Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Updated Squad & Leavers- 1st September 2015

edited September 2015 in General Charlton
With thanks to Scoham who does all the hard work. All mistakes mine. Please inbox any corrections

Copyright of Charlton Life

NAME / CONTRACT EXPIRY DATE (contacts expired 30 June of year given unless otherwise stated)

Goalkeepers

Stephen Henderson 2017
Nick Pope 2018
Dimitar Mitov 2017 plus one year option
Marko Dmitrovic 2016 - (Loaned to Alcorcon until end of 2015/6 season)

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2017
Regan Charles-Cook 2016 or 2017 (estimated)

Centre Backs

Patrick Bauer 2019
Alou Diarra 2016
Naby Sarr 2020
Harry Lennon 2016

Left Backs

Morgan Fox 2017

Right Midfielders

Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson 2019

Central Midfielders

Jordan Cousins 2019
El-Hadji Ba 2018
Johnnie Jackson 2016
Ahmed Kashi 2018
Cristian Ceballos 2018

Left Midfielders

Franck Moussa 2016
Zakarya Bergdich 2019
Callum Harriott 2016 (on loan to Colchester Utd until 2 January 2016)

Strikers

Simon Makienok (Loaned from Palermo until end of 2015/16 season)
Igor Vetokele 2019
Tony Watt 2018
Reza Ghoochannejhad 2016
Karlan Ahearne-Grant 2017 plus 1 year option
Piotr Parzyszek 2018 (Loaned to Randers until end of 2015/6 season)
George Tucudean 2017 (Loaned to Steaua Bucharest until end of 2015/16 season)
Joe Pigott 2016 (Loaned to Southend United until January 2016)
Zak Ansah 2016 (Loaned to Newport Country for one month)

U21 Development Squad

Goalkeepers

Dillon Phillips 2016 (Loaned to Cheltenham until 2 January 2016)
Jordan Beeney 2018 (had heard he signed a 2 year scholarship and 2 year pro deal)

Right Backs

Aaron Barnes 2016 or 2017 (estimated)

Centre Backs
Josh Staunton 2016 (estimated)
Ayo Obileye 2016 (Loaned to Dagenham and Redbridge until January 2016)
Terell Thomas 2017 (Loaned to Woking until October 2015)
Ezri Konsa 2017 (estimated)

Left Backs

Tareiq Holmes-Dennis 2016
Archie Edwards 2016 or 2017 (estimated)

Central Midfielders

Oliver Muldoon 2017
Alex Kelly 2016 or 2017 (estimated)
George Lapslie 2017 or 2018 (estimated)
Joe Aribo (2016 estimated)

Strikers

Tobi Sho-Silva 2016 (estimated) (Loaned to Inverness Caledonian Thistle until January 2016)
Mikhail Kennedy 2016 (estimated)
Josh Umerah 2016 or 2017 (estimated)
Brandon Hanlan 2016 or 2017 (estimated)

Leavers since end of last Season

Senior players

Frederic Bulot
Yoni Buyens
Tal Ben Haim
Simon Church
Chris Eagles
Roger Johnson
Lawrie Wilson
Oguchi Onyewu
Neil Etheridge
Christophe Lepoint
Joe Gomez
Loic Nego
Andre Bikey-Amougou

NB Piotr Parzyszek and George Tucudean have not returned to the club but remain under contract

U21s

Jack Munns
Harry Osborne
Harry Gerard
Kadell Daniel
Kurtis Cumberbatch
Kieran Monlouis
Rhys Browne
Levander Pyke

Comments

• I thought this was going to be satirical, as in "updated since this morning with all our last minute incomings".
  • edited September 2015
    Have moved Mitov, Charles-Cook, Lennon and Aherne Grant to the first team squad as they have been involved more there than in the U21s so far.

Including them we have 21 first team players available (not counting loans out and the two long term injuries (Reza and Moussa)

Of these 3 are goalkeepers.

Only one is one loan to Charlton (Makienok)

One came from the "network" (Watt)

Six are from the academy (Mitov, Charles-Cook, Solly, Lennon, Cousins, Aherne-Grant)

Six players are on loan out of the club.

Someone with more time can work out all their ages, please.
  • edited September 2015
    Surely Cousins signed 4 years contract recentlly?

Ed. Good spot, amended
  • Ceballos a right mid not central midfielder?
  • Need to put in details of Cousins new contract - 2019?
  • so about 3 or 4 players short of a 25 man squad (which is the no. that Premier league teams have to register with UEFA for competitions)
  • Although prem squads don't include players under 21
  • Shows how thin certain positions are. On the positive, with the exception of THD and Archie Edwards who seem promising from what I hear there is no one on a perm contract ending this summer I would be too sorry about losing (obv Diarra would be a loss but age wise 1 year at a time is sensible).
  • Would've liked a right/centre back and a couple of proper wingers but the spine of our team is strongest it's been in years.
  • Shows how thin certain positions are. On the positive, with the exception of THD and Archie Edwards who seem promising from what I hear there is no one on a perm contract ending this summer I would be too sorry about losing (obv Diarra would be a loss but age wise 1 year at a time is sensible).

Several players can play in more than one position though, this season alone Cousins has played at RB, Cebalos at RM and JBG as a forward. Diarra is also a midfielder, Bergdich a LB etc
  • Sponsored links:

Or you could put Diarra in centre mid. There has to be an element of "put them in one position only" even if they move around.

