Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Swindon | Sun 30 Apr | 12noon KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Swindon Town
Sunday 30th April 2017 … 12noon Kick-Off
Referee: John Brooks (Leicestershire)

Introduction

Forty-five matches played, 23 teams faced home and away… All except for one team – This Sunday marks the final game of the Football League season for Charlton Athletic and their opponents: Swindon Town, at around 2pm the referee will blow his whistle to bring an end to what has been yet another disappointing season under our current owners… In terms of the match this Sunday, with Swindon relegated and Charlton safe in mid-table there will be little to play for, we can all breath a sigh of relief once those 90-minutes are up!!

The Opposition
Name: Swindon Town | Manager: Luke Williams
Ground: The County Ground

Swindon have little to shout about this season, losing top scorer: Nicky Ajose over the summer was always going to be a tough ask and as fellow relegated side: Coventry City have shown – If you don’t replace your goal scorers then its always going to be difficult to mount a challenge at a level in the Division…

Off the field matters weren’t helped when Tim Sherwood was appointed at the club in whatever capacity he’s employed and despite a 3-0 win over Charlton in his first game, the club were unable to build on the momentum from that match and after a five year stay in League One, will now drop back down to the fourth tier of English Football… The fact that the Robins were one of the founders of the Premier League now seems like an eternity yet fans of our opponents this Sunday will be hoping for nothing more than another sole one year stay in League Two.

Charlton Team News
His press conferences since taking over have been bizarre at best yet announcing the starting line-up in the days leading up to a match (rather than hours) definitely raises a few eyebrows in the Footballing world… Declan Rudd, Jay Dasilva and Nathan Byrne will no doubt play their final games for the club seeing that under our current owners, no loan signing has ever been signed a second time whilst Johnnie Jackson and Chris Solly both long-term servants for the club line-up in their customary positions.

Against Chesterfield last weekend; Karl Robinson confirmed that a number of youngsters would be given an opportunity over the last two matches yet with Karlan Ahearne-Grant being the sole U23 player to get any game time last weekend, it’ll remain to be seen whether the likes of Aaron Barnes or Afearnee Dijksteel will get their first appearance in a Charlton shirt this time around.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Forster-Caskey | Crofts | Jackson
Byrne | Magennis | Holmes

End of Season Notes
As this is the final match of the season, it also marks my final match preview of the season (thank god I hear you all say)… As per usual I’d like to offer my customary appreciation for the positive feedback that I get producing these along with my thanks to those who covered my duties at the start of the season when I was off getting married – Hopefully next season will see better results and unless the powers that be on here want a new approach, I’ll be back with the previews ahead of wherever we go for pre-season.

Comments

• cheers @ForeverAddickted although the games at home :wink:
  • cheers @ForeverAddickted although the games at home :wink:

Yeah I know... Its why I've put Charlton v Swindon

Or have I missed something really REALLY stupid... :confused:
  • no it was me being really stupid i thought the ground was for where the game was going to be played :smile: that teaches me for being a clever c**t
  • Thanks for all the terrific previews and opinions this season @ForeverAddickted .. this should be a formality against a demoralised and weak outfit as well as a final trial for some players ..
    despite what's written about the non signing of loaness, I reckon that Robinson (guess he's here for the longer haul) would like to sign Rudd and Byrne, even Da Silva, though I would think the latter has a good contract at Chelsea even if his first team prospects are less than zero

CAFC 4 v Swindon Town 1
  • edited April 2017
    Couldn't care less. Not going as my sons play football on a Sunday morning.
    Next time I see Charlton at The Valley I'm hoping it will be under new owners .
    Well done @ForeverAddickted
  • Yep cheers for all the preview's FA!
  • Agreed, thanks to @ForeverAddickted for all the entertaining and insightful match previews, enjoy your time off.
  • Thanks. I've enjoyed your previews, @ForeverAddickted. Looking forward to the first one of next season when a bunch of strangers head off to Plymouth for the first game.
  • Great reviews all season long. It's a shame that performances on and off the pitch have never looked like reaching the same standards...
  • Thanks for your efforts and getting the team right (inside information?)
  • Sponsored links:

• Great previews all season...many thanks
  • Good job Forever, enjoy your summer.
  • Well done FA thanks for all the effort.
    Much appreciated.
    As for the match 2.1 Charlton to bring to a close a very frustrating season.
  • 1-1
    Heartbreak as we narrowly miss out on bid to be mini league champions
  • Hope we win, hope he gives a few of the U23's a bit of a run out, not going. All the very best to those who are and good luck with the protest. Think we'll win 2-1 to round off another successful season
  • cant believe it's the end of the season. *sad face* it's going to be a long summer without any football but at least next season we'll get to play high flyers Rotherham who have dropped out of the division above. *excited face*
  • @ForeverAddickted thanks mate for all of the previews this season. First class job and often a thankless task.

I'm going 3-0 Charlton. (Yes I've had a couple of pints)

On the pitch on the pitch on the pitch!
  • @ForeverAddickted many thanks for continuing to do these. Really good of you.

And also a shout out to @MrLargo for easily the best previews. I always look forward to them

2-1 to us. We finish 13th and everyone is happy and thinks next season will be the one when it all clicks
  • Home win 2-0 to round of another strange season, I can only hope things change for the better.
  • Ta very much for the previews.

Going for the protests and a pint and the chance to see people I've hardly seen all season.

Obviously, hope we win but if we don't it won't be t'end of world.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leading 3-0 we are awarded a penalty to make it the elusive 4-0, then there is a mass pitch invasion. ( match abandoned).

Please let it happen this time :smiley:
  • Thanks FA. Fantastic as ever.
  • Thanks FA, not an easy job this season - appreciated
  • Thanks for all the excellent preview's FA
  • an 8-0 romp for the Addicks
  • Thanks FA for the previews, I guess KR decided to spare you the job of predicting the team by announcing it instead!
  • Breathe*