Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New York Red Bulls

I'm heading to NY this week and seeing as the Red Bulls are at home, I figured I'd go and give BWP some support.

Has anyone ever been? If so, any advice on getting to the game and where to sit?

Comments

• Thanks mate. @cafc999 - could you advise at all? I'd like to sit in the rowdiest section possible!

• edited April 2017
    Get the tickets in the fans section behind the goal.
  • edited April 2017
    Haven't been myself but you could see the ground clearly from the train to and from Newark Airport. I think Harrison Station on the PATH is the closest one and it should be a short walk from there.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/harrison-station.html
  • Yeah the rowdiest section is behind the goal to the left of the dugouts I think. All in all I think it's a pretty poor experience there, have to get a train out to NJ for the stadium and not a lot in the area, the merchandise is extremely expensive as well as the food and drink and even though they have "ultras" it's very Americanised. I wouldn't go again.
  • PATH train from WTC to Harrison, takes about 15 minutes.

Can buy tickets on the day. It'll say something like 'singing area' at the ticket counter, it was $25 3 years ago. There's nothing else to do in the area so don't go too early.

Their 'ultras' are camp, cringeworthy and funny.
  • colthe3rd said:

Yeah the rowdiest section is behind the goal to the left of the dugouts I think. All in all I think it's a pretty poor experience there, have to get a train out to NJ for the stadium and not a lot in the area, the merchandise is extremely expensive as well as the food and drink and even though they have "ultras" it's very Americanised. I wouldn't go again.

You enjoyed it then.........
  • Haven't been myself but hoping to go once we're part of the Red Bull family ... cheap tickets and all that
  • Went to NY Red Bulls v LA Galaxy in Beckham's first game - usual attendance probably a few thousand but this one was 90 odd thousand sellout. Crazy game as well - something like 7-6 if I remember correctly!
  • I sat behind the goal for a NY derby last June. Its a weird atmosphere, they are super passionate in an American way. I was in with the Ultras, dont think i heard a swear word spoken.

Couple of bits of advice, there is a really good pub across the road, go there. I bumped in to a Millwall fan while i was there, pricks get everywhere except the Den. Its quite near the station station and opposite what I think was the old stadium. Secondly, everything is super expensive in the ground. A piss poor drink like a Bud Light or something similar is about £12, and they come in whopping cans.

Have fun.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

Yeah the rowdiest section is behind the goal to the left of the dugouts I think. All in all I think it's a pretty poor experience there, have to get a train out to NJ for the stadium and not a lot in the area, the merchandise is extremely expensive as well as the food and drink and even though they have "ultras" it's very Americanised. I wouldn't go again.

You enjoyed it then.........
    I mean it was pretty good watching BWP and Lloyd Sam playing in the same team as Henry but the overall experience was poor. Way down on other North American sports. Glad I went but like I said wouldn't go back.
  • Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm with a local so getting there should be fine, but he's not a sports fan so needed some of these tips. I'll report back afterwards.
  • Have fun Jimmy! Will be nice to be on the same continent even if we're still very far apart.

Also, NYRB play some really good attacking footy at times. My overall experience with MLS is that matches can either be excellent (a lot of attacking, meh defending) or dull stalemates. Quality isn't always the best, but it's definitely not bad.
  • Well we can at least be on here when nobody else is SD!

I do hope it is an exciting game, but I really don't mind about the quality, I'll enjoy it regardless. I like the novelty of being an Englishman in America, especially at a footy match. I'll be singing "he's better than Shaun" and trying to get them to join in.