Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Pass service

Comments

• edited August 2017
    My valley pass doesn't download the commentary using IE. I get as far as the screen and then get the spinning red balls trying to connect without success. I get all the other videos but not the commentary. Changed to Chrome and got the Exeter version of the commentary, while my Ipad is connecting to another Exeter commentary. I'm confused. Any advice or help line available?
  • sadamson84

if the extended highlights went up on Sunday where were they on Monday or even now as all that is shown is 1m 53s of goals. Having paid an annual fee I was expecting to be able to watch extended highlights but where are they?

They're not in the highlights section. The short ones are but the extended ones are only on the homepage of the valley pass section of the website.

The way it's organised at the moment is a complete mess. The "Valley Stories" Interviews aren't in the section named "Interviews" but the "How to use the valley pass archive" video is. Similarly, the extended Highlights from Saturday isn't in the "Highlights" section.

There are some nice bits, was nice watching that Curbs interview on my TV via chromecast which is nicely implemented unlike a lot of sites. But it's generally a bit of a mess.
    The Alan Curbishley video is in the Valley Stories section (bottom right on VP dropdown menu) https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/valley-stories

I admit the How to use the archive video shouldn't be in there and was placed by mistake when testing so I'll make sure this is corrected.

Thanks for letting me know about the extended highlights, I will make sure in future they are automatically pulled through, they probably weren't tagged correctly so we will tidy all of this up.
    Great communication, it is appreciated.

I didn't even know the drop down bit existed so thanks for that.

I'm not sure how many you have planned but it might be an idea to add a "Valley Stories" section to the main valley pass page (alongside highlights, interviews etc.?). As I said, not sure if the amount you'll be doing will make it worth it but might be an idea!
  • When you register, how long before you can use Valley Pass?

Should be straight away
  • When you register, how long before you can use Valley Pass?

As stated above, pretty much straight away. I think you have to confirm your account from an e-mail they send to you, then you're good to go.
  • can someone change the thread title?
  • It is a shame that too often the commentators yesterday left listeners in the dark especially with regards to breaks in play and re starts.
    Frequently something might happen, added to by the crowd noise, then there would be a two person analysis or an attempt at a verbal replay. Meanwhile I would be left wondering 'well is it a corner of goal kick, is it a free kick or throw in and to which side?'.
    The problem would be some action that would be reacted to and after a while it would then be 'Solly with the throw, or Amos places it for a goal kick (when it might have been a corner for all we were told) and stuff like that. It was OK for the first quarter when the first commentator was allowed to complete his sentences or phrases before the second one cut in.
    However after that and the change of commentator, the co commentator was so eager to jump in it obscured the basic information such as 'a throw in to Plymouth'. There was an extended bit about how many times the referee could have allowed play to continue, or maybe played an advantage that shouldn't have happened, which left me in the dark as to what actually happened.
    Banter, colour, descriptions of the players boots etc are great, but my advice is to provide the basic fundamental information first, then extemporize. As a listener I am blind to what happens and depend on the commentator to tell me. From the commentators point of view I accept the temptation to get excited and involved which is fine, but the first duty is to be accurate about the facts of the events.
    In terms of general play it was normally OK yesterday.
    Mind you the impression of how Charlton played yesterday was at odds with the player marks given. The co commentator in the last section to his credit did express some frustration about our inflexibility in our set up.
    Yesterday was not a disaster as a listener, but a bit 5.5 out of ten. Valley Pass is sold as a 'premium' service and in my view it could still be better.
  • seth plum said:

