Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Croydon tram crash

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37919658

Reports of 5 people dead and the driver arrested.

Thoughts with those involved and their families.

Comments

• Reporting 7 dead now.

Horrible.
  • Horrible stuff.
  • Deary me. RIP.
  • Also seeing that the driver has been arrested.

Might be a routine act in such circumstances but not sure.
  • id be interested to know what the driver has been pinched for?
  • Very sad news indeed.
  • No one should leave the house and end up not returning home. Terrible news. RIP

probably manslaughter?
  • Not too far from where I live. Was hoping it was just injuries as reported this morning. RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sad, RIP

On any other day this would be massive news all over the media
  • Sad indeed, RIP poor people. Wish the injured a speedy recovery.
  • Are they not considered one of the safest forms of transport?

Absolute tragedy unfolding here. RIP

probably manslaughter?
    i would have thought that would be decided after an investigation so if it is manslaughter he has done something for them to nick him this early

(not that any of that is important at the moment in the grand scheme of things)
  • The ITV news just said 5 dead.
  • Very sad news. I use that tram route most days to work so very sobering news. RIP
  • RIP

Driver arrested
  • There was that crash in Spain where the driver was showing off how fast he was going on social media, then took a bend at more than 2x the speed limit, wonder if this is a similar deal
  • I am pretty sure that some people in the area I used to work will be affected by this, indeed we all are in a way.
    Terrible event, RIP to those who have lost their lives, and best wishes to the very many who will be affected by the ripple effect of this crash.

It might just be a routine thing now, rather than an indication he did something wrong?
  • Sponsored links:

• absolutely horrendous .. as bad a disaster as a lot of train crashes .. is there any indication of how fast the tram was moving ? ..
    Just on your way to work on a normal workday and this happens .. FIVE dead and many injured .. TfL has a lot to answer for here ... RIP to the dead and condolences to the injured and bereaved
  • RIP

Do you have to be arrested to be formally interviewed under caution as a matter of course ?
  • absolutely horrendous .. as bad a disaster as a lot of train crashes .. is there any indication of how fast the tram was moving ? ..
    Just on your way to work on a normal workday and this happens .. FIVE dead and many injured .. TfL has a lot to answer for here ... RIP to the dead and condolences to the injured and bereaved

Why does TfL have a lot to answer for?

Some "facts" I've picked up from various news sources:
    - The tram overturned on a sharp bend
    - The bend has a 16mph speed limit
    - It was raining quite heavily
    - Driver has been arrested

I'm no detective, but put the details above together & it's a reasonable supposition that the driver was going too fast around the bend (whether on purpose or due to a mechanical fault, we'll eventually find out).

On a side note: Ignoring the Charlton stereotypes for a moment, I actually went on a tour of the Croydon tram depot a few months back as I thought it would be interesting to see how it was run. Two of the pieces of insight I took away were that trams are regarded as "road vehicles" (so you're effectively on a bus) and that signals are "advisory rather than mandatory".
  • Son missed this tram,his usual one,was on the one behind,couldn't get hold of him for ages,horrible. Just found out a mate was on it,got a broken ankle and a bit beaten up but lucky considering the poor souls who lost their lives. RIP. Thoughts with those injured.
  • How awful. These poor people were just going about their daily routine (off to work/school etc.)

RIP
  • edited November 2016
    LouisMend said:

Seems mental in this day and age that dangerous pieces of track, such as a tight bend, are left done purely to human control

Is there no way to automatically control speed around certain parts of the track?

Unfortunately not. It's completely down to the driver, according to the guy that did my tour
  • Shocking. Thoughts with the families of these victims.

RIP