Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer window to shut before Premier League season starts next year

The transfer window will shut ­before the start of the season in sweeping new changes that are ­expected to be approved by the ­Premier League next month, ­Telegraph Sport has learned.

Under the proposed new rules it is understood that English top-flight clubs will be permitted to sell players to clubs in other countries, but transfer deals from one Premier League club to another are to be off limits when the season starts.

It remains unclear whether there will be any impact on the Football League at this stage, though it ­appears likely to be a formality in future.

Full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/14/transfer-revolution-window-shut-premier-league-season-starts/

Comments

• should always be this way
  • dont have an issue with that. In fact I'd go further and close the window once the season starts.
  • And January?
  • Much more sensible
  • Should be closed on the eve before the first game of the season
  • Should never close in my opinion for clubs outside the Premier League.
  • The transfer window should open the day after the season finishes and close the day before the season starts.
    With a 14 day window in January.

this .. except for the 'January window' .. one 'window' a year is enough, though many TV and newspaper pundits would be out of a job
  • The transfer window should open the day after the season finishes and close the day before the season starts.

this .. except for the 'January window' .. one 'window' a year is enough, though many TV and newspaper pundits would be out of a job
    Agree with you in principle.
    But i would allow a 14 day window in January to cover for any injuries the squad may have incurred
  • Sponsored links:

• I am a fan of this.

With regards to January, I would make it a loan only window for football league clubs. Prem clubs don't need to worry about injuries, it would encourage them to use some youngsters some more. Chelsea could then use some of the 775 players they have loaned out each season.
  • To make it interesting they could allow discussions to take place anytime. It the actual transfers can only happen on two days a year - say 31 December and 30 June. That would give Sky Sports News a chance to bring out the yellow ties and $hit and there would not be weeks and weeks of will they won't they.
  • edited August 2017
    How will the bigger teams (playing in Europe) feel about their rivals being able to strengthen for longer? This won't change the transfer window across Europe, just England.
  • How will the bigger teams (playing in Europe) feel about their rivals being able to strengthen for longer? This won't change the transfer window across Europe, just England.

Dont worry the big clubs will be demanding that the window reopen again for the original duration when the likes of Real Madrid are signing big names from Bayern at the end of August.
  • How will the bigger teams (playing in Europe) feel about their rivals being able to strengthen for longer? This won't change the transfer window across Europe, just England.

Dont worry the big clubs will be demanding that the window reopen again for the original duration when the likes of Real Madrid are signing big names from Bayern at the end of August.
    This, it can only be feasible if it is a worldwide or at least European wide agreement.
    Given the divides within in these two illustrious organisations, I can't see an agreement being reached anytime soon.

Also Fifa and FM wouldn't be as fun.
  • It could actually be good for the Football League of itbdidnt follow suit as players coming down from the Prem to the Championship allow championship sides to loan to L1 etc so having the Prem finalise their squads a month before the other 72 have to would make sense.
  • garfield said:

How will the bigger teams (playing in Europe) feel about their rivals being able to strengthen for longer? This won't change the transfer window across Europe, just England.

This, it can only be feasible if it is a worldwide or at least European wide agreement.
    Given the divides within in these two illustrious organisations, I can't see an agreement being reached anytime soon.
    This isn't possible with the season starting at different times across Europe - for example ligue 1 starts a week before and La liga starts after the prem.

Whatever they do sky sports and talk sport will bitch about it until they change it again. "The prem teams will never win the champions league whilst other European teams can sign players for longer" etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agreed, my point being that there would need to a general consensus over the opening times of the summer window, throughout the footballing world to make this equitable.
    E.g. A 6 - 8 week window taking into account the starting points of the major (European at least) leagues.
    It is a conundrum that will be difficult to resolve, however if it can be achieved, I think it will be beneficial.
  • To me this would be wrong if the European deadline is still the 31st August, as PL may end up under pressure from European clubs (e.g. Coutinho) and with no chance of buying a replacement or doing a swap deal.
  • garfield said:

Agreed, my point being that there would need to a general consensus over the opening times of the summer window, throughout the footballing world to make this equitable.
    E.g. A 6 - 8 week window taking into account the starting points of the major (European at least) leagues.
    It is a conundrum that will be difficult to resolve, however if it can be achieved, I think it will be beneficial.

Yeah, I can't see the big prem teams agreeing unless something like this were to happen. They'd be paying even bigger fees to get their players in a limited timeframe comparative to their rivals otherwise.