It is a shame that too often the commentators yesterday left listeners in the dark especially with regards to breaks in play and re starts.
    Frequently something might happen, added to by the crowd noise, then there would be a two person analysis or an attempt at a verbal replay. Meanwhile I would be left wondering 'well is it a corner of goal kick, is it a free kick or throw in and to which side?'.
    The problem would be some action that would be reacted to and after a while it would then be 'Solly with the throw, or Amos places it for a goal kick (when it might have been a corner for all we were told) and stuff like that. It was OK for the first quarter when the first commentator was allowed to complete his sentences or phrases before the second one cut in.
    However after that and the change of commentator, the co commentator was so eager to jump in it obscured the basic information such as 'a throw in to Plymouth'. There was an extended bit about how many times the referee could have allowed play to continue, or maybe played an advantage that shouldn't have happened, which left me in the dark as to what actually happened.
    Banter, colour, descriptions of the players boots etc are great, but my advice is to provide the basic fundamental information first, then extemporize. As a listener I am blind to what happens and depend on the commentator to tell me. From the commentators point of view I accept the temptation to get excited and involved which is fine, but the first duty is to be accurate about the facts of the events.
    Mind you the impression of how Charlton played yesterday was at odds with the player marks given. The co commentator in the last section to his credit did express some frustration about our inflexibility in our set up.
    Yesterday was not a disaster as a listener, but a bit 5.5 out of ten. Valley Pass is sold as a 'premium' service and in my view it could still be better.

Seth, appreciate you're being constructive but I personally think your comments are slightly harsh.

We're not perfect by any means and by your standards 5.5 seems fairly generous, but still, I couldn't see why you couldn't private message us with some comments.

I don't agree with everything you have written and being a previous listener of the commentary myself, I operate on what I would want to hear.

Personally, when a ball goes out for a goal kick, I'd rather hear what a commentator makes of the match or a previous bit of play rather than how the ballboy is retrieving the ball.

However, that's maybe due to preference.

I think overall, we described well (I do listen back too), offered as much insight as possible and judging by the match thread, each chance was described.

Nonetheless, like I said, myself and Terry are not perfect but are volunteers so that's understandable.

If there's anything else, just message me. The way you write it makes it sound like listening to us is a chore which I like to think isn't the case.

Greg
    The private message invitation was via twitter which I don't have.
    I admit to listening very intently, maybe that is where you feel that listening is a chore for me, but it is because I do the match thread on here (rightly or wrongly I don't know) and I want to say as soon as possible whether it is a corner or goal kick, or a free kick this way or that way, or a throw to one side or the other.
    I also appreciate that you operate on what you would want to hear, I post as feedback as to what I would want to hear, maybe it is only me.
    I am sorry to hear that you and Terry are volunteers, and as I have asked before, maybe you are out of pocket as well as time by doing the commentary. If you are, well the service is something we pay for and I would hope you and Terry are reimbursed fully as a result. It is a grey area if we buy something, but feedback has to be eggshell-like because you are volunteers. For me previously it was less of a problem because there was usually a couple of commentaries to choose from.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

It is a shame that too often the commentators yesterday left listeners in the dark especially with regards to breaks in play and re starts.

Seth, appreciate you're being constructive but I personally think your comments are slightly harsh.

We're not perfect by any means and by your standards 5.5 seems fairly generous, but still, I couldn't see why you couldn't private message us with some comments.

I don't agree with everything you have written and being a previous listener of the commentary myself, I operate on what I would want to hear.

Personally, when a ball goes out for a goal kick, I'd rather hear what a commentator makes of the match or a previous bit of play rather than how the ballboy is retrieving the ball.

I think overall, we described well (I do listen back too), offered as much insight as possible and judging by the match thread, each chance was described.

Nonetheless, like I said, myself and Terry are not perfect but are volunteers so that's understandable.

If there's anything else, just message me. The way you write it makes it sound like listening to us is a chore which I like to think isn't the case.

