Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris O'Loughlin

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Well, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but not part of Great Britain, which makes him a South African in my book.

Please note that there is no racism intended as part of this post and I see no issue why a South African with a northern Irish accent shouldn't be manager of Charlton if he has the experience and knowledge to do so.
  • colthe3rd said:

If anything there's not enough sarcasm in this thread.

No need for the sarcasm mate!
  • FORD said:

Well, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but not part of Great Britain, which makes him a South African in my book.

Please note that there is no racism intended as part of this post and I see no issue why a South African with a northern Irish accent shouldn't be manager of Charlton if he has the experience and knowledge to do so.

In a joint partnership with KM's spurs supporting taxi driver.

• I wonder how long it will be before someone amends his Wiki page to say he's Charlton manager ?

http://www.benefoot.net/exclusive-interview-with-sint-truidens-chris-oloughlin/
  • I think KF deserves another go or Nobby Vinegar - Slade has been here too long.
  • centurion said:

Some people love a consiracy theory. I mean, a network manager temporarily out-of-work who happens to be British (he might think if himself as Irish). Why not give up a weekend and fly into London to watch a big match between two sides flying high in League One, especially when you have never been to the Valley before and can get free tickets in the Directors box? Absolutely nothing in it and I'm sure Russell Slade was pleased to be introduced after the match, him being a fellow network manager an' all.

The guy was born in County Limerick. Why would he not think of himself as Irish?
    Didn't spot that Centurian. Then he would, presumably, consider himself an Irishman.
  • edited November 2016

centurion said:

Some people love a consiracy theory. I mean, a network manager temporarily out-of-work who happens to be British (he might think if himself as Irish). Why not give up a weekend and fly into London to watch a big match between two sides flying high in League One, especially when you have never been to the Valley before and can get free tickets in the Directors box? Absolutely nothing in it and I'm sure Russell Slade was pleased to be introduced after the match, him being a fellow network manager an' all.

The guy was born in County Limerick. Why would he not think of himself as Irish?
    Didn't spot that Centurian. Then he would, presumably, consider himself an Irishman.
    So he's a Northern Irish man born in Ireland, raised in South Africa and working in Belgium for a Belgian who allows him an occasional day trip to the Valley.
  • Anyway, it won't be Jose Riga coming back, 'cause he just became the new manager of Belgian 2nd Div Cercle Bruges.
  • edited November 2016
    skywalker said:

Anyway, it won't be Jose Riga coming back, 'cause he just became the new manager of Belgian 2nd Div Cercle Bruges.

So Riga no longer connected to the Duchatelet empire then?
  • RedChaser said:

skywalker said:

Anyway, it won't be Jose Riga coming back, 'cause he just became the new manager of Belgian 2nd Div Cercle Bruges.

hopefully seemed like a nice bloke and probably the best of a very bad lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016

RedChaser said:

skywalker said:

Never met him but came over ok, thought he got lucky first time around with all of CP's back room staff in place. Got found wanting second time round but knew what he was letting himself in for.
  • Here's another article about him and just as with the previous one from The Irish Sun he does seem to do one thing that has become very common at Charlton - he overestimates the importance of his role as assistant or as trainer, and seems to talk like he was manager of some of these clubs. I'm sure he sees himself as equipped to take over the Charlton job, just as Karel Fraeye did - http://www.benefoot.net/exclusive-interview-with-sint-truidens-chris-oloughlin/
  • RedChaser said:

skywalker said:

He's gone to Bob Peeters old club. Karel is next in line
  • It's a matter of when not if....
  • centurion said:

Here's another article about him and just as with the previous one from The Irish Sun he does seem to do one thing that has become very common at Charlton - he overestimates the importance of his role as assistant or as trainer, and seems to talk like he was manager of some of these clubs. I'm sure he sees himself as equipped to take over the Charlton job, just as Karel Fraeye did - http://www.benefoot.net/exclusive-interview-with-sint-truidens-chris-oloughlin/

Sounds like an interesting life and fair play to him for working for his opportunities... but that in itself makes me think he's perfect for Roland to boss about.
  • The only slight consolation here is that at least this guy is a manager with some top flight experience, unlike Fraeye who had as much managerial experience as the tea lady.
  • HandG said:

I'm not an advocate of him being given the boot, but if Slade does go, I hope the Belgians get another network lackey in and I hope he's as useless as the others because it will make a complete mockery of the rubbish Katrien spouted on Talksport the other day about RS getting two years and how great it is having him around.

have to agree, another network puppet will only aid our cause
    I suspect KM is well aware of this and will defend RS' position as best she can but ultimately as we know RD calls the shots and he could well be foolish enough to pull the trigger if we don't go on decent run this side of Xmas
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

skywalker said:

Never met him but came over ok, thought he got lucky first time around with all of CP's back room staff in place. Got found wanting second time round but knew what he was letting himself in for.
    His second spell did suggest he has a good eye for a player, assuming that the signings were his.

There may be financial consequences, but Texeira and Fanni was a quality CB partnership, if they had been together for the whole season we would have stayed up easily
  • The only slight consolation here is that at least this guy is a manager with some top flight experience, unlike Fraeye who had as much managerial experience as the tea lady.

