Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carl Zeiss Jena v Union Berlin "B" Match Thread :-)

13»

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Just catching up on this. What a fantastic adventure and gesture. Well done to @GlassHalfFull and @PragueAddick. Very interesting.

• Many thanks, CA. Prague has mentioned on another thread that the Trust will be publishing an article of his today, and I hope to have something for CL in the next day or two.
  • You're an amazing fella GHF you deserve all the plaudits that come your way. Well down to you Prague as well, a couple of genuine good guys.
  • Right, here is the article on what we learnt about RD's involvement at Jena. Some fascinating lessons we learnt there. Enjoy.
  • Very interesting Prague, thanks. Would love to hear news of any follow up about RDs reaction to your visit and the letter from @GlassHalfFull
  • Good article PA

• Late news from Jena - this afternoon's eagerly awaited Thuringia [State] Cup Final due to be played at the Ernst Abbe Sportfeld has been called off because of torrential rain in recent days. A pitch inspection this morning deemed the match unplayable, agreed by all parties as the only decision.

The match was scheduled for a five o'clock k.o. because in recent times the club has had no floodlights. The awesome 70m pylons were taken down by order of City Hall, because in their opinion over the years persistent flooding in the low-lying valley floor had rendered the lights' foundations unstable and consequently these mighty structures potentially hazardous. In iconic terms akin to closing the East Terrace ....

Re-arranged date for the Final t.b.a.
  • And there was me thinking/ hoping you were going to say you'd had a response from RD to your lovely letter...

Shame about the floodlights, though - we used to have some like that too....

• No, I'm afraid that so far silence is Belgian ....

There has been a bit of Jena action in the last few days. I'd heard very little and was getting worried that our beautiful friendship might be no more than a one-afternoon stand. However, I had a request from one of the lads for a pennant. Regrettably we don't do them so I bowled round to The Valley on Tuesday and bought a scarf. I've also got them a copy of Rick's book signed by The Man Himself to learn 'em how to deal with the schmucks in City Hall. Well, just the job, it seems - His Worship GHF is now in line for Lord Mayor !!

In return they've very kindly promised me a couple of their special-issue T-shirts "Meine Stadt - Meine Liebe - Mein Verein" (my city/my love/my club).

FCC's lights were absolute beasts. Our BTTV lights were so handsome - it was a great shame they went (found missing just after Gillingham had visited ....).

• Late news from Jena - this afternoon's eagerly awaited Thuringia [State] Cup Final due to be played at the Ernst Abbe Sportfeld has been called off because of torrential rain in recent days. A pitch inspection this morning deemed the match unplayable, agreed by all parties as the only decision.

But it was dry land when you were there, wasn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• The weather's been foul here and Jena got the same. Bloody cold, howling gales, rain turning to snow and smartasses like me put their summer tyres on already. Freezing nights forecast throughout Easter, have to go and put plastic bags over my precious fruit bushes. Grrr.