Greg
    I admit to listening very intently, maybe that is where you feel that listening is a chore for me, but it is because I do the match thread on here (rightly or wrongly I don't know) and I want to say as soon as possible whether it is a corner or goal kick, or a free kick this way or that way, or a throw to one side or the other.
    I also appreciate that you operate on what you would want to hear, I post as feedback as to what I would want to hear, maybe it is only me.
    I am sorry to hear that you and Terry are volunteers, and as I have asked before, maybe you are out of pocket as well as time by doing the commentary. If you are, well the service is something we pay for and I would hope you and Terry are reimbursed fully as a result. It is a grey area if we buy something, but feedback has to be eggshell-like because you are volunteers. For me previously it was less of a problem because there was usually a couple of commentaries to choose from.
    In regards to the message, I meant you could have done it on here rather than Twitter.

Believe me, if there's a goal kick or free kick we do our best to describe as much about it or what's happening on the pitch as we can.

We're aware of how important the match thread is on here and how you value that input from us.

We very much value feedback - positive and negative - but on this occasion, I'm not exactly clear on what we did wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Greg
    Not for the first time Seth - our commentators are well looked after and are certainly not left out of pocket under any circumstances!
    For the record, we're extremely happy with the job Greg and Terry do and feedback we receive elsewhere certainly supports this.
    10/10 from me.
    Olly if I am in a minority of one I accept that. You may have a system for gathering feed back, or it may be more, err, organic.
    My post is simply about wanting to know the situation when the ball goes dead immediately.
    As a club employee you are admirable in promotiñg the service, which incidentally I have praised on quite a number of occasions. However it is Greg who said he and Terry are volunteers, and I ran with that, if 'well looked after' is code for being paid a match fee then I am extremely pleased to hear that.
  • edited August 2017
    Had no problem with the commentary.......let's no forget these guys are amateur volunteers and as such are doing a fine job as far as I'm concerned.
    One small thing, I would like to be told/reminded a couple of times at the beginning of each half which way-we are kicking, left to right or right to left, which I find very useful in order to picture in my mind what's going on.
  • Aside from the commentary being a bit behind the actual game I have found VP to be quite wonderful so far!! However since I'm getting the games beamed back to the US a bit of lag is going to happen naturally so no real complaints from me.
  • Had no problem with the commentary.......let's no forget these guys are amateur volunteers and as such are doing a fine job as far as I'm concerned.
    One small thing, I would like to be told/reminded a couple of times at the beginning of each half which way-we are kicking, left to right or right to left, which I find very useful in order to picture in my mind what's going on.

No worries SA - i'll be sure to mention this each match from now on.
  • Had no problem with the commentary.......let's no forget these guys are amateur volunteers and as such are doing a fine job as far as I'm concerned.

No worries SA - i'll be sure to mention this each match from now on.
    Cheers.
  • Personally I think the commentary is excellent and compares very well with the commentary from other clubs which I have occasionally listened to in the past.

I enjoy the comments in between the pieces of action and love the fact that your passion for Charlton shines through.

I agree it's all a matter of personal preference, but it certainly works for me.
  • edited August 2017
    Same here. Have enjoyed the commentary from Greg and Tel for a few years now. And others including Louis and Lewis? Who have also been involved.

No complaint from me I find the commentary insightful and entertaining.
  • Agree with Canters, thought Greg on his own for the Rovers match managed very well.
    Keep going Greg and Tel
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheers guys - appreciated.

I am glad I am not the only poster who has mentioned a specific that can be improved.

It does seem a tricky area to provide reaction to this service as any negative feedback is interpreted as criticism or harsh. It seems we have to walk on eggshells and the reason for this is because the all male people working in the communications area are nice guys, proper Charlton, and in some cases are described as volunteers.

When I have written feedback type stuff the reaction has sometimes been prickly and the attitude of the comms team has been rather precious in a 'we can do no wrong' kind of way.

There is also confusion for me at least.

For example Charlton Live and Valley Pass are supposed to be separate yet content is frequently shared. On Sunday we heard Karl Robinson on Charlton Live, yet it wasn't until Monday that we got the usual filmed post match interview on Valley Pass. I believe Alan's Curbishley stuff was shared content.

