Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Music You've Grown To Like

Just heard Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street on DID. Used to hate it when I was young, but now think it's a great track. A bit wider in scope I didn't like soul at all; I just wrote off a whole genre. Now I love it - which is great because all those back catalogues become a new playground.

Comments

• Jazz. Not the three people playing different tunes at the same time stuff, the lounge type.
  • Opera
  • Blues for me.
  • Country music. Used to hate it because my father in law used to play it every time I went over my wife's old house but now I love a bit of Country. Rascal Flatts especially
    Elvis too. Was never keen but I like listening to him now.
  • edited July 2017
    Skepta
  • edited July 2017
    English Folk, so stuff like The Unthanks and Seth Lakeman
  • Death Metal.
  • Country music. Used to hate it because my father in law used to play it every time I went over my wife's old house but now I love a bit of Country. Rascal Flatts especially

Got into C&W through the Carter Family who were touted by great songwriters as influences. Johnny Cash 'Hurt' is a current favourite.
  • Jazz, country and 'world' music. Especially the music of west africa and the tuareg blues music from Mali.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jazz

No, only joking
  • Jazz

No, only joking

Uuurghhh
  • iainment said:

Jazz, country and 'world' music. Especially the music of west africa and the tuareg blues music from Mali.

I love 'world' music. Except for the way it's branded as world music for the consumption of western society. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much though, because without that I wouldn't get to hear it.

Gamelan is my favourite style that I've heard to date. Zydeco is tremendous fun - I'm not sure if that's really 'world' though coming from the US. And if you ever want to hear something really different, try Ketchak.
  • edited July 2017
    Stig said:

iainment said:

Jazz, country and 'world' music. Especially the music of west africa and the tuareg blues music from Mali.

I love 'world' music.
  • world music, especially old cuban.
  • Been to a couple of operas recently and I was in raptures. Lot of classical my dad used to play as well. some metal as well. I'm saving hip hop for an epic mid life crisis
  • Bryan Adams. Thought he was a total soft rock bell end In the 90's but now love almost everything he has done!

I love country and Americana now. My dad played in a band that did country and western/50s 60s when I was younger. Sat night in my early teens was working men and social clubs in London and the south east. Back then I didn't give it a second thought, can't get enough of it now.

Funny how your tastes adapt.

I also struggle to listen to some songs now that I use to love when I was younger. Partly because I probably played them to death back in the day, but also as you get older, even though some stuff was associated with really good memories, sometimes it can be quite difficult because you realise how bloody fast your life goes by. Some songs can create that awkward pang of nostalgia, but a sort of sadness as well
  • Ibiza chill out stuff

Never did the whole 'boys on your' type holiday and didn't get this type of music but now quite like it when I'm working
  • Sponsored links:

• Blues rock and Polynesien Hip Hop
  • All sorts. In my teens/early twenties it was strictly rock/prog/folk. by my late twenties I'd discovered blues, soul (mainly Stax/Atlantic) and reggae. I now have a soft spot for C&W, which even into my 40s I used to dislike intensely.

I've told my 12 year old daughter that her musical tastes will change as she gets older and she might start to appreciate some of the music I play. No, she's adamant she'll still be listening to Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars and Ariana Grande for the rest of her life!
  • I have a playlist on Spotify clumsily entitled ‘Classic Singers’. In fact, even that is not entirely accurate as I shove orchestral stuff on there too. The thing is it has grown and grown and there are now many hours of listening.

My favourite discovery (caused by a typo whilst searching Katherine Jenkins tracks) is that of Karl Jenkins who apparently is the most performed living classical composer. A really interesting bloke who way back performed with Soft Machine.

A great introduction to his music is the double album entitled The Very best of Karl Jenkins. The second cd covers his Adiemus project with its unusual vocalised sounds, really worth a scan through if you have access to a music site.
  • Not a genre as such but I never "got" The Beatles when they were in their pomp. I'm much happier listening to their output these days.
  • Mumford and sons - I thought they were a practical joke I wasn't getting when they first burst onto the airwaves. I really like them now, part of the problem with radio is anything remotely popular gets played to absolute death and that was the case with these guys

Still don't like the strokes
  • Bob Marley, knew all the hits, but album tracks are superb
  • Was in a phase where all I was into was 80s soul stuff then R.E.M. released out of time.
    Got hooked on the album so bought previous stuff by them.
    Their Murmur album is fantastic.
  • All sorts. In my teens/early twenties it was strictly rock/prog/folk. by my late twenties I'd discovered blues, soul (mainly Stax/Atlantic) and reggae. I now have a soft spot for C&W, which even into my 40s I used to dislike intensely.

I've told my 12 year old daughter that her musical tastes will change as she gets older and she might start to appreciate some of the music I play. No, she's adamant she'll still be listening to Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars and Ariana Grande for the rest of her life!

If she's still listening to that in two years, then I think that she might. Some people just don't "get" music, they just go with the flow all their life. I have friends who are forty and still think Take That and The Spice Girls are the biz. If she matures into a proper music fan (she has a good mentor!) then she will leave them behind as a fond memory to have a giggle about at weddings in the 2040s...
  • I have a playlist on Spotify clumsily entitled ‘Classic Singers’. In fact, even that is not entirely accurate as I shove orchestral stuff on there too. The thing is it has grown and grown and there are now many hours of listening.

My favourite discovery (caused by a typo whilst searching Katherine Jenkins tracks) is that of Karl Jenkins who apparently is the most performed living classical composer. A really interesting bloke who way back performed with Soft Machine.

A great introduction to his music is the double album entitled The Very best of Karl Jenkins. The second cd covers his Adiemus project with its unusual vocalised sounds, really worth a scan through if you have access to a music site.

Discovered him a few years ago... One of his tracks was on a Cheltenham and Gloucester advert.

This one: https://youtu.be/VTyjV-MPBa0
  • Alice Cooper...when I was young my sister loved him, and as we hated each other like you do when your kids, when that hate sub-sided as you get sensible, then I started to like him.