Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Extreme weather,climate change,global warming 4 People DEAD.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Blah blah blah, lots of words but when does it stop bloody raining?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Read in my paper last week, that they have been keeping an eye on a reversal of the Ozone layer. They seem to think that it could be repairing itsself and they feel that what most have been doing is having a effect but very slowly.
    If this is true I just hope people don't think, thats ok then, we aint got to worry. But we do and more untill it can repair altogehter, did any one else read this.?

The ozone layer was damaged primarily by CFCs, a compound used in aerosols and fridges etc. CFCs were outlawed in the 80s thanks to the Montreal Protocol, and while this has undoubtedly led to recovery, it could be another 50 years before the ozone layer recovers to pre-1980s levels.

It's incredibly positive that nearly every nation on the planet was capable of pulling together to make such an important change. But my guess is it'll take something monumental to inspire the right people to fix the bigger issues that are threatening our long term survival.
  • Options

We live in the UK, we have always had extreme weather conditions at the strangest times. We always will.

Call it what you like but it's no different today than it's always been,

I don't think we have extreme weather in the uk, just shit weather!

Surely extreme weather are those places that experience tornados, hurricanes, monsoons and tsunamis!

But something clearly is changing, as a kid growing up in the 60's we would regularly get snow most winters, deep as well. now the only time we see it is on postcards or skiing!
  • Options
    I think that one day, we will all die.
  • Options

I agree with your comment re. overpopulation, killerandflash. I didn't want to make a long list of causes that appeared 'preachy'. That said, I could have added another factor: Poverty. That is, people who have little choice in their lives and who are sucked into acquiescence in polluting industries through no fault, other than being poor and exploited. India, China, etc....
    I spoke of ignorance earlier, but I think that a great many people are actually well aware that their actions are having a detrimental effect, but feel caught up in 'circumstance' and carry on doing their thing. When working at the Imperial War Museum, I used to exit Waterloo station where all the cabs are. The stench of diesel and the coughing from all the particulates within the exhaust was almost overwhelming. Day after day, week after week. And that's one road, in one city, in one country. Depressingly, as the engines of our modern cars are becoming cleaner, the poor and exploited are struggling on in their often polluted neighbourhoods, grafting for a living, and adding to global warming.
    Factor in, too, the mass slaughter and consumption of animals - and all the escaping gases associated with their being reared... and it's a world that is seriously f*c*ed.

Your last point about our consumption of animals is I believe the single biggest contribution to global warming, ahead of our use of fossil fuels. With countries like India adopting a more western diet this looks like it's only going to increase.

And I share your thoughts on the exit from Waterloo Station. You get caught between the wall of the station and a line of about sixty stationary taxis all with their engines idling. Why don't black cabs have start/stop technology?
  • Options
    Mid July and I'm considering putting on a pullover.
  • Options

Mid July and I'm considering putting on a pullover.

Don't do it, you will feel the benefit when you really should be putting the layers on.