Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Pass service

Comments

• Also more generally does anyone know why Karl has stopped doing his pre match lineups chat? I quite enjoyed that.

Got sick of the "shut up you fat scouse prick" comments on here?

I agree, I appreciated that and given they went up something like ten minutes before kickoff it wasn't exactly feeding the opposition secret knowledge.
  • Who did curbs pick in his all time XI?
  • edited August 2017

@sadamson84 hi mate. Will any content be going out on YouTube for those who don't subscribe to valley pass?

We used to get shortened highlights and the full interview from press day and after the game also players interview post match. I get you want to make Valley Pass an attractive proposition but for those who don't want it will there be short highlights and even a couple of mins from his interviews?

When the main selling point of VP is the match commentary it is not worth £60 to those who attend regularly but they are now getting much less content than last season.

Looks like we'll have to rely on other clubs for our post match highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubASgaanns

Shame to give the hits to Bristol Rovers' channel really...
  • @sadamson84 hi mate. Will any content be going out on YouTube for those who don't subscribe to valley pass?

We used to get shortened highlights and the full interview from press day and after the game also players interview post match. I get you want to make Valley Pass an attractive proposition but for those who don't want it will there be short highlights and even a couple of mins from his interviews?

When the main selling point of VP is the match commentary it is not worth £60 to those who attend regularly but they are now getting much less content than last season.

Looks like we'll have to rely on other clubs for our post match highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubASgaanns

Shame to give the hits to Bristol Rovers' channel really...
    It is a shame. We still don't even get brief coverage from interviews or anything. Disappointed.
  • edited August 2017
    SDAddick said:

Also more generally does anyone know why Karl has stopped doing his pre match lineups chat? I quite enjoyed that.

I agree, I appreciated that and given they went up something like ten minutes before kickoff it wasn't exactly feeding the opposition secret knowledge.
    Yeah but I never understood that criticism personally. I liked to know how the team would like up and it was good to hear from the manager.

He never gave any more detail than could be worked out from how the players lined up for kick off anyway. Didn't see any harm in it myself.
  • SDAddick said:

Also more generally does anyone know why Karl has stopped doing his pre match lineups chat? I quite enjoyed that.

Yeah but I never understood that criticism personally. I liked to know how the team would like up and it was good to hear from the manager.

He never gave any more detail than could be worked out from how the players lined up for kick off anyway. Didn't see any harm in it myself.
    Agreed, and there were times when he said one thing and then the shape of the team was slightly different. But there wasn't anything serious that could be gained from those 1 minute clips that couldn't be figured out from the team sheet.

We're only one game in, and I recall him doing one for UCD in pre-season, maybe he'll go back to doing them.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Agreed, and there were times when he said one thing and then the shape of the team was slightly different. But there wasn't anything serious that could be gained from those 1 minute clips that couldn't be figured out from the team sheet.

We're only one game in, and I recall him doing one for UCD in pre-season, maybe he'll go back to doing them.
    Exactly. I hope so.
  • wmcf123 said:

Who did curbs pick in his all time XI?

Kiely

Young Rufus Costa Powell

Lee Kinsella Parker Robinson

Mendonca Bent

Really good interview
    What a team!
  • @sadamson84 hi mate. Will any content be going out on YouTube for those who don't subscribe to valley pass?

Hi there-

There are different levels of subscription for Valley Pass so we will be pushing content onto there as more than YouTube. Some will be freemium content which isn't marked with a subscribe sash. This can be watched by registering and then just logging in so you don't need a subscription for this.

Short highlights are free to watch on VP from 12noon the next day.

Hope this helps
  • Sponsored links:

Hi there-

There are different levels of subscription for Valley Pass so we will be pushing content onto there as more than YouTube. Some will be freemium content which isn't marked with a subscribe sash. This can be watched by registering and then just logging in so you don't need a subscription for this.

Hope this helps
    Okay thanks wasn't aware of this. I'll check it out.
  • wmcf123 said:

Who did curbs pick in his all time XI?

Kiely

Young Rufus Costa Powell

Lee Kinsella Parker Robinson

Mendonca Bent

Really good interview
    Thank you.
  • Dependent on Valley Pass commentary this evening.
  • edited August 2017
    Should just be an all in one thing. Make it simple. You pay the required amount and then get access to all the content.

1 month free trail insert card details prior to that. That's just normal, not a problem. Of course you have the freedom to cancel within the 1st month.

I love the idea of having easy access to the old classic stuff along with interviews from respected charlton ex's, like Alan Curbishley.

I personally would not subscribe now due to the feedback on here. Sounds unnecessarily complex selfish and desperate.

Why would I need to see an extended Karl Robinson interview? Why pay for that when we are used to getting that routine kind of day to day thing for free?

It's an insult. Fans of charlton (the only potential subscribers of the service) do not want their intelligence insulted. I was put off by a Facebook video that stopped a KR interview 20 seconds in, and said I had to subscribe to see the rest.

They have got half of this right and half of it wrong.

They should also really consider the possibility of creating a valley pass app for your phone. Easy on the go access for when on a train or something. (We love trains)

Then they could perhaps charge more for the service. Would appear to be more solid and organized.