Although prem squads don't include players under 21

Which is a key point.

Take out our U21s and were down to about 14 or 15 players

Or you could put Diarra in centre mid. There has to be an element of "put them in one position only" even if they move around.

Which is a key point.

I'm glad Jackson wasn't moved on as some suggested he should be, that experience is so vital on and off the pitch given the age of our squad.

Several players can play in more than one position though, this season alone Cousins has played at RB, Cebalos at RM and JBG as a forward. Diarra is also a midfielder, Bergdich a LB etc
    True, but 20 outfield players including Lennon, Moussa, Charles Cook and, to a lesser extent Jackson and Reza seems very light to me. Take them out and you have a very decent first team squad of 17 including keepers but little behind that.

Even more so when you factor in the previous injury records of Solly, Watt, Igor, Ba and Diarra.

Not meant as a negative as I think we have stepped up from last year and 2 or 3 PL loans could move us on again to a real challenger. We just seem light right now.

Personally I think losing Johnnie Jackson this summer would be a huge knock to the squad. He's held things together through some tough times. If he isn't playing hope he is staying coaching.

True, but 20 outfield players including Lennon, Moussa, Charles Cook and, to a lesser extent Jackson and Reza seems very light to me. Take them out and you have a very decent first team squad of 17 including keepers but little behind that.

Even more so when you factor in the previous injury records of Solly, Watt, Igor, Ba and Diarra.

Not meant as a negative as I think we have stepped up from last year and 2 or 3 PL loans could move us on again to a real challenger. We just seem light right now.
    If we had 23 senior players, then the youngsters would have no route into the first team. It's a balancing act, you don't want to play poor or unready youngsters just because it's all you've got, but the likes of Gomez, Fox and KAG need a chance to play, that's what makes our Academy attractive to potential recruits

Which is a key point.

No different to 12 months ago. Hopefully M.Roly will let Luzon play in the loan market next Wednesday or history could repeat it self again.
  • Solid squad
  • Emergency loans are still allowed this year as well? The way we are playing and the quality in the squad is good. More injuries in key positions especially if long term would leave us, or any team in our position exposed.

I think getting the youngsters out is good management.

I am hoping from a young squad that we make it to the play offs this year but if not then if we can keep the team together and keep playing the way we have been then I'd like to be promoted the year after so we don't need to dump our squad to perform ok at premiership level.
  • If the injury prone players Henderson,Solly, Watt, Igor, Ba and Diarra get or stay injured then we will have a team of
    Pope Cousins Sarr Bauer Fox JBG Kashi Jackson Bergdich KAG Makionek, and a bench of Mitov, Lennon,Ceballos, THD, Cook,Kennedy and 1 other boy. Looks pretty thin to me, as it did by the end of the Wolves game.
  • http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-colchester-united-u21-report-2669888.aspx

"Meanwhile, Euell has added young midfielder Joe Aribo to the Addicks youth ranks following a successful trial. The 19-year-old former Staines Town youngster has signed a one-year deal with the club."
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-colchester-united-u21-report-2669888.aspx

"Meanwhile, Euell has added young midfielder Joe Aribo to the Addicks youth ranks following a successful trial. The 19-year-old former Staines Town youngster has signed a one-year deal with the club."

During pre seasons Euell said he thought he could play in the first team at some point this year!
  • I do like the sound of him. Was very involved in a lot of our good pre-season play.

Hopefully we picked up a non-league gem. :-)

• Six are from the academy (Mitov, Charles-Cook, Solly, Lennon, Cousins, Aherne-Grant)

And Fox. (But not Pope because he was over 18 when he joined from Bury Town?)
  • I hate to say it and sound like a moaner, but our season hangs on avoiding injuries. In an ideal world we would have brought in some more experienced players to add depth, maybe three back-up players for the a left back and a right back positions (as well as another winger)
  • Looks so poor looking back. The window closed and goalkeeper was probably the only position we were strong enough.

Seven summer signings, only two were good enough and both were injured the most of the season.

McAleny and Vaz Te signed later on, so that's two good signings out of 9. Early January they then brought in Williams, Poyet and Johnson, another three bad signings (what happened to Poyet? Should have been up to it).
  • We started the season, under Luzon, with the sole purpose of aiming to be competitive, trying to sneak 1-0 wins or at least get a point.

After the initial teams realised we were not a threat and they all opened up against us.

If we made a sensible decision in October and backed a proper manager IMO we would have stayed up (Just about).

Too many big opportunities were missed to give us a chance to stay up. Bolton home, MK home/away, Bristol City home etc.
  • Stephen Henderson
    Nick Pope
    Dimitar Mitov

Right Backs

Chris Solly
    Rod Fanni

Centre Backs

Patrick Bauer
    Alou Diarra
    Jorge Teixeira
    Naby Sarr
    Harry Lennon

Left Backs

Morgan Fox
    Yun Suk-Young

Right Midfielders

Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson
    Marco Motta

Central Midfielders

Jordan Cousins
    El-Hadji Ba
    Johnnie Jackson
    Ahmed Kashi
    Cristian Ceballos
    Diego Poyet

Left Midfielders

Franck Moussa
    Zakarya Bergdich
    Callum Harriott

Strikers

Simon Makienok
    Igor Vetokele
    Ademola Lookman
    Tony Watt
    Reza Ghoochannejhad

Start the season with that team I think we would have survived, just
  • Not sure we'd be allowed field that many though...