Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

DAB car radios

The state of radio these days (XFM bringing in Moyles FFS) has made me finally decide upon getting DAB installed in the car. Has anyone got this already? My only concern is the signal , are the windscreen mounted aerials decent enough only the roof mounted ones look like the sort of thing a mini cab driver has on the roof.

Comments

• Ive got one of the Highway DAB one (so removable/not fully installed). The aerial which sticks on the inside of the window seems to do the job fine both in the countryside and built up areas. Only very rarely does the signal drop out and thats usually only for about 5 seconds.

I would think an installed one would perform better.

• Love the factory fitted DAB in my Ford. Very occasional dropout but can now listen to 6 on the go.

Didn't realise XFM got Moyles in, joke of a once great station.
  • My DAB was ready installed with the satnav etc. and has an exterior stumpy aerial which is only about seven inches long and is removable for car washing and all that .. the reception is superb and even in remoter parts of the UK the vast majority of stations are available
  • Like @EastTerrace, I can only vouch for the factory fitted DAB in my newish 64 plate Ford Focus.

Crystal clear and totally uninterupted coverage. Unlike in my Mrs Hyundai IX35 which cuts out every 2 or 3 mins for 10 seconds at a time!
  • My DAB was ready installed with the satnav etc. and has an exterior stumpy aerial which is only about seven inches long and is removable for car washing and all that .. the reception is superb and even in remoter parts of the UK the vast majority of stations are available

Cheers Lincs.

What with the new stations coming on that talksport's owners are bringing plus 6 music and amazing radio its now time.
  • I have DAB installed in my car too but I did buy my dad a removable one that he used for months before he got a car with it included and it worked well.

It seemed quite a flimsy bit of kit but worked fine for him. It is about 6 years old though so I'm sure they've improved.
  • Defo going down the installed route Suze. What's the aerial like on yours? Like a normal flexible one?
  • Actually other than halfrauds can anyone recommend somewhere that does car audio? There used to be that one by the sun in the sands but that's long since gone now.
  • buckshee said:

Defo going down the installed route Suze. What's the aerial like on yours? Like a normal flexible one?

erm, normal I think - never noticed any different. It's black if that helps ;-)
  • Strangely it does.
  • Sponsored links:

• My ariels on the parcel shelf works ok but lose signal just outside Hastings (were I live) get it back about 10 mins up the A21.Loose all stations sometimes have to do a full 're tune always picks up Gaydar first
  • edited July 2015
    I went to Sounds Alarming in Welling. Excellent experience all round. Have a little block type Ariel on the windscreen and it works perfectly. My car is a base spec Mondeo and I had the speakers changed too as the old ones were buzzing. So now I have Dab, FM, mw, hands free phone bluetoothed with a little mic by the rear view mirror, a CD player and auxiliary socket. With a £2 connector you can charge your phone on the go, but the phone only has to be nearby to take a call. When you get a call the music stops and the other persons voice comes out of the speakers.
    I would recommend sounds alarming (on the road out of Welling lights towards Plumstead) glad I have done it.
  • Test cricket in the car on DAB 5 Live Extra - so much better than listening on long wave.
  • seth plum said:

I went to Sounds Alarming in Welling. Excellent experience all round. Have a little block type Ariel on the windscreen and it works perfectly. My car is a base spec Mondeo and I had the speakers changed too as the old ones were buzzing. So now I have Dab, FM, mw, hands free phone bluetoothed with a little mic by the rear view mirror, a CD player and auxiliary socket. With a £2 connector you can charge your phone on the go, but the phone only has to be nearby to take a call. When you get a call the music stops and the other persons voice comes out of the speakers.
    I would recommend sounds alarming (on the road out of Welling lights towards Plumstead) glad I have done it.

I got Halfords to do it, but by the sound of things I have a similar setup (on an elderly Focus). Really handy to be able to bluetooth my music from the phone to the stereo rather than having to carry around loads of CDs to the car, and my 99p charger works a treat also!
  • edited July 2015

My ariels on the parcel shelf works ok but lose signal just outside Hastings (were I live) get it back about 10 mins up the A21.Loose all stations sometimes have to do a full 're tune always picks up Gaydar first

so the favourites setting works fine........... :wink:
  • My ariels on the parcel shelf works ok but lose signal just outside Hastings (were I live) get it back about 10 mins up the A21.Loose all stations sometimes have to do a full 're tune always picks up Gaydar first

so the favourites setting works fine........... :wink:
    My ariel doesn't stick enough to pick up that station!
  • Got one fitted on Saturday , love the fact that I can listen to so much more stuff and not listen to the crap on the FM band.
  • another vote for the factory fitted ford in my new SMax, the DAB radio is superb in it
  • Addickted said:

Test cricket in the car on DAB 5 Live Extra - so much better than listening on long wave.

But how can you function without knowing "dogger, Cromarty, fair isle. North or northeast. 5 or 6. Occasional rain. Moderate."
  • I have DAB installed. If you travel outside of London regularly - it's good for radio stations you know and talk sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Test cricket in the car on DAB 5 Live Extra - so much better than listening on long wave.

But how can you function without knowing "dogger, Cromarty, fair isle. North or northeast. 5 or 6. Occasional rain. Moderate."
    "So England need 1 wicket for a historic victory, this is great stuff...and now Radio 4 LW listeners will be leaving us for a few minutes..."