Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2nd test v SA

flintoff in for colingwood.
sidebottom injured and is replaced by darren pattinson.

gotta admit, had to google pattinson.
played only 11 first class games and is 29 years old.
how out of favour is hoggard now? not even considered at his home ground.

Comments

• I remember him getting a hatful of wickets against Kent. Apparently he has "out bowled everbody" this summer, we shall see.

Bad toss to lose.
  • Harmison on Central Contract of £100K+ a year and kicking his heels..... I am not a big fan of him but Justin Langer said last night that he is bowling really well at the moment - that's good enough for me.
    And what about Jones?
  • Patterson is swinging it all over the shop at the moment, so he's in form.

Hoggard isn't bowling well enough at the mo, and Harmison would be better suited to Old Trafford then Headingley
  • I'd have thought Jones would have been ahead of Pattinson and then Hoggard. I've never seen Pattinson bowl - but then neither have SA, at least he's a form selection - as Jones would have been as well.

I'm not sure about moving Ambrose up to #6, he's hardly scored any runs at 7 and I can't see that moving him up a place where he has to deliver is a good move, especially at Headingley where the ball is swinging and seaming a bit. I'd have brought Prior back in who has been in better form and looks a better bet to score runs and hang around.
  • Matt Prior has been given a tough ride by the selectors, he'll be back for the winter if Ambrose fails again.

Simon Jones back would be great, but is he fit enough for a test yet?
  • Simon Jones back would be great, but is he fit enough for a test yet?

I'm guessing that's the reason why he hasn't been called up for this Test - especially as they've picked Flintoff who has injury problems. If a bowler can't bowl 15-20 overs a day then he should be selected, Jones has 29 wickets this season, but only has only bowled 116 overs.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I'd have thought Jones would have been ahead of Pattinson and then Hoggard. I've never seen Pattinson bowl - but then neither have SA, at least he's a form selection - as Jones would have been as well.

I'm not sure about moving Ambrose up to #6, he's hardly scored any runs at 7 and I can't see that moving him up a place where he has to deliver is a good move, especially at Headingley where the ball is swinging and seaming a bit. I'd have brought Prior back in who has been in better form and looks a better bet to score runs and hang around.

The problem is that Freddie isn't playing well enough to bat at 6 either. On Form, perhaps Broad should bat at 6 because he's showing better form them than both of them.

The whole wicket keeping situation has become a bit of a joke. We need to find one and then stick with him. Personally I think that Foster at Essex is better than Ambrose but as Ambrose has the gloves at the moment then they have give him a good run in the side. Constantly chopping and changing isn't going to help.
  • And Cook goes - caught down the legside, but off his thighpad, death by umpire...
  • 29-2 . Vaughan out (he can't bat anymore).Drop him.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]And Cook goes - caught down the legside, but off his thighpad, death by umpire...

Shoddy decisions seem to be following us this series.
  • Sponsored links:

• 40-2 Peterson just hit a 4 then a 6 in the next over.
  • anyone without sky sports this is the free live feed.
  • The Usual flurry of posts at the start of the test which will widdle down to nothing as everyone gets bored or falls asleep watching :-)
  • Has Pattinson been picked, so the Aussies can't pick him next year for the ashes?
  • 57-2. De Viliers caught and then dropped Strauss in the slips. He claimed the catch, but luckliy the umpires referred to the 3rd umpire who quite rightly gave him not out. Pity they didn't refer to the 3rd umpire when Cook was given caught out off his trousers.
  • 62-3 Strauss is now out caught behind.
  • Lunch 70-3.
  • 106/4...and Ambrose walks to the crease. We'll soon see if the gamble of letting him bat at #6 works out or not.
  • Shame about KP batting wonderfully I think he got too carried away slashing a wide one. It is not the Twenty20 million dollar challenge just yet!
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]106/4...and Ambrose walks to the crease. We'll soon see if the gamble of letting him bat at #6 works out or not.

And it didn't - caught behind for 12.

In comes Freddie...
  • Sponsored links:

• 181-7 Freddie's out.

Broad and Anderson batting
  • 203 -9
  • 203 all out
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]I remember him getting a hatful of wickets against Kent. Apparently he has "out bowled everbody" this summer, we shall see.

Bad toss to lose.

May have got Razil to bowl .. Pattinson my a$$
  • 39-0 off 9 overs

pathetic..
  • We're gonna get pummeled!
  • 76-4
  • 101-3 at close of play
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]76-4
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]101-3 at close of play

Looks like the Test Team is definitely going backwards :-)
  • Amla walked after giving a "catch" to Vaughan. He was called back as there was some doubt as to whether the catch was grounded - hence 76-4 became 101-3