Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saudi Billionaires

Comments

• Options

We really want to be owned by one of the most barbaric countries in the world?

If, and it is a very big if, it happened we wouldn't be owned by Saudi Arabia just as we aren't owned by Belgium now.

No excuse for the Saudi regime but not the same thing. Would you turn down Chinese ownership because of their human rights record?
  • Options
    As long as KM stays as CEO I am happy (removes tongue from cheek).
  • Options
    edited November 2016

As an American (we of the thriving droning people and firing missiles from ships into Yemen industries) I feel a bit hypocritical pushing the boat out on this one, but no. I know the Saudi royal family is not necessarily one monolithic entity, but I'd still rather we not.
  • Options

As long as KM stays as CEO I am happy (removes tongue from cheek).

Oh heck. My own cheek on my own face in case anyone misinterprets this.
  • Options

• Options

*sigh*
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Hardly going to be beheading people during the pre match warm up are they?

If they're willing to invest their money and run the club properly with a CEO who knows what they're doing then i couldn't care less what goes on in downtown Riyadh. You can't dismiss a potential Saudi owner just because of what his country of birth is like, in the same way you wouldn't dismiss all Belgians as complete fucking morons because of RD and KM.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I tutor a Saudi prince (he's lovely and very intelligent btw). Might make some inquiries.

Hope it's not on how to bowl leg spin ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dizzee said:

I heard they are buying Millwall

waste disposal is a huge problem for desert countries. This looks like a good solution.
  • Options
    Ok so if we were to turn down Saudi money on morale grounds and they then decided to buy Millwall instead and take them to the premier league how would you feel then.
    I would feel fucking sick.
    If a Saudi billionaire wants to buy Charlton and has genuine intentions to take us back to the premier league i would be in favour
  • Options
    Sounds unlikely to me. Not particularly happy about the Saudi regime, but unless it is someone specifically involved in human rights abuses, you can't tar all Saudis with the same brush. More concerned that any potential owner "gets Charlton"; categorically reject the racist assumption from RD that somehow only Brits and Belgians can get English football.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Whoever it is when RD finally sells (and he will) it's highly unlikely we'll have a say in the matter.

We won't know diddly squat about the new owners suitability or otherwise, unless perhaps if Reg is involved, and it will be just another roll of the dice.

Edit: I will add that we threw a '1' with RD so we can't get any worse!!
  • Options

If, and it is a very big if, it happened we wouldn't be owned by Saudi Arabia just as we aren't owned by Belgium now.

No excuse for the Saudi regime but not the same thing. Would you turn down Chinese ownership because of their human rights record?
    Whenever Roland sells I'll renew my S/T whoever it is. That's football 2016. But I'd do it with a lot more pleasure if it was a Paul Elliott headed consortium than if it was Chinese or Saudi investors.
  • Options
    I know plenty of Saudi's who love a beer, eat pork and when out of country will shag anything. Many of the connected understand their position in the world and are grateful for their freedom when abroad.

At least a Saudi billionaire might invest money although I would question their motives. Unlike Qataris they don't need to make themselves look good.
  • Options

Whenever Roland sells I'll renew my S/T whoever it is. That's football 2016. But I'd do it with a lot more pleasure if it was a Paul Elliott headed consortium than if it was Chinese or Saudi investors.
    What if Elliot is heading a Chinese or Saudi consortium?
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

SDAddick said:

As an American (we of the thriving droning people and firing missiles from ships into Yemen industries) I feel a bit hypocritical pushing the boat out on this one, but no. I know the Saudi royal family is not necessarily one monolithic entity, but I'd still rather we not.
    A similar view to my own. It's a peculiar feeling that's pretty illogical, but still uncomfortable.

Whilst no country is innocent, and individual ownership of Charlton Athletic would have no bearing on Saudi Arabia itself, I can't help but feel rather uncomfortable at the prospect of finding delight in watching a team of footballers paid for by (and sitting in a stadium maintained by) Saudi money. I must add that very few countries would make feel that way too.
    Agreed, and Saudi Arabia is not the only country that would make me feel that way. It's particularly difficult when they're nationals of a country with a ruling family with close ties to a Government with a terrible human rights' record. Would feel the same about Qatar.

As far as it being illogical, I think it's more ideological. I would like to be able to support a successful Charlton knowing that the root of the success is in part due to well begotten money from people who aren't members of a ruling class who oppress women and gay people.

Look, few if any people wealthy enough to purchase and bankroll a football club will be squeaky clean, but not wanting a group involved with massive human rights' violations shouldn't be too much to ask.
  • Options

What if it were Red Bull?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

What if it were Red Bull?
    Then we'd need to know their intentions for the club before immediately dismissing them.
  • Options
    Anything would be better than the present shower but with the Saudis or any other bunch of moneybags chancers it would still probably change the face of the club irrevocably - perhaps we will never see what we knew and loved as 'our' Charlton ever again. If so, it is symptomatic of a general malaise in the modern game.
  • Options
    Depends what the new owners would be like, not going to immediately judge them just because of the country where they're from.

I'm sure 90% of people on here were delighted that a Belgian Multimillionaire was purchasing the club a few years ago...
  • Options

Not at all. You mean Belgium right?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    seth plum said:

Feck me, Leuth is going to be CEO and relocate the club to Lee!

If you think Katie has said some stuff to piss off the proletariat, you wait until Leuth gets stuck into a press statement.
  • Options
    Weren't our previous owners, Baton, based in the Cayman Islands? In theory, at least.
  • Options

Evening standard are reporting that Saudi Billionaires are looking for London Clubs. Please let it be ours. Peter Varney as CEO, Curbs as general manager and Powell back as team coach and a multi million pound player budget,a full Valley, now wouldn't that be something. One can dream can't they LOl

We've got two hopes as far as the above statement is concerned. Bob Hope, and no hope.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Feck me, Leuth is going to be CEO and relocate the club to Lee!

If you think Katie has said some stuff to piss off the proletariat, you wait until Leuth gets stuck into a press statement.
    "As a diamond geezer from South East London I feel like my indigenous upbringing fully synthesises with the sociopolitical mandates of the role."