Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Need some good old Charlton Life help

Anybody in recruitment can you give me some details for my daughter to send her cv to.She has done a year at uni, and found it wasn't for her (as a parent knew this all along but teachers at school keep throwing it at you). Anyway she now needs a job is very nervous and scared what lies ahead but heyho that is life, but any help on where she can send her cv to would be greatly appreciated by her and her old man.

Comments

• What line of work/industry does she want to get into?
  • Office based admin Chris
  • If you can support her financially, get her to offer to intern with a few companies that she'd like to work for.

She'll stand out, might get offered a paid job instead or at least she'll get some experience and something to put on her CV.

• An apprenticeship might be an option ...
  • Most of the big boys have plenty of admin roles Steve. It'll be a numbers game (and probably frustrating) but get her to register with these as a start:

Office Angels
    Hays
    Adecco
    Michael Page

Give it a day and then get her to follow up with a call.

Get her CV and profile up on Reed, Monster and CV library as well.

Profile on LinkedIn and connecting with recruiters in that field (simple searching) is a must. I'll send some tips and tricks over on Monday if you want.

If I hear of anything specific (not really my sector) I'll give you a bell.
  • Cheers mate appreciate it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as scary for me as for her, I walked out of School into a job at NatWest, and then from there into a family business only ever had one job interview when I was 16.
  • Not in recruitment myself but what i think may be useful in her position;
    Upload the CV to http://www.reed.co.uk . and register with a few agencies, like brook street.
    Also Excel recruitment on high holborn has been good for basic admin roles in the past. Used them myself years ago. They'll call her in for a basic IT assessment test- in word, and excel.
    Reed is a good site to search from too. Used by hundreds of different recruiters. Update the cv every now and then to generate fresh interest. Make sure personal interests highlighted if not much work experience to draw on.
    Basic admin is not so easy to get into these days as IT has taken away a lot of processing from administrators.
    Also could be well worth getting some experience in the short term through voluntary work i think. Important to keep ticking over. Either an admin role or anything of interest. Can be added to the cv, just like a regular job, and could lead on to something directly too.
    Search through
    https://volunteerteam.london.gov.uk/search/
    And
    https://do-it.org

Beat of luck.
  • edited June 2016
    Agree that getting some voluntary work - a lot of charities will take a volunteer to do the admin - it shows a prospective employer that she has a willingness to work, and an aptitude for the task, and will enable her to get a reference, which will help no end.

Agree with the suggested agencies, and the Reed website lists jobs from other agencies as well, which is good.

Also, try the Prince's Trust - they run a lot of different schemes to help young people find their niche in life.
  • Look at CGL website. Might be something interesting.
    http://www.changegrowlive.org/working-cgl/vacancies
  • edited June 2016
    If she does go down the apprenticeship route, try Middleton Murray in Sidcup, good reputation
  • Sponsored links:

• Steve
    A lot of local doctor surgeries are crying out for admin and reception staff.
    Drop a CV off in person.
    It is stressful stuff and not many stay the trip - but worth a try, as experience is not always needed.
  • edited June 2016
    Steve, my daughter spent 8 months at college, treated like a kid, last month she got an apprenticeship (her work placement asked her to join apprenticeship scheme) as they liked her work ethics she's now doing same course as she was at college but getting paid £600 a month for doing so.

I'll ask her for details if you want.
  • Yes please mate
  • Sent message mate
  • edited June 2016
    Just one thing, I would say promote the positive rather than the negative aspect of leaving University to Employers. It takes quite a bit of guts to admit you have made the wrong choice. To her credit she did the year and did not quit after a couple of months. My daughter had a good degree in 2007 and found it very hard to get a job. She did a lot of temp work. She did a couple of internships. I don't know if things have changed but on both occasions she was just used as free labour and I am sure the companies involved simply replaced one intern with another and had no intention of employing any of them. She is now coming up to 30 and still happy at the Company where she finally got a job in 2008. A friend of mine's daughter did 2 years at University before calling it a day, last year. She applied to a lot of big Accountancy firms who recruit regularly. She was very shy and apprehensive, feeling quitting university would count against her, but in fact got accepted as a trainee by two big companies. Good luck.
  • Macronate said:

If she does go down the apprenticeship route, try Middleton Murray in Sidcup, good reputation

Great call.

Charlton connections as well with @Suthers
  • HI Steve, do some preparatory work with her, discussing her thoughts about the sort of job she might like and the attributes that she has to offer. Look carefully at her CV remembering that it is a big part of selling her to employers. It must reflect her keenness to learn by working hard, and a positive attitude. If there are local businesses which appeal to her, don't wait in the hope of seeing an advert, send her CV to their Human Resources department. There are some good Agencies around, I sent my grandchildren to a privately owned agency and three of us gained employment through them. If you can gently get her to play act an interview, it can help her to understand the sort of questions that she will be asked, so that she is well prepared. Give her lots of encouragement and praise, the more appointments she attends the more confident she will become. Ask your friends about possible vacancies, and definitely stay pro-active. Best of luck.
  • Check out City & Guilds. A very good company to be involved with :-)
  • Can we assume after a year she found a job?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2017
    lol bump from a year ago! got me here well played :)
  • Weird responses, I went on line, immediately wanted to help and wrote my comments. Send the fiver to Children with Cancer please Paddy and don't be so bloody miserable. if Steve wants to message me I will be happy to discuss it with him.
  • edited June 2017
    Grumpy said:

Weird responses, I went on line, immediately wanted to help and wrote my comments. Send the fiver to Children with Cancer please Paddy and don't be so bloody miserable. if Steve wants to message me I will be happy to discuss it with him.

Didn't mean to be miserable! Was only making a joke!

Fiver (plus a bit more) to Children With Cancer will be on its way when the website is back up.
  • Grumpy said:

Weird responses, I went on line, immediately wanted to help and wrote my comments. Send the fiver to Children with Cancer please Paddy and don't be so bloody miserable. if Steve wants to message me I will be happy to discuss it with him.

All done!
  • Grumpy said:

By name and by nature? you are aware you posted in a thread from over a year ago....