnatural position to increase the chances of the ball hitting him?"

If so, that now assumes an act of 'intent' in the interpretation of the law - therefore an offence is committed should the ball strike the hand.
    Some players will try every trick they can get away with, so can't argue with that on the face of it - although very unfair on a defender in his own box if the referee makes a wrong assumption.

• I knew the interpretation of the law and googled an explanation for here, unfortunately the Mail link was the first to come up! It is probably a notable article for being one of the few things from the Daily Mail which is true! My theory is that some refs overthink the unnatural position bit and try to interpret what an unnatural position is, when it surely and simply was intended to mean intentional when it was written.
  • Agree with you, Muttley.

Like some players try to seek an unfair advantage, some referees may find it simpler to just assume all ball to hand incidents are deliberate and penalise the player anyway.

I suppose it's not much different to many fans expecting a penalty to be awarded every time there's a ball to hand incident, regardless of circumstance?

• Reading at home in round 4, also noticed Plymouth knocked Man City out and Derby beat Man Utd so hopefully we can go far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Reading at home in round 4, also noticed Plymouth knocked Man City out and Derby beat Man Utd so hopefully we can go far.

Which basically means that Chelsea will win it again

Probably, they've been in last six finals winning five of them, would be interesting to see where they are now.

Probably, they've been in last six finals winning five of them, would be interesting to see where they are now.
    Chelsea are already out too.
  • edited January 2018

Reading at home in round 4, also noticed Plymouth knocked Man City out and Derby beat Man Utd so hopefully we can go far.

Chelsea have West Brom at home next week.
    And if they win that they could have Spurs.
  • edited January 2018

Reading at home in round 4, also noticed Plymouth knocked Man City out and Derby beat Man Utd so hopefully we can go far.

Chelsea have West Brom at home next week.
    And if they win that they could have Spurs.
    FA already has West Brom as through

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/jan/12/fa-youth-cup-fifth-round-draw-120118

Strange though as the West Brom site like you say has the Chelsea game on the 17th... Maybe the FA know something?
  • On the link you put up it says Chelsea have to play replay, but on the list it doesn't have them down.