Another area of confusion for me is how objective feedback is (mine is totally subjective) and there seems to be a risk of self satisfaction where in my view they should always strive to improve (like the volume of the Tannoy system this Saturday against Northampton).

Yet another area, which is often used as a shield against any feedback that isn't fulsome with praise, is that the commentators are volunteers. This is surely a bit of an obfuscation. We pay good money for this Valley Pass monopoly, but because the most important people working in the enterprise are volunteers we are at risk of being called a big baddie if we are critical. The logic is that all the staff can work as volunteers then, but of course they don't.

Tony Keohane gets a wage and a car at our expense, he is paid because we pay. He is open to criticism. Perhaps if Tony Keohane worked for nothing he would get an easier ride.

We pay for Valley Pass too and criticism can't be fended off behind a shield that those who work in that paid for service are proper Charlton good guy volunteers. We are the punters, and we shell out.

Put simply if we pay for something we are entitled to react, and in my case I attempt to react with detail and suggestions, yet I am admittedly persistent too.

• I think the reason that you feel you need to tread on egg shells, is because on more than one occasion you have been asked to deal with them on a one to one basis.

However, you persist in criticising them publicly and in terms of the volume of criticisms you make, you are by far out on your own.

I think it wouldn't be inaccurate to say you are more critical than everyone else put together.

Why keep ignoring the polite requests of the team, who are fellow supporters ?
  • I think the reason that you feel you need to tread on egg shells, is because on more than one occasion you have been asked to deal with them on a one to one basis.

However, you persist in criticising them publicly and in terms of the volume of criticisms you make, you are by far out on your own.

I think it wouldn't be inaccurate to say you are more critical than everyone else put together.

Why keep ignoring the polite requests of the team, who are fellow supporters ?

I have exchanged emails previously.
    You amongst others describe what I say as critical, do you actually read what I write?
  • edited August 2017
    Seth........I think you have backed yourself into a corner mate.
    Let it go, what's the point of dragging this out.
    I've done similar myself in the past, it can happen when you are worried that people may think you are being out of order.
    I don't think anyone particularly thought that but you're now in danger of making a far bigger issue out of this topic than it really is and people will get irritated with you.
    As I say, I've done similar myself in the past and you just get nowhere.
    Looks like the big majority don't agree with you....just leave it at that....no ones offended and you don't have to defend your position.
    End of mate.
  • Seth........I think you have backed yourself into a corner mate.
    I've done similar myself in the past, it can happen when you are worried that people may think you are being out of order.
    I don't think anyone particularly thought that but you're now in danger of making a far bigger issue out of this topic than it really is and people will get irritated with you.
    Looks like the big majority don't agree with you....just leave it at that....no ones offended and you don't have to defend your position.
    End of mate.

OK.

I shall refrain from giving what I call feedback but others call criticism, and I shall simply have to accept whatever service is put out there with no comment.
  • edited August 2017
    seth plum said:

End of mate.

OK.

I shall refrain from giving what I call feedback but others call criticism, and I shall simply have to accept whatever service is put out there with no comment.
    You have the ability to stop being a lifetime victim. It's a choice you can make.

If you're not happy speak to them privately, the offer is there.
  • seth plum said:

End of mate.

OK.

You have the ability to stop being a lifetime victim. It's a choice you can make.

'Lifetime victim'?
    What do you mean by that?
  • edited August 2017
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

End of mate.

OK.

'Lifetime victim'?
    http://www.lifehack.org/287448/14-signs-someone-always-playing-the-victim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_playing
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

End of mate.

OK.

'Lifetime victim'?
    http://www.lifehack.org/287448/14-signs-someone-always-playing-the-victim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_playing
    Thank you for this information. many things you have listed could be attributed to me from time to time, probably to others too. However you sit in judgement over me based on what I write here which is an impressive skill, but what I write is not everything about me, and certainly not a 'lifetime'.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/15-signs-youre-arrogant-though-you-dont-feel-like-you-are.html