Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adobe Dreamweaver.

Does anyone on here use it?

I'm new to web design and I've just put together the basis for my new sight, it's very simple.

It appears to work fine on my local server but now need to chose a web host and upload and I believe that's where the problems can start?

I'd just be interested in having a chat. If anyone's willing?

Comments

• Look up Vidahost. They're very good and offer excellent support.
  • Have you got new glasses? :-)
  • If you're new to web design, also check out Wordpress.

In regards to hosting, there are heaps of options.
    If it's too cheap, you might have your site hosted on a slow server.
  • Erm...I've used Dreamweaver at work for the last 12 years. Just been updated to a licenced version of Dreamweaver CC but its rubbish.

My IT department sorted out all the FTP permissions, mind you.
    Just looking at the hosting permissions gives me a headache.

Most hosting sites like Fasthosts will give you instructions as how to set up Dreamweaver for their servers.
  • If it's for creating your own website then try wix.com. I used it for my website and found it really easy to use and fast to create really professional looking sites. My previous experience was with MS Frontpage. If you are used to using Microsoft Office then it will be easy to pick up and there are lots of templates to get you started.
  • edited September 2017
    wickford said:

Have you got new glasses? :-)

Looks like I should get some, it was after midnight so that's my excuse!
  • cafc-west said:

If it's for creating your own website then try wix.com. I used it for my website and found it really easy to use and fast to create really professional looking sites. My previous experience was with MS Frontpage. If you are used to using Microsoft Office then it will be easy to pick up and there are lots of templates to get you started.

Would agree with this. All the years I've pissed about writing HTML and doing everything from scratch, so much easier to use something like Wix.com or something along those lines. My own photography site is now hosted and run by format.com. You'll find something suitable for whatever you're trying to create.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Erm...I've used Dreamweaver at work for the last 12 years. Just been updated to a licenced version of Dreamweaver CC but its rubbish.

Most hosting sites like Fasthosts will give you instructions as how to set up Dreamweaver for their servers.

cafc-west said:

If it's for creating your own website then try wix.com. I used it for my website and found it really easy to use and fast to create really professional looking sites. My previous experience was with MS Frontpage. If you are used to using Microsoft Office then it will be easy to pick up and there are lots of templates to get you started.

JohnBoyUK said:

cafc-west said:

Would agree with this. All the years I've pissed about writing HTML and doing everything from scratch, so much easier to use something like Wix.com or something along those lines. My own photography site is now hosted and run by format.com. You'll find something suitable for whatever you're trying to create.
    I guess I'm old school and from the asking around that I've done previously, it seemed like learning code was still the professional way to go?

I was led to believe that by creating your own through Dreamweaver of which I have the latest version, or the like, one avoided paying all the extra costs, that ready made sites charge, when you want to add on or update?

Out of interest JohnBoy, could you send me a link to your site, cause that's what I do, so I can have a look?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Erm...I've used Dreamweaver at work for the last 12 years. Just been updated to a licenced version of Dreamweaver CC but its rubbish.

cafc-west said:

JohnBoyUK said:

cafc-west said:

I guess I'm old school and from the asking around that I've done previously, it seemed like learning code was still the professional way to go?

I was led to believe that by creating your own through Dreamweaver of which I have the latest version, or the like, one avoided paying all the extra costs, that ready made sites charge, when you want to add on or update?

Out of interest JohnBoy, could you send me a link to your site, cause that's what I do, so I can have a look?
    Done.

I can't send you a picture of the Dreamweaver site as its on our internal intranet.
  • Sponsored links:

• If it's for photography you might want to check out smugmug.com as well. Never used them myself though
  • edited September 2017
    I've got it but don't use it - For my job I pay adobe over £30 a month when there are only 3 products I need, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat, but I get access to them all! My brother might though - I'll check.
  • @JohnBoyUK please can you pm me a link to your site too. One day I will sort all my travel pics out and would be interested to see your WIX example. Many thanks. I have a draft Wordpress template site on the go, but things have moved on since I worked on that.
  • I got the below guys to setup my company website for me - well recommended.

w3webdesign.co.uk
  • WSA said:

@JohnBoyUK please can you pm me a link to your site too. One day I will sort all my travel pics out and would be interested to see your WIX example. Many thanks. I have a draft Wordpress template site on the go, but things have moved on since I worked on that.