I am still surprised there hasn't been a challenge (or at least a strong challenge) from players over their inability to change clubs outside of the windows.
  • Something I've been in favor of for a long time. My concern is the law of unintended consequences, i.e. will there be trickle down effects for clubs further down the pyramid, like with the ending of the emergency loan system where that makes a lot of sense on many levels, but it means that we can't loan out some of our youngsters with the ability to recall them or on a short-term basis.
  • To me this would be wrong if the European deadline is still the 31st August, as PL may end up under pressure from European clubs (e.g. Coutinho) and with no chance of buying a replacement or doing a swap deal.

The PL wouldn't agree to this unless it was a rule throughout UEFA.

• SDAddick said:

Something I've been in favor of for a long time. My concern is the law of unintended consequences, i.e. will there be trickle down effects for clubs further down the pyramid, like with the ending of the emergency loan system where that makes a lot of sense on many levels, but it means that we can't loan out some of our youngsters with the ability to recall them or on a short-term basis.

that's already been scrapped
  • Is there not a risk that, the more restrictions are applied, the greater the likelihood that PL clubs will want to hoover up as many youngsters as possible while the window is open 'just in case'?

Further restricting or preventing outward loans won't act as a deterrent to the top clubs who can afford to have (relatively low earning) reserve or youth players kicking around the training ground all year.

I get the idea in theory, but I'm not sure the potential unintended consequences have been thought through.

Here's a radical idea - why not scrap the window completely?
  • edited August 2017
    This is what the Premier League web site says about transfer windows:

"Windows were introduced as part of a compromise agreement with the European Commission about how the whole transfer system worked and how it could best preserve contractual stability for both the player and the club while allowing movement at prescribed times during the year – the summer and winter transfer windows in effect.

The alternative was to bring football in line with most other industries where contracts were not enforceable or liable for appropriate compensation, i.e. notice periods being served and players moving at will. The football authorities across Europe felt this would fatally undermine the footballing economy and remove the incentive for clubs to invest in developing players". All the bold bits are my emphasis.

So, how has that worked? Well virtually every club in Europe is technically bankrupt, so the windows system has failed to support the laughable concept of there being a viable "footballing economy". And we now have the situation whereby clubs like Chelsea can hoover up youth talent on an industrial scale: thereby making the viability of clubs bringing on youth players highly questionable. (See Brentford as an example of a club which decided to bin its high quality academy and what they are doing now https://theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts)

So, in short, transfer windows are a farce. They should be binned entirely and players should be free to move whenever they want as long as they serve out whatever their notice period is in their contract or buy it out. The only restriction should be at the end of the season (to avoid clubs buying their way out of relegation) and should only be on players actually playing, not moving between clubs (like when we got Hermann Hreidarsson from Ipswich). Being "cup-tied" as a concept should also be scrapped. Who gives a crap?

What would happen? Well, presumably players' transfer costs would plummet. Because nobody would risk paying a large transfer fee for a player that might move in three months. "Signing on" fees and other daft concepts like so-called loyalty bonuses could be scrapped (or only become payable after, say five years rather than annually. Thus the "footballing economy" would be on a much sounder footing. Players would have to sack their agents and supporters would have to get used to an even larger churn of players. Maybe season ticket prices could come down too!
  • edited August 2017
    Jodaius said:

Is there not a risk that, the more restrictions are applied, the greater the likelihood that PL clubs will want to hoover up as many youngsters as possible while the window is open 'just in case'?

Further restricting or preventing outward loans won't act as a deterrent to the top clubs who can afford to have (relatively low earning) reserve or youth players kicking around the training ground all year.

I get the idea in theory, but I'm not sure the potential unintended consequences have been thought through.

Here's a radical idea - why not scrap the window completely?

That's what it used to be before 2002 - although it closed on 31 March each year.

The introduction of the windows was part of a deal done with the EU and it won't change. The alternative was freedom of movement along the same lines as a normal employment contract - player serves notice, works notice, then walks away. None of the football clubs wanted that!!

Edit: Just saw cafcfan beat me to it.

• EFL SET FOR TRANSFER TALKS

After it was announced Premier League clubs would discuss the proposed introduction of a new summer transfer window that closes before the opening game of next season, the EFL have released the following statement:

“The EFL Board and its Clubs have previously expressed the opinion that closing the summer transfer window in advance of the season commencing would be an improvement on the current position.

“On this basis we will be tabling the matter for discussion with Clubs in September.

“It will be important that all the consequences of such a decision are fully considered, as the requirements of our Clubs are different to those in Europe’s top flight leagues.”