Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• limeygent said:

No one is suggesting arming school children, and you know it.

Who says the teachers or security team are 'good guys'?

Arming security will lead to innocent children being shot as a preventative because the security guards thought they had a gun. Just like the police in America do currently.
  • edited October 2015

limeygent said:

People who wish to commit illegal acts will do so no matter what laws are in place. Guns will always be available to those who want to commit a crime such as this, and they choose their targets where they can do the most damage. This campus was a "no gun zone", with no armed security. He was stopped as soon as another gun arrived, about eight minutes after he started shooting.
    He apparently was shooting people who identified themselves as Christians, and reports are saying that he admired the perpetrators of previous shootings. It's time to consider how these incidents are reported.

I very often want to commit mass murder at work but the fact that i don't have a gun in my glove box, man bag or desk has frustratingly stopped me so far. Perhaps if I move to the USA things will change for me.

I sometimes feel the same. I've come to the conclusion that poisoning the communal coffee would be just as effective as using a gun. Hope I've helped.

• So serious question, given that there are millions of guns, legally owned and not, what is the answer? Confiscate the guns? Good luck with that. If not a single gun were sold from this day on, and all of the legal guns were turned in, would gun crime be reduced? I think not. If the NRA went away today, would gun crime be reduced? I think not. There are some clever people on here, what are their suggestions? Instead of criticizing American gun owners as "gun-toting nuts" come up with some sensible ideas, but keep in mind that new laws are ignored in just the same way that old laws are ignored by those that choose to ignore them.
  • limeygent said:

People who wish to commit illegal acts will do so no matter what laws are in place. Guns will always be available to those who want to commit a crime such as this, and they choose their targets where they can do the most damage. This campus was a "no gun zone", with no armed security. He was stopped as soon as another gun arrived, about eight minutes after he started shooting.
    He apparently was shooting people who identified themselves as Christians, and reports are saying that he admired the perpetrators of previous shootings. It's time to consider how these incidents are reported.

I very often want to commit mass murder at work but the fact that i don't have a gun in my glove box, man bag or desk has frustratingly stopped me so far. Perhaps if I move to the USA things will change for me.

Could you not use the most deadly joke ever written a la Monty Python?

Worked a treat when i was last tenpted to perform mass genocide.
  • limeygent said:

No one is suggesting arming school children, and you know it.

Isn't that denying them their constitutional right to bear arms?
    If it weren't true that would be funny. Lots of those at the college were of course adults so presumably could have pulled out their own piece if only the school rules had allowed them to carry and not get detention for it...

Christ you couldn't make it up.
  • limeygent said:

So serious question, given that there are millions of guns, legally owned and not, what is the answer? Confiscate the guns? Good luck with that. If not a single gun were sold from this day on, and all of the legal guns were turned in, would gun crime be reduced? I think not. If the NRA went away today, would gun crime be reduced? I think not. There are some clever people on here, what are their suggestions? Instead of criticizing American gun owners as "gun-toting nuts" come up with some sensible ideas, but keep in mind that new laws are ignored in just the same way that old laws are ignored by those that choose to ignore them.

Yes it would. Like every other country that did it. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have the first idea how to get a gun illegally in the UK, even if I snapped tomorrow.

As an aside, you do realise how expensive hiring a security team for every single school in America would be right? Paid for by whom?
  • limeygent said:

So serious question, given that there are millions of guns, legally owned and not, what is the answer? Confiscate the guns? Good luck with that. If not a single gun were sold from this day on, and all of the legal guns were turned in, would gun crime be reduced? I think not. If the NRA went away today, would gun crime be reduced? I think not. There are some clever people on here, what are their suggestions? Instead of criticizing American gun owners as "gun-toting nuts" come up with some sensible ideas, but keep in mind that new laws are ignored in just the same way that old laws are ignored by those that choose to ignore them.

Yes. Yes it would.
  • limeygent said:

Yes. Yes it would.
    If only.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh dear, that's because nobody's paid a bit of attention to anything the weakest American President since WW2 has said in seven years.
  • limeygent said:

Oh dear, that's because nobody's paid a bit of attention to anything the weakest American President since WW2 has said in seven years.

Nobody except the majorities that voted for him in the last 2 US presidential elections.
  • limeygent said:

limeygent said:

Yes. Yes it would.
    If only.
    Fair enough but take me through the logic that massively reducing access to firearms would not result in less crime as a result of access to said weapons then, because I'm missing something in that case.
  • limeygent said:

Oh dear, that's because nobody's paid a bit of attention to anything the weakest American President since WW2 has said in seven years.

That's OK then.

doesn't matter if people are killed all the time, let's not listen to the president because on mass killings because we don't like his other policies.

Let's pretend nothing can be done let's ignore what countries like Australia did to end masses killings.