Brief content list.

1.Tickets. Easy quick efficient way to get them. Maybe 5 or 10% off for valley pass members (incentive)

2. Old content and extended interviews from charlton legends. History lesson. Nice little reminder on how the club started. Our most historic moments on and off the field. The trophies we've won. All time top scorers in a list. All the stats etc.

3. Junior reds bit

4. This season - extended highlights. Maybe upcoming away day advice. Player interviews. Things going on at the club etc. get involved. Match commentary.

5. Free bit that doesn't require being a member. 1-2min highlights 3 or 4 days after match. KR post match pre match. General pressers.. League table, fixtures. Not too much, still need incentive to part way with cash.

That's maybe a service I would probably consider paying for.

App format would give it a huge boost. I don't know how much that would cost or what would be involved with getting that set up, but they need to take risks and ones that customers will benefit from.

Then "the website" is mobile accessible.

The content sounds good. Build around it. Don't waste people's time.

• sadamson84

if the extended highlights went up on Sunday where were they on Monday or even now as all that is shown is 1m 53s of goals. Having paid an annual fee I was expecting to be able to watch extended highlights but where are they?
  • Seeing as it is so tricky to get to and no club travel, tonights game would be a sensible live stream I would have thought!
  • Dave2l said:

Should just be an all in one thing. Make it simple. You pay the required amount and then get access to all the content.

1 month free trail insert card details prior to that. That's just normal, not a problem. Of course freedom to cancel within the 1st month.

I love the idea of having easy access to the old classic stuff along with interviews from respected charlton ex's, like Alan Curbishley.

I personally would not subscribe now due to the feedback on here. Sounds unnecessarily complex selfish and desperate.

Why would I need to see an extended Karl Robinson interview? Why pay for that when we are used to getting that routine kind of day to day thing for free?

It's an insult. Fans of charlton (only potential customers of the service) do not really want their intelligence insulted.

They havegot half of this right and half of it wrong.

They should also really consider the possibility of creating the valley pass app.

Simple. Then they could charge more for the service.

1. tickets. Easy quick efficient way to get them. Maybe 5 or 10% off for valley pass members (incentive)

2. Old content and extended interviews from charlton legends. History lesson. Nice little reminder on how the club started. Our most historic moments on and off the field. The trophies we've won. All time top scorers in a list. All the stats etc.

3. Junior reds bit

4. This season - extended highlights. Maybe upcoming away day advice. Player interviews. Things going on at the club etc. get involved. Match commentary.

5. Free bit that doesn't require being a member. 1-2min highlights 3 or 4 days after match. KM interviews. League table, fixtures. Not too much, still need incentive to part way with cash.

A service I would probably consider paying for.

App format would give it a huge boost. I don't know how much that would cost or what would be involved with getting that set up, but they need to take risks and ones that customers will benefit from.

Then "the website" is mobile accessible.

This seems to go in waves, but there has been kind of a movement away from apps (at least in my little corner of the tech world) because maintaining them and testing them across different devices (namely all the different Android devices) is a pain, and there is a question of how many people actually utilize it versus just using the mobile browser version of a site.

That said, the new site is not super responsive, at least in my experience. I should add that I usually have the "zoom" on because I have bad eyes, but some of the displays are still a little wonky on mobile.

I can tell you the other clubs in the league have mobile apps and they're not great. Not terrible, but there's nothing in there that couldn't be done as well, if not better, with a mobile responsive site.

I agree that it would be good to have things like ticketing, the highlights service, and even the shop under one umbrella where you could use your login credentials for one and it would apply across all of them. That may be something that's coming in the future, but I can tell you from personal experience sometimes "Single Sign-On" (SSO) seems really simple, but it's actually incredibly complex depending on what you're using to do each thing (e.g. one system for ticketing, one for the shop, and one for the multimedia content).

I'm not saying you don't bring up some good points in terms of ease of use. I would say that VP isn't all that terrible or anything, and it's less clunky than the "iFollow" stuff that the rest of the league clubs with their identikit sites have, it's just got some bugs in it.

Hi there-

Hope this helps
    While we have you here, can I ask if you're able to discuss if there has been any discussion about potentially opening up the ability for overseas supporters to live stream the video for matches? The 'iFollow" service is used by the rest of the league and I imagine it's done through their (frankly rubbish) identikit websites. Can you talk about if it's possible for Charlton to opt-in to that and if it's something the club has considered? I can tell you that there will be some of us who will put money into the coffers of other clubs using the iFollow service to watch Charlton this year.

No worries if you can't talk about it, I understand these are difficult business decisions.
  • edited August 2017

sadamson84

if the extended highlights went up on Sunday where were they on Monday or even now as all that is shown is 1m 53s of goals. Having paid an annual fee I was expecting to be able to watch extended highlights but where are they?

They're not in the highlights section. The short ones are but the extended ones are only on the homepage of the valley pass section of the website.

The way it's organised at the moment is a complete mess. The "Valley Stories" Interviews aren't in the section named "Interviews" but the "How to use the valley pass archive" video is. Similarly, the extended Highlights from Saturday isn't in the "Highlights" section.

