Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone been to a match at Estadio da Luz, Lisbon?

Over in Portugal for a conference in late Nov, then staying on for a couple of nights in Lisbon. Coincides with a Benfica match. Anyone been? If so, care to share tips eg re getting tickets, best areas of ground, how early to arrive etc?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• No, but went to Stade Jose Alvalade to watch Sporting play Rapid Vienna a good few years back.
  • If that's the one where England played France in the Euros a few years back then yes
  • Saw England V Croatia there in Euro 2004. Doddle to get to on the train from Lisbon City Centre. One of my favourite grounds.
  • Tickets are very reasonable and available too Weegie - I have friends holidaying in the Algarve this week and they are heading up for the Man Utd match.
  • I'm on the way back from Oxford with someone who went a year back. As long as it's not Sporting or Porto you can turn up an hour early and buy at the ticket office. Shouldn't cost more than 30 euros.
  • edited October 2017

Over in Portugal for a conference in late Nov, then staying on for a couple of nights in Lisbon. Coincides with a Benfica match. Anyone been? If so, care to share tips eg re getting tickets, best areas of ground, how early to arrive etc?

Thanks in advance.

Coming back from Brasil in January I had six hours to kill as my flight was late. Easy enough to get to by tube from the airport.

It was the same architects used for Benfica and Arsenal. The grounds are identical. I much preferred the old Estadio da Luz, I went there in '91, one of the best grounds I have ever been to.
  • I have, but 36 years ago. Not sure I can be of much help now though :smile:
  • Went in 2004 for Portugal v England with @Nicholas and went again last August with the family to see Benfica v Vitoria Setubal which cost €80 for the four of us.

Bought them online a couple of days before and picked them up from the club shop and only a €1 booking fee. It does get pretty busy getting in so get there at least an hour beforehand.

• Helpful, thanks, especially @Wellingtentioned as the fixture we are looking at is v Vitoria Setubal too.
  • Went in 2004 for Portugal v England with @Nicholas and went again last August with the family to see Benfica v Vitoria Setubal which cost €80 for the four of us.

Bought them online a couple of days before and picked them up from the club shop and only a €1 booking fee. It does get pretty busy getting in so get there at least an hour beforehand.

Looks different from the Emirates...doesn't sweep up and down from the centre of the stands...
  • Sponsored links:

• Just bought the tickets online and got them emailed to print at home - nice and easy! Looking forward to it.
  • I went to their old stadium of light, a cavernous amphitheater.
    Saw them beat an Israeli side 5-0
  • Went last month, saw Benfica v Man Utd.

You cant get a cab straight to the stadium but to the Colombo mall beside it, which is pretty handy to go to before and get something to eat or afterwards as well. Again, to get a taxi you have to go back to the mall and line up which can take a while.

The ground itself is alcohol free so make sure you get your fill before going in.

The Eagle at the beginning is cool and the crowd can get into it, mind you, the champions league game was pretty garbage.

There is a ticket office right outside of the ground for walkups so you shouldnt have an issue getting tickets.
  • I went to their old stadium of light, a cavernous amphitheater.

I went there in the early 90's, one of the best grounds I have ever been to.

The new one is identical to the Emirates.
  • Saw England V Croatia there in Euro 2004. Doddle to get to on the train from Lisbon City Centre. One of my favourite grounds.

Whilst off sick from work.
  • Went last month, saw Benfica v Man Utd.

The ground itself is alcohol free so make sure you get your fill before going in.

That's because of the CL. It's the Liga Sagres (beer brand) so I'd be very surprised if no beer is available.

I'm seeing Sporting in 2 weeks tomorrow but am gonna have to make do with lower league games the rest of the weekend, they still haven't bloody confirmed who is playing when.
  • RedPanda said:

Went last month, saw Benfica v Man Utd.

That's because of the CL. It's the Liga Sagres (beer brand) so I'd be very surprised if no beer is available.

I'm seeing Sporting in 2 weeks tomorrow but am gonna have to make do with lower league games the rest of the weekend, they still haven't bloody confirmed who is playing when.
    You'll potentially enjoy the lower league stuff more.

As you'll know you can still get some decent grounds, and original ones with character.
  • If you're lucky you might get a double header.
  • edited November 2017

I went to their old stadium of light, a cavernous amphitheater.

I went there in the early 90's, one of the best grounds I have ever been to.

The new one is identical to the Emirates.
    I would of been there around the beginning of the 90’s, considering it was a European game, there weren’t many people there but the opposition weren’t much, so probably why. I just remember thinking how enormous it was, still the biggest ground I’ve ever been in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Of old stadiums I'd list Goodison Park as my favourite over here.

In Europe, after Benfica, I would say the Olympic Stadium in Stockholm is my favourite.
  • So here I am. All ready to support Benfica. Then who turns up as centre half for Vitoria Setubal? One José Semedo!
  • And Benfica are just flying an eagle into the stadium!
  • So here I am. All ready to support Benfica. Then who turns up as centre half for Vitoria Setubal? One José Semedo!

Booooo.... (Benfica, not Semedo).

How did Semedo play ?
  • edited November 2017
    Got any photos?
  • Benfica won 6-0 which unfortunately says a lot about how Semedo played! Nothing went right for them - man sent off before ht and goalie letting the 6th under his body.

Great experience if a bit too Palace/Arsenal for my liking! Goal celebrations very orchestrated and lacked spontaneity.

I do have a few snaps, @cafc4life, but afraid I am totally incompetent when it comes to uploading them on here...
  • edited November 2017
    Apologies for hijacking the thread but here are a few photos from Atletico Madrid's new ground, the Wanda Metropolitano, last month. We got there pretty early, as you can see.
  • Not very big, are they?