I used the site builder at format.com for my website. Before that I was using flickr.
  • Think wix is a great introduction to website building, at least for me.

I spent a couple of days last year building a website, using the templates, and modifying them, as I have designed websites before, but find the encoding frankly tiresome. Of course I used all the gimmicks, the moving, animated stuff, more as try out.....

I designed about 8 pages but did not publish them. Frankly it was a bit too much, with graphics whizzing about, and dissolving graphics
    I tend to favour the big picture, panoramic design. A sort of edited picture book really.

Just playing about really, it is free and unlike dreamweaver not too intense, at least for the impatient type like me.
    I am currently working on a new project which includes my photography and digital images for a touring show around the UK on music, well I enjoy it anyway.
    Went back to life drawing classes last year, even done a few watercolours on the mac in photoshop....... just for enjoyment
    It is not a 'mystic art' web design... have a go.
  • Think wix is a great introduction to website building, at least for me.

I spent a couple of days last year building a website, using the templates, and modifying them, as I have designed websites before, but find the encoding frankly tiresome. Of course I used all the gimmicks, the moving, animated stuff, more as try out.....

I designed about 8 pages but did not publish them. Frankly it was a bit too much, with graphics whizzing about, and dissolving graphics
    I tend to favour the big picture, panoramic design. A sort of edited picture book really.

Just playing about really, it is free and unlike dreamweaver not too intense, at least for the impatient type like me.
    I am currently working on a new project which includes my photography and digital images for a touring show around the UK on music, well I enjoy it anyway.
    Went back to life drawing classes last year, even done a few watercolours on the mac in photoshop....... just for enjoyment
    It is not a 'mystic art' web design... have a go.

I have actually designed my website in Dreamweaver but just wanted to discuss the logistics of uploading to the web.
  • Fair enough, which is why I said I could not be bothered,(tiresome) as others have experienced Dreamweaver hosting issues see: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2363149.
    Good luck to yourself........
  • Fair enough, which is why I said I could not be bothered,(tiresome) as others have experienced Dreamweaver hosting issues see: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2363149.
    Good luck to yourself........

Thanks for the link, Ken.
  • edited September 2017
    riffraffuk.com

I made this using Wix and then pointed my domain at it. Really user friendly drag and drop and you can get into it deeper with SEO's etc if you want to. Reasonably priced as well for the upgrade packages.
  • Sponsored links:

• NugNug
    edited September 2017
    I started out learning html, css etc but just couldn't keep pace with it all. I now use wordpress to build sites and this is considered a professional way to do it. It's not just for blogs these days but a fully functioning CMS. You can find loads of templates to start from and then reformat them to your design or start from scratch. There are a load of plugins for seo, shops, contact forms, anything really you could want. Bit of a learning curve but if you already know some code you can make changes pretty easily. I found Dreamweaver very cumbersome and hard to learn. Another alternative to wix.com which isn't as large but has some stunning templates is squarespace.com. My design portfolio site is built in wordpress.
  • Nug said:

I started out learning html, css etc but just couldn't keep pace with it all. I now use wordpress to build sites and this is considered a professional way to do it. It's not just for blogs these days but a fully functioning CMS. You can find loads of templates to start from and then reformat them to your design or start from scratch. There are a load of plugins for seo, shops, contact forms, anything really you could want. Bit of a learning curve but if you already know some code you can make changes pretty easily. I found Dreamweaver very cumbersome and hard to learn. Another alternative to wix.com which isn't as large but has some stunning templates is squarespace.com. My design portfolio site is built in wordpress.

Nug can you send me a link, so I can take a look?