Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Game of Thrones

Comments

• I've watched all 4 seasons plus last night's episode. Genuinely only understand about 30% of what is going on and what the characters are discussing, but oddly still keep wanting to watch it.
  • JWADDICK said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

Just thought the Viper's brother is a king or lord elsewhere isn't he? Surely he will not accept his brother's death technically at the hands of the Lannisters.

I think it's the Viper's father (based on the books). He is the actual prince or Dorne. he has 3 daughters as well. I would expect to see them in this series as that is where Mycella (cersei's daughter has been sent)
    ************possible spoiler alert********************************

It's the viper's brother that is King Of Dorne. At least one of the sand snakes speaks to him as her uncle and wants revenge for her father i.e Oberyn.
    Yeah I did worry that may be a tad spoiler, but then if you remember at the start of s4 when Oberyn turns up with his sister they reference the family and you see Mycella sailing off on the ship.

I'm positive Oberyn is the son though and they have a father based on the books. I could be wrong, but I remember them referencing an old man, very frail, couldn't leave Dorne because of it.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

JWADDICK said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

Just thought the Viper's brother is a king or lord elsewhere isn't he? Surely he will not accept his brother's death technically at the hands of the Lannisters.

I think it's the Viper's father (based on the books). He is the actual prince or Dorne. he has 3 daughters as well. I would expect to see them in this series as that is where Mycella (cersei's daughter has been sent)

It's the viper's brother that is King Of Dorne. At least one of the sand snakes speaks to him as her uncle and wants revenge for her father i.e Oberyn.
    Oberyn was a good character, wish he'd survived to this season.
    This is exactly what makes GOT great. Any character you begin to like or support, they kill in the worse way possible. Quality TV!
    Oh absolutely, I still remember being completely shocked when Ned Stark was beheaded at the end of season one, no other show would do that.
    No other author...
  • colthe3rd said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of Dany. Unfortunately seems as if she will be in it for the long haul. However, as with last night she is a more interesting character when you get to see her more vulnerable and not just the idealistic ruler she tries to be.

Finally we are getting to the Cersei being responsible for what happened to Robert. I've been saying it for quite a while. I don't think it's a coincidence either that Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon and Joffrey Baratheon all died of poisoning. Not a book reader (well I've read the first one but the show has gone well past that) so it's all speculation on my part just I still think she had something to do with Joffrey.

SPOILER WARNINGS IF YOU HAVEN'T CAUGHT UP TO END OF SEASON 4
    It was established in Season 2 (I think) that Cersei instructed Lancel to poison Robert's wine. Jon Arryn and Joffrey were both poisoned on the order of Little Finger (although the latter was in conjunction with the old woman from Highgarden) as he has admitted that.

Shame Arya didn't make an appearance last night but with everything going on she'll probably get more exposure as the season goes on.

I don't understand where Brienne and Podrick's story can go from here - they literally have no quest, their chemistry is now really tiresome and I can't see where they will fit into the grand plans.

The Boltons were mentioned and their banner is now featured on Winterfell in the opening titles so we'll see them next episode I reckon.

Episode 9 always tends to be a big battle, I haven't read the books but seems like Stannis is gearing up to march on Winterfell if he can convince the Wildlings to join him.

All in all, a good if slow start to the season but wheels are being set in motion. Shame it is unlikely we will see fan favourite Hodor at all this season.
  • cabbles said:

JWADDICK said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

Yeah I did worry that may be a tad spoiler, but then if you remember at the start of s4 when Oberyn turns up with his sister they reference the family and you see Mycella sailing off on the ship.

I'm positive Oberyn is the son though and they have a father based on the books. I could be wrong, but I remember them referencing an old man, very frail, couldn't leave Dorne because of it.
    I actually meant that my comment might be the spoiler - not yours however I dont think either of us has given too much away.

I know where you're coming from but the frail old man is Oberyn's brother - he suffers from gout and can't walk. I think I'm right but it's been a while since I read the books.
  • edited April 2015
    Fiiish said:

colthe3rd said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of Dany. Unfortunately seems as if she will be in it for the long haul. However, as with last night she is a more interesting character when you get to see her more vulnerable and not just the idealistic ruler she tries to be.