There are some nice bits, was nice watching that Curbs interview on my TV via chromecast which is nicely implemented unlike a lot of sites. But it's generally a bit of a mess.
  • I am absolutely useless with computers, trust me anything that can go wrong does go wrong.....but I have to say that Valley Pass has been a piece of wee wee to set up and use..............thus far that is.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Dave2l said:

This seems to go in waves, but there has been kind of a movement away from apps (at least in my little corner of the tech world) because maintaining them and testing them across different devices (namely all the different Android devices) is a pain, and there is a question of how many people actually utilize it versus just using the mobile browser version of a site.

That said, the new site is not super responsive, at least in my experience. I should add that I usually have the "zoom" on because I have bad eyes, but some of the displays are still a little wonky on mobile.

I can tell you the other clubs in the league have mobile apps and they're not great. Not terrible, but there's nothing in there that couldn't be done as well, if not better, with a mobile responsive site.

I agree that it would be good to have things like ticketing, the highlights service, and even the shop under one umbrella where you could use your login credentials for one and it would apply across all of them. That may be something that's coming in the future, but I can tell you from personal experience sometimes "Single Sign-On" (SSO) seems really simple, but it's actually incredibly complex depending on what you're using to do each thing (e.g. one system for ticketing, one for the shop, and one for the multimedia content).

I'm not saying you don't bring up some good points in terms of ease of use. I would say that VP isn't all that terrible or anything, and it's less clunky than the "iFollow" stuff that the rest of the league clubs with their identikit sites have, it's just got some bugs in it.
    I guess there's always going to be issues. They have proven to be amateurs at mostly everything else. Can't expect a top notch service.

Just like to point out I meant KR interviews in free bit, not KM.
  • I created an account and logged in on Saturday, took about 5 minutes. If there were any teething problems, they weren't apparent to me at that time.
  • So far it's been very easy to use.
  • SDAddick said:

@sadamson84 hi mate. Will any content be going out on YouTube for those who don't subscribe to valley pass?

Hi there-

Hope this helps
    While we have you here, can I ask if you're able to discuss if there has been any discussion about potentially opening up the ability for overseas supporters to live stream the video for matches? The 'iFollow" service is used by the rest of the league and I imagine it's done through their (frankly rubbish) identikit websites. Can you talk about if it's possible for Charlton to opt-in to that and if it's something the club has considered? I can tell you that there will be some of us who will put money into the coffers of other clubs using the iFollow service to watch Charlton this year.

No worries if you can't talk about it, I understand these are difficult business decisions.
    Think I've mentioned it before but to answer your question yes we have looked into it and will continue to look at it so although it's not something we have plans for this season we will review it regularly based on how much international demand there is.

The simple thing would be to just connect the ITN central camera into our website which we would love to do and is relatively simple but the price quoted by the EFL is far too high. You also have to pay a license fee and also an additional encryption cost per game so you need a lot of subscribers to make it financially viable.
  • When you register, how long before you can use Valley Pass?
  • I admit I had my woes with the service at first, but now it's working fantastic for me. If anyone uses Chromecast, the site works perfectly with it via Chrome...currently watching the extended highlights on the telly!
  • sadamson84

They're not in the highlights section. The short ones are but the extended ones are only on the homepage of the valley pass section of the website.

The way it's organised at the moment is a complete mess. The "Valley Stories" Interviews aren't in the section named "Interviews" but the "How to use the valley pass archive" video is. Similarly, the extended Highlights from Saturday isn't in the "Highlights" section.

There are some nice bits, was nice watching that Curbs interview on my TV via chromecast which is nicely implemented unlike a lot of sites. But it's generally a bit of a mess.
    The Alan Curbishley video is in the Valley Stories section (bottom right on VP dropdown menu) https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/valley-stories

I admit the How to use the archive video shouldn't be in there and was placed by mistake when testing so I'll make sure this is corrected.

Thanks for letting me know about the extended highlights, I will make sure in future they are automatically pulled through, they probably weren't tagged correctly so we will tidy all of this up.
  • sadamson84

They were on the VP home page, however noted that they didn't appear correctly on the highlights section so this will be fixed going forward
  • Also more generally does anyone know why Karl has stopped doing his pre match lineups chat? I quite enjoyed that.

Perhaps he read my comments bemoaning the fact he was giving the opposition the heads up.

I know most disagreed with me, but I reckon Rovers would have loved being told Magennis was out.
  • SDAddick said:

Hi there-

Hope this helps

Think I've mentioned it before but to answer your question yes we have looked into it and will continue to look at it so although it's not something we have plans for this season we will review it regularly based on how much international demand there is.

The simple thing would be to just connect the ITN central camera into our website which we would love to do and is relatively simple but the price quoted by the EFL is far too high. You also have to pay a license fee and also an additional encryption cost per game so you need a lot of subscribers to make it financially viable.
    Thanks a lot for this and for your comment on the live stream thread. I really appreciate you coming on here and explaining this stuff to us.

I'm only half joking when I say tell me how many subscribers you need me to find for this to be fiscally viable and I will find them!