Slight indeed - less than a full season as manager in the Belgian top tier and a couple of seasons (or less than full seasons? hard to tell) in the Congo league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_O'Loughlin_(football_manager)
  • Sponsored links:

• Managed a team to the quarters of the african version of the europa league. That's on another level to anything our other network stooges have managed!!
  • Managed a team to the quarters of the african version of the europa league. That's on another level to anything our other network stooges have managed!!

From what I can see Riga and Luzon have both been knocked out of the Champions League in the qualifying rounds.

Either way I'd say Standard Liege are a much bigger club than AS Vita.
  • edited November 2016

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

skywalker said:

His second spell did suggest he has a good eye for a player, assuming that the signings were his.

There may be financial consequences, but Texeira and Fanni was a quality CB partnership, if they had been together for the whole season we would have stayed up easily
    All too little too late with Fanni, you could see he had pedigree not disputing that however he never hit the ground running due to fitness / game time issues. And that is a totally hypothetical IF he had been paired with Tex at the start of the season we would have stayed up (unless you forgot to put a winky smiley), don't forget we still needed to score goals. We averaged less than one goal a game!

I reckon Diarra had a lot to do with his mate Fanni being signed, also don't forget the wonderful Williams was signed from Boro around the same time who was that down to I wonder.
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

skywalker said:

All too little too late with Fanni, you could see he had pedigree not disputing that however he never hit the ground running due to fitness / game time issues. And that is a totally hypothetical IF he had been paired with Tex at the start of the season we would have stayed up (unless you forgot to put a winky smiley), don't forget we still needed to score goals. We averaged less than one goal a game!

I reckon Diarra had a lot to do with his mate Fanni being signed, also don't forget the wonderful Williams was signed from Boro around the same time who was that down to I wonder.
    Williams was signed earlier than Fanni, Williams was signed at the start of January, hence was able to play in the 5-0 laundry basket game at Huddersfield and 6-0 at Hull!

Fanni was only signed at the end of the window, I imagine Diarra and Riga's French connections were used

With Tex and Fanni together for a season, we would have been solid enough to grind out results. Uninspiring yes, but possibly enough to be out of danger.
  • Point of order Mr Speaker. The laundry basket game was Colchester in the cup.
  • seth plum said:

Point of order Mr Speaker. The laundry basket game was Colchester in the cup.

Correct Seth Huddersfield was Henderson gate.
  • edited November 2016

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

skywalker said:

Williams was signed earlier than Fanni, Williams was signed at the start of January, hence was able to play in the 5-0 laundry basket game at Huddersfield and 6-0 at Hull!

Fanni was only signed at the end of the window, I imagine Diarra and Riga's French connections were used

With Tex and Fanni together for a season, we would have been solid enough to grind out results. Uninspiring yes, but possibly enough to be out of danger.
    I know Williams played at Huddersfield and Hull because I had the missfortune to see both games. My point was did the same person who identified him as a signing also have Fanni and Sanogo lined up rather than Riga.

IF we'd had Messi and Romaldo up front we'd have walked the league or IF Fraye hadn't be allowed anywhere near team selection we may have stood a chance of survival but they are all IFs.

We scored 40 goals last season and conceded 80 so what you are saying is we could have won enough games at say 1-0 to have survived with Tex and Fanni at CB from the first game, righto that's your opinion, not mine.
  • Has KM or SMT issued a vote of confidence in Slade yet? Until that happens I won't believe these rumours.
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

skywalker said:

I know Williams played at Huddersfield and Hull because I had the missfortune to see both games. My point was did the same person who identified him as a signing also have Fanni and Sanogo lined up rather than Riga.

IF we'd had Messi and Romaldo up front we'd have walked the league or IF Fraye hadn't be allowed anywhere near team selection we may have stood a chance of survival but they are all IFs.

We scored 40 goals last season and conceded 80 so what you are saying is we could have won enough games at say 1-0 to have survived with Tex and Fanni at CB from the first game, righto that's your opinion, not mine.
    Looking at the table, Preston finished 11th scoring 45 goals, while Forest finished 16th with 43 goals, so our lack of goals didn't guarantee relegation. Having to rely on Sarr and Lennon at CB certainly was a factor though...

My guess is that Williams was a Euell recommendation, with his connections there. At the time we were desperately short at CB, hence Williams and the re-signing of Roger Johnson...
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

skywalker said:

Looking at the table, Preston finished 11th scoring 45 goals, while Forest finished 16th with 43 goals, so our lack of goals didn't guarantee relegation. Having to rely on Sarr and Lennon at CB certainly was a factor though...

My guess is that Williams was a Euell recommendation, with his connections there. At the time we were desperately short at CB, hence Williams and the re-signing of Roger Johnson...
    Preston only conceded 45 (GD 0) and Forest 47 (GD -4) that's an improvement on us (GD -40) of 35 and 33 respectively! I think we would have needed a damned sight more than just Fanni and Tex all season to have kept those goals down to enable us to gain sufficient points and if you can't see that I can't help you.