Just as long as the constitutional right to own an AK47 or some other assault rifle isn't touched it doesn't matter if people get slaughtered. Their own fault for not being armed themselves, everyone else is to blame but not the lack of gun control, that is impossible.

• Anyone who doesn't think there's a correlation between the availability of guns and the use of guns in instances such as these, is deluded.

That guns are available is a given. No new laws are going to get illegal guns off the streets. The criminal element will always have guns.
  • Confiscating legal firearms is not going to happen. The argument that "if guns were made illegal, only criminals would have guns" cannot be argued. The only people who would give up their guns are those who got them legally. I have to go into Baltimore regularly, to areas I wouldn't go out of choice. I have no protection as the gun carry laws are so stringent in Maryland. Those same laws do not stop Baltimore City having one of the highest gun murder rates in The U.S.
  • One of the things you hear about constantly over here is the War on Terror - Terrorism - the huge threat to our massive continent from the foreign bogey man. We are in the middle of an election campaign in Canada - it's a major election point. Everybody, especially those in the remotest rural hideouts in the middle of the prairies, needs to be protected from imminent death at the hands of a crazy terrorist. I don't recall a single mention of gun control in the election so far.

In the U.S. In the last 10 years

Deaths from terrorism - 300
    Deaths from gun incidents - 300,000+

Unfortunately there is an increasingly US style mentality to gun control in Canada thanks to the odious Harper and his backers.

• Sponsored links:

• Oakster said:

One of the things you hear about constantly over here is the War on Terror - Terrorism - the huge threat to our massive continent from the foreign bogey man. We are in the middle of an election campaign in Canada - it's a major election point. Everybody, especially those in the remotest rural hideouts in the middle of the prairies, needs to be protected from imminent death at the hands of a crazy terrorist. I don't recall a single mention of gun control in the election so far.

Unfortunately there is an increasingly US style mentality to gun control in Canada thanks to the odious Harper and his backers.

Forgetting 9/11?
  • edited October 2015
    He did specify the last 10 years. 9/11 was '01.
  • limeygent said:

Oakster said:

One of the things you hear about constantly over here is the War on Terror - Terrorism - the huge threat to our massive continent from the foreign bogey man. We are in the middle of an election campaign in Canada - it's a major election point. Everybody, especially those in the remotest rural hideouts in the middle of the prairies, needs to be protected from imminent death at the hands of a crazy terrorist. I don't recall a single mention of gun control in the election so far.

Forgetting 9/11?
    The yearly death rate from gun violence is around 30,000 so even factoring in that - the ratio is still skewed. I don't dispute that the prevention of terrorism is important, but the relevance of terrorism to every day life over here pales when compared to the chances of being gunned down by some loon with a gun legally purchased at the local gun fair with absolutely no background checks.
  • They don't have to confiscate legal firearms.

Just restricting the sale of firearms going forward would be a start.
  • MrOneLung said:

We need trident as the bad guys have nuclear weapons.....

Do away with it. PS this is a thread digging at Merica's

limeygent said:

Yes it would. Like every other country that did it. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have the first idea how to get a gun illegally in the UK, even if I snapped tomorrow.

As an aside, you do realise how expensive hiring a security team for every single school in America would be right? Paid for by whom?
    Find a drug dealer, build up a rapport, ask about getting hold of a gun. Buy gun.
  • edited October 2015
    @limeygent before you can say nothing can be done about guns in circulation, at least have a cursory glance at how Australia removed guns from circulation. I'll even provide a link for you:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

They had a gun problem, it got so bad they decided to act. They acted and it was successful. If you are saying that something similar wouldn't work in the US, at least tell us why. If everybody just keeps paraoting the line that nothing can be done then they'll be right and nothing will even be attempted.

The argument that if a security guard at the college had been armed then the massacre wouldn't have happened can neither be proved nor disproved. But arming the security guards is basically swapping the unlikely event someone will go nuts and come on campus and start shooting, with the more likely event that a low paid rent-a-cop will accidentally (or deliberately) shoot someone on campus. Bit of a sophie's choice. If you armed every college campus guard in the US I think you'd see less mass killings, but more deaths overall. Of course very few of those would be reported, and the majority that would reported would of course be "tragic accidents", but there'd be fewer headlines and everybody could keep their guns. It's the American way afterall.
  • edited October 2015
    limeygent said:

Confiscating legal firearms is not going to happen. The argument that "if guns were made illegal, only criminals would have guns" cannot be argued. The only people who would give up their guns are those who got them legally. I have to go into Baltimore regularly, to areas I wouldn't go out of choice. I have no protection as the gun carry laws are so stringent in Maryland. Those same laws do not stop Baltimore City having one of the highest gun murder rates in The U.S.

Out of interest, under what circumstances would you consider using your gun then, assuming your in a place where you are allowed to carry it and not Maryland?
  • That thread on page one is seriously creepy.