Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woeful Holland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33544119

What happened to the Dutch? 3rd in World Cup but 4th in their Euro Group.
Their last game a must win against the Czechs and they get beaten at home by 10 men.

Can you imagine if that was England, what the press reaction would be! Makes McClaren's 'wally with the brolly'
team look good.

Comments

• Thought this was another thread on Captain Cleanshorts.
  • Been a funny one for a few years in the fact that they've usually git about 3 or 4 world beaters and the rest are completely average.
  • Been a funny one for a few years in the fact that they've usually git about 3 or 4 world beaters and the rest are completely average.

Normally it's those with the massive egos that are the problems for the Dutch.
  • Greenie said:

I'm just pleased that that steaming turd Robben won't be at the finals!

Him retiring is their downfall.
  • Looked very poor tonight, especially at the back where Van Djik (sic), looks absolutely woeful.

Still a mystery how a team that was 3rd in the WC, can fail to qualify from a group that wasn't that hard in reality.

Robben and Vlaar a huge miss for the Dutch - IMHO.
  • Depay was awful as well
  • Totally underwhelmed by Depay, if he is what $30M gets you these days, then God help us.

I'll miss the Dutch at the Euro's, always offer something a bit different, even if it is sometimes a monumental falling out amongst the coaching and playing staff (WC 90, Euro 96 and Euro 2004) if I remember correctly.

I think that the natural Dutch instinct for plain speaking, can often lead them into dangerous territory.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it possibly down to Louis van Gaal's departure? Who's their current manager? Not that I think LVG is great but perhaps the managerial change has had a negative impact and the current one is not good enough?
  • They has Guus Hiddink, who was a disaster for the first half of the QF's, and have had Danny Blind for the second half - who hasn't improved things much!
  • Southampton Fans should be worried at the moment, I'd expect Holland to go after Koeman when they want to change again
  • Looked down their team list last night and surprised how few I had heard of
  • Looked down their team list last night and surprised how few I had heard of

Saw a stat on Twitter that only two of the team that demolished Spain in Brazil, started last night.

Even so...
  • I suspect Mr Blind will be out of a job very soon - he isn't exactly popular and their performance has been laughable.

I can't imagine what the press would be like over here if we had performed like that
  • They have always had some bang average players mixed in with worldies but when they gel, they gel and the Dutch instinct takes over occasionally and we're all crowing about orange total football. For whatever reason (and there are many) they don't gel as often as they should.

Coaching around the world has also improved hugely in the last 2 decades amd a lot of Dutch coaches have been responsible for that. Very few national sides now don't at least try and play on the floor so Holland aren't as unique in their total football style as they once were. In fact if you were 20 years old you'd think total football was a Spanish thing.

• Totally underwhelmed by Depay, if he is what $30M gets you these days, then God help us.

In the summer, if you spent a fortune on a Dutch young star, you assumed you were getting a world beater... I suspect this failure to qualify will be a reality check on how good some of their young players are...
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't we buy a promising young striker from the Dutch leagues to replace Yann

Where is he now?
  • We also bought a promising winger from the Dutch leagues.

In the summer, if you spent a fortune on a Dutch young star, you assumed you were getting a world beater... I suspect this failure to qualify will be a reality check on how good some of their young players are...
    Depay is what, 21?

Think he's going to be a very good player.
  • Disagree on that one mate.

Doesn't have the pace to go on the outside, and looks to come infield at every given opportunity.

Think he may have a career similar to that other your Dutch lad, who went to Liverpool with a big reputation Ryan Babel.

A few flashes of talent, but on the whole struggled to impose himself on a better league than the Dutch PL, and then drifted off to a variety of continental mid range clubs.

Depay is what, 21?

Think he's going to be a very good player.
    He is a very good player and have enjoyed watching him in TV. He has a poor game for the Dutch and he's suddenly kak? Mmmmmmmm.........
  • Didn't say he was no good, just don't think he is going to be top rank.
  • Depay looks pretty quick from what I've n? Powerful and skilful too.

Young guy and new to the league, he's still got a lot to learn but he's got plenty to build on.

We'll see, but I reckon in a couple of years time (and possibly under the next manager who plays quicker football than Van Gaal seems to) he'll be a very good player.
  • Didn't really rate Ronaldo at first either, so what do I know!
  • Didn't really rate Ronaldo at first either, so what do I know!

That's a good comparison to be fair - not that's he's going to be as good as Ronaldo (who is bar Messi?), but that Ronaldo was inconsistent and a bit lightweight for the first 2 or 3 years over here.

Depends on Depay's attitude and willingness to work hard and learn but he has all the assets to succeed.