Finally we are getting to the Cersei being responsible for what happened to Robert. I've been saying it for quite a while. I don't think it's a coincidence either that Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon and Joffrey Baratheon all died of poisoning. Not a book reader (well I've read the first one but the show has gone well past that) so it's all speculation on my part just I still think she had something to do with Joffrey.

It was established in Season 2 (I think) that Cersei instructed Lancel to poison Robert's wine. Jon Arryn and Joffrey were both poisoned on the order of Little Finger (although the latter was in conjunction with the old woman from Highgarden) as he has admitted that.

Shame Arya didn't make an appearance last night but with everything going on she'll probably get more exposure as the season goes on.

I don't understand where Brienne and Podrick's story can go from here - they literally have no quest, their chemistry is now really tiresome and I can't see where they will fit into the grand plans.

They've missed something out in the tv programme that is in the book that is integral to Brienne's future - I am interested to see what happens as well, she does have a bit more to do now, PM me if you want me to go into specifics

The Boltons were mentioned and their banner is now featured on Winterfell in the opening titles so we'll see them next episode I reckon.

They've brought the Boltons into the TV programme a lot earlier than in the books.

Episode 9 always tends to be a big battle, I haven't read the books but seems like Stannis is gearing up to march on Winterfell if he can convince the Wildlings to join him.

All in all, a good if slow start to the season but wheels are being set in motion. Shame it is unlikely we will see fan favourite Hodor at all this season.
  • Fiiish said:

colthe3rd said:

I know that's what Littlefinger has said but just think there's more to it than that. What was that exchange between Cersei and Grand Maester Pycelle where he said he helped her with that problem? I think she later said it was for an abortion but was it not him that she sourced the poison from in the past?
  • JWADDICK said:

cabbles said:

JWADDICK said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

I actually meant that my comment might be the spoiler - not yours however I dont think either of us has given too much away.

I know where you're coming from but the frail old man is Oberyn's brother - he suffers from gout and can't walk. I think I'm right but it's been a while since I read the books.
    That's the problem for me as well, you forget exactly what happens, plus the TV series has dropped/moved things about
  • edited April 2015
    WSS said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

JWADDICK said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

This is exactly what makes GOT great. Any character you begin to like or support, they kill in the worse way possible. Quality TV!
    Oh absolutely, I still remember being completely shocked when Ned Stark was beheaded at the end of season one, no other show would do that.
    No other author...
    Not true. For anyone who has read the books and is looking for something similar try these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

It's GoT for grown ups ;)
  • I know the tv show has jumbled things and changed a few bits from the books but this season looks like it will be the one that will shock everyone loads more than the red wedding. At least one character is going to get their comeuppance big time possibly two.

The episode was good, standard has been set very high but I think they need to do 15 episodes per series from now as there is so much going on
  • Sponsored links:

• For you insomniacs that wish that the episodes were simultaneously broadcast with the US shows good news for you
  • Sky realising they've fucked up.
  • edited April 2015
    colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

colthe3rd said:

I know that's what Littlefinger has said but just think there's more to it than that. What was that exchange between Cersei and Grand Maester Pycelle where he said he helped her with that problem? I think she later said it was for an abortion but was it not him that she sourced the poison from in the past?
    The poison was when she was contemplating taking her and Tommen's life during the battle of Blackwater wasn't it?

• Kap10 said:

For you insomniacs that wish that the episodes were simultaneously broadcast with the US shows good news for you

This means i've gotta avoid spoilers all day monday from work shy bastards that can stay up until 2am
  • Dazzler21 said:

colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

colthe3rd said:

The poison was when she was contemplating taking her and Tommen's life during the battle of Blackwater wasn't it?

