Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Primus set to sign

edited August 2008 in Rumours

Comments

• "The huge fans' favourite is on the brink of a return to training after recovering from a groin injury.

Once he is fully recovered he will link up with the Championship side."

We could certainly use his experience, but the recovering from a groin strain bit worries me, he's just back from a long lay-off with a knee injury.
  • edited August 2008
    He is 34 and hasn't played competitively for a year - but wants to play 10 or 15 games, then head back to Pompey to fight for his place.

Are you sure, Pards???

Towards the bottom of the same Pompey article, I saw this:

"........Hull are still interested in landing Mali full-back Djimi Traore.
    The defender turned down a £2m move to the KC Stadium earlier in the summer."

Are you sure, Phil Brown???
  • On the OS right now.

Former Charlton defender Linvoy Primus will return to the club on loan from Portsmouth next week, Alan Pardew confirmed on Saturday

The commanding 34-year-old will team up with the Addicks for the remainder of the season from Wednesday, ending Pardew's quest to boost his defensive ranks.
  • A good signing, but we still need another defender.
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][p]A good signing, but we still need another defender.[/p]
    Doesn't look like we're getting one:
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][p]On the OS right now.[/p][p]The commanding 34-year-old will team up with the Addicks for the remainder of the season from Wednesday, ending Pardew's quest to boost his defensive ranks.[/p]
  • If this is true we have three CBs in Hudson. Fortune and Primus, who is just coming back off a long injury lay off, while Fortune doesn't fill me with confidence. At full back we have two LB options in Youga and Basey, and both have their faults, plus Moo2 at RB and Semedo as cover across the line.

There's Thomas on loan, but I'd like a bit more cover.
  • Excellent, heard a whisper a few days ago this was mooted, but was dependent on how his progression from returning from injury was going.

Should on paper be a sound acquisition.
  • So we're running with just 3 centre backs this season - and Semedo covering along the back four (and probably centre mid also).

It's a bit threadbare on numbers ..... lets just hope we don't get hit too hard with suspension and injury.
  • that's on the assumption that another won't arrive before the window closes.........
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][p]A good signing, but we still need another defender.[/p]
    [p]Doesn't look like we're getting one:[/p]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][p]On the OS right now.[/p][p]The commanding 34-year-old will team up with the Addicks for the remainder of the season from Wednesday,ending Pardew's quest to boost his defensive ranks.[/p]

Well AFKA, on the OS it says:

"......ending Pardew's quest to boost his defensive ranks."

So what do you know that we don't....?

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Owe you an aology, AFKA.

At the foot of the OS article, it contradicts itself by saying:

".....although Pardew admitted the capture of the centre-half may not be the only new arrival before the transfer window closes at midnight on Monday, September 1st.

He added: "There might be one more signing but at least Linvoy has agreed and it's done.
    "

So you could be right!
  • i know more than him anyway Oggy :-)
  • decent back up
  • Sometime ago i started a conversation on the importants of a talismanic figure (think Di Canio) in the Charlton squad someone who isnt the best player interms of ability but fills the squad with confidence and determination, Primus would fit the bill being an ex-Charlton player who has worked with Pards before (at Reading) and has a wealth of experience.

However as Black forest mentioned he has just recovered from a long injury and lacks recent match practice and so there is a question-mark over his ability to perform on a competative level.
  • I think the talismanic figure will prove to be Bailey, he threw himself into everything today and will only get better.
  • Our talismanic player last season was Darren Ambrose ......... most matches he played, he either scored himself, provided assists or created chances that weren't taken.

Of course, most supporters swear blind he was rubbish and never did anything all match.
  • Thought the article about Primus in the programme today was interesting timing.

Obviously a big fan of Pardew - "...I would have loved to have worked with him for longer. I consider him a friend before a manager. He's a very positive person, which is something I'm drawn to, and he has helped me through some big situations."
  • Primus is also a born again Christian - like the Rev Richard Rufus.

He's also a local lad, born in Forest Hill and came through the youth team here (Young Player of the Year) - and at the time regarded as a better prospect than Rufus.

Anyone on here remember his early appearances in the 1st team back then?
  • Anyone on here remember his early appearances in the 1st team back then?

I think he played no more than a few games, I vaguely remember a league cup game where he looked ok but nothing more. The talk at that time was that he was going to be a star and it was a bit surprising that he never got more than a few games to prove himself.

As for his being a born again christian, I'm sure that'll come in handy when dealing with crosses.
  • i remember his early performances and he always looked a real prospect. I seem to remember he played in 2 televised games for us and won MOM in both. All the fans were excited about this new prospect....then at the end of the season Curbs gave him away on a free - i seem to remember him saying he did not have enough stamina to get through games or something strange like that. Anyway Curbs didn't make very many bad decisions but that one was up with buying big Bent!
  • Sponsored links:

• I think there was also the rumour that he was thought to be a bit on the short side to be a successful central defender.
  • Like Chris Perry, you mean ?

;o)
  • edited August 2008
    I believe he had some 'domestic' problems...i.e. woman trouble of a very heavy nature which gave him a lot of problems at the time and it affected his career with us....I honestly can't remember the exact details but it got pretty heavy with her family and his if I'm not mistaken. Curb's &Co were not too enamoured with the whole situation.
  • he was seeing a doris who worked for the club,i think the daughter of the woman who run junior reds at the time.
  • Should be alright this time round with no jr reds.
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite][p]he was seeing a doris who worked for the club,i think the daughter of the woman who run junior reds at the time.[/p]

Not sure what the problem was northstand but it was thought that it spilled over into his playing ability or lack of effort/commitment in some way or another as I remember....anyway it was a long time ago and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Exactly how much that episode affected Curb's judgment I'm not absolutely sure but I know it was a factor in some way or another.
  • He's not the first young Charlton prospect to be let go ........and yet go on to carve a top Premier career for himself.
    Dedication, determination and commitment can all be the making of a reject once he matures.

Remember Matt Elliott at Leicester a few years ago?

And Fulham dumped Nicky Bailey and he ended up working as a bookie playing in the Conference.
    Step by step, he's been climbing each division.

Prem for Bailey next season?

It'll be a remarkable achievement - and shows what is possible through focus and determination.
  • Dan Shittu as well, I remember Matt Elliot's appearance for us - a League cup game at Selhurst. But his route back to big time took in several seasons at Torquay and Scunthorpe before he found fame.
  • And Michael Turner playing for Hull City in the Prem this season ..... Curbs let him go and he joined Brentford.
  • I remember Matt Elliot's one and only game. 2-1 victory over Lincoln City if I'm not mistaken. He was absolutely appalling.