Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke Young sucks on fags

From vital football...

What a great night the boxing was. A trip up to the Excel Arena and we all know about the big fight.

But I was shocked to see our club skipper Luke Young there. We had just been smashed 5-1 by Spurs and there stood our captain, with a smug look upon his face.

This is my disappointment...as I approached him and asked of why we had done so badly he happily obliged to say, "we got out played". Yes, Luke, 10 out of 10 there mate. Then he reached into his trouser pocket while holding his pint with his other hand and pulled out a box of 20 Benson & Hedges smokes!!!

I was shocked as he continued to ask if I went to the lane and then sparked up and took a long drag. I really couldn't believe that it was him. He did say that the players are 100% determined to kick start our season and he thinks we will be ok! Amused and somewhat surprised I thanked him for his time and joined my brother to take up the action. Luke walked away with a male friend and that was that.

Now okay, Luke has not broken the law, but to be out on the lager and having a fag...well, that's just not on. Maybe if we hadn't been outplayed at Spurs I wouldn't have minded but he's supposed to be a Premier League player? And he's played for England.

Anyone else surprised and do we know of others who smoke??

This is not a wind up I promise you.

Edited so that people don't think this is my article!!!

Comments

• Didn't Di Canio Drink Copious amounts of Wine and Smoke too. It does seem Strange though!
  • I'm sorry but who cares. The bloke is allowed a bloody social life for crying out loud.

He was smoking WOWWEE - if you or the author of that post thinks he is the only one then u r VERY naive.
  • WSSWSS
    edited December 2006
    I don't care Arf to be honest. Just came across the article and thought i'd post it!

That being said, if i see him struggling for breath with 20mins to go on Saturday i may think differently!!!
  • Your not saying more players smoke or drink are you, I don't believe it for a minute!
  • Mark Feeeeeesh used to drink like a.......well feeeeesh actually! ;o)
  • I saw him piss up a car at the Player of the Year Awards! HA HA
  • I know for a fact Marcus Bent does because I bought him a drink in Bar Room Bar in Sutton & he happily described his goal earlier that day for Leicester against Charlton smoking a fag. To be honest I don't care who does & who doesn't it's if they have pride in the shirt that counts.
  • "Marcus Bent" and "pride in the shirt" in the same paragraph.

You're a right card Ketters! ;-)
  • Luke Young knows his body and fitness better than I do (ooh er mrs!)

However as top level football requires ever more athleticism and stamina it surprises me that a professional of his standing, with international aspirations, considers that smoking does not have a detrimental effect on his fitness and thereby performance
  • As did/does Claus Jensen, and NFR, Tim Henman ( ok i know we are talking about people at the top of their profession so maybe he doesn't count)
  • Sponsored links:

• i am suprised though, more from the fact we constantly have drilled into us about all the post-match conditioning, refuelling, recovery crap, yet they are out on the beer and fags !
  • I can the Nottingham Forest side of the 80's. Some were partial to the odd pint, but one in particular loved a good fag.
  • Here's one, Can you be overweight but 100% fit?
  • define 100% fit- one can always be fitter.

But i see your point ( i think) and agree!
  • [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]Here's one, Can you be overweight but 100% fit?

The majority of international and Premiership rugby players are, by ordinary definition, overweight.

I certainly wouldn't question their fitness though.
  • That's because they are using the Body Mass Index which for 80% of peple is ok but doesn't cater for the likes of Lennox Lewis or Lawrence DeLallio (SP)

The point that ns_eb_rj_s? is trying to make (again- i think) is that something one can ultimately control, ie weight, or back onto the Original thread, smoking, is that this is something that will effect the pursuit of maximum potential, and as Luke is a professional sportsman, surely he should be constantly striving to improve. Unless he doesn't feel he has to??
  • I'd imagine the constant training, fitness work that these professionals do mean that the effects of smoking & the odd pint have very little effect on their bodies. Look at Ricky Hatton, he's got to be very physically fit to do what he does but drinks a shed load when he hasnt got a fight. He might not do it when training but his shape after a fight probably means he doesnt have to worry about it too much.
    However, I'm not a biologist or sports scientist so what would I know!
  • I saw JJ outside Sainsbury's in Greenwich and he was smoking.

And I know Rio likes a puff as well :)
  • I have come to the conclusion that smoking or drinking has no bearing on an athlete's performance as long as you eat the right food. I have a friend who smokes 30 a day and drinks like a fish but can run a marathon in 2 hours 30 mins.
  • and its not me....
  • Sponsored links:

• I could do that and eat 2.5 marathons.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Luke Young knows his body and fitness better than I do (ooh er mrs!)

However as top level football requires ever more athleticism and stamina it surprises me that a professional of his standing, with international aspirations, considers that smoking does not have a detrimental effect on his fitness and thereby performance

Surely that's the point, (may I call you shirley? :-)). He has already reached the pinnacle of playing for England, he is a Club Captain and perhaps aside from this season, has been one of our best players since joining us.

Now unless he only started puffing the dreaded weed 2 months ago, it would appear that the practise hasn't exactly impaired his career.

Sure, what his life will be like once he hangs up his boots is another issue, but that's his business.
  • he smokes weed, well then he has gone up in my estimation!

No wonder he is so slow and inaffective!
  • Smoking is bad for you...locked on Fact!
  • Was it not one of the greatest Rugby players of recent History Serge Blanco I think who smoked 40 a day but could outrun just about eveyone in the world in a sprint for the line ?