Yes, yes it was. The wine given to Robert was stronger than standard, got him smashed, slowed him down then got taken out by the boar.
  • cafcpolo said:

Dazzler21 said:

colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

colthe3rd said:

Yes, yes it was. The wine given to Robert was stronger than standard, got him smashed, slowed him down then got taken out by the boar.
    Sansa?
  • Kap10 said:

For you insomniacs that wish that the episodes were simultaneously broadcast with the US shows good news for you

This means i've gotta avoid spoilers all day monday from work shy bastards that can stay up until 2am
    Record it and get up an hour earlier before work, problem solved
  • Flixanity have the 1st 4 episodes online now. Watched them all last night, silly really now have to wait 5 weeks for the rest!
  • Carter said:

I know the tv show has jumbled things and changed a few bits from the books but this season looks like it will be the one that will shock everyone loads more than the red wedding. At least one character is going to get their comeuppance big time possibly two.

The episode was good, standard has been set very high but I think they need to do 15 episodes per series from now as there is so much going on

I've always thought that Bran and Daenerys are the bulletproof characters as their stories seem destined to collide at the end. I'd be very surprised to see Jon Snow, Tyrion and Arya shuffle off anytime soon either. GRRM does leave you in doubt though which I really like.
  • Carter said:

I know the tv show has jumbled things and changed a few bits from the books but this season looks like it will be the one that will shock everyone loads more than the red wedding. At least one character is going to get their comeuppance big time possibly two.

Mmm I have read the books and I can only think of one, mind you by this stage I was beginning to find the books tedious.

I am quite interested in how the TV is going to develop away from the books and how big these deviances are. The two that come to mind so far are not very significant, although one closes down a future plot thread for George Martin
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:

I've always thought that Bran and Daenerys are the bulletproof characters as their stories seem destined to collide at the end. I'd be very surprised to see Jon Snow, Tyrion and Arya shuffle off anytime soon either. GRRM does leave you in doubt though which I really like.
    The series is now starting to deviate from the book quite heavily (i'm reading after watching and am roughly in line with the TV show.)

People are being killed ealy in the TV series or continuing on when they should be dead... so i'm a bit confused!
  • colthe3rd said:

Sky realising they've fucked up.

Eh?
  • Kap10 said:

Carter said:

Mmm I have read the books and I can only think of one, mind you by this stage I was beginning to find the books tedious.

I am quite interested in how the TV is going to develop away from the books and how big these deviances are. The two that come to mind so far are not very significant, although one closes down a future plot thread for George Martin
    I don't want to spoil it for the illiterates who haven't read the books (joke before anyone starts) but one im thinking happens at the end of the last book and the other is because the sparrows have turned up in Kings landing
  • the dubbing from behind or below characters is absolutely shocking so far. Its only minor but it's really bugging me.
  • Just watched episode 2. Things are moving a bit too slowly for my liking. I feel the North is the place to be this season as that is where most of the important development has taken place.
  • Fiiish said:

Just watched episode 2. Things are moving a bit too slowly for my liking. I feel the North is the place to be this season as that is where most of the important development has taken place.

In fairness, if I'm remembering correctly (read the books, but a while ago) this is about the point Martin really started spinning his wheels in the novels as well, spending a long time going nowhere fast. I know the show is not totally beholden to the books but unfortunately the slow pace is probably here to stay unless they've done a LOT of pruning.
  • EastStand said:

WSS said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

JWADDICK said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

No other author...
    Not true. For anyone who has read the books and is looking for something similar try these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

It's GoT for grown ups ;)
    Only read the first one, but personally thought it was dreadful although I know a lot of people love the series.

I've tried a lot of fantasy series. TBH, most are dreadfully written including GOT 4 and 5. Only author I've enjoyed recently is Joe Abercrombie.
  • Carter said:

Kap10 said:

Carter said:

I don't want to spoil it for the illiterates who haven't read the books (joke before anyone starts) but one im thinking happens at the end of the last book and the other is because the sparrows have turned up in Kings landing
    Who're the sparrows?
  • They are a religious sect, cersei's cousin lancel is one of them
  • Carter said:

Kap10 said:

Carter said:

I was thinking of someone who appeared with some one we thought was dead and is now a lead character but infact never reappeared again and someone else at the Red wedding who was not there and their appearance at the red wedding means that a potential thread cannot happen.