Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2009/10 League One top scorers

That was the season we finished 4th under Parky and crashed out of the playoffs, but looking at the top scorers that season, there was some serious talent in L1 up against us, players who have succeeded in the PL and even played for England.

1 Rickie Lambert Southampton 30
2 Billy Paynter Swindon Town 26
3 Jermaine Beckford Leeds United 25
4 Lee Barnard Southampton/Southend Utd 24
Grant Holt Norwich City 24
6 Steve Morison Millwall 21
7 Charlie Austin Swindon Town 20
8 Jordan Rhodes Huddersfield Town 19
9 Chris Martin Norwich City 17
10 Ian Harte Carlisle United 16

Lambert may be on the fringes at Liverpool but has had a fine career, Holt had a great 1st season in the top flight, Morison got to play in the PL with Norwich, while Charlie Austin looks like being a PL scorer for years to come.

Looking at some of the others, Jordan Rhodes will move to the PL eventually, while Chris Martin looks likely to get promoted with Derby this season.

Imagine if our team had a Holt or Austin that season instead of David Mooney...

Comments

• Charlton never find the prolific goalscorers.
  • I give you Derek Hales.
  • David Whyte, Whyte, Whyte

It does seem that 2009/10 had a vintage crop of strikers, players who would go on to play at a much higher level, most of which were either youngsters or lower division players at the time, and completely within our budget...
    Charlie Austin, signed from Poole
    Grant Holt, signed from Shrewsbury
    Jermaine Beckford, signed from Wealdstone
  • Swisdom said:

Chris Dickson

Stuart Fleetwood
  • Swisdom said:

Chris Dickson

Stuart Fleetwood
    Izale McLeod
  • Southampton had the top scorer and a +38 GD, yet still finished outside the play off positions.
  • correct me if im wrong but Paynter would be the only one not to play for a team in the top flight, if as expected - derby get promoted (chris martin) and jordan rhodes ends up there at some point. Shows the calibre in lower leagues
  • edited January 2015
    That saints side had Lallana, Fonte, Puncheon, Schneiderlin, and Oxlade-Chamberlin

But we had 2 Sodje's.

• Sponsored links:

• That saints side had Lallana, Fonte, Puncheon, Schneiderlin, and Oxlade-Chamberlin

But we had 2 Sodje's.

Obviously a fix.
  • Southampton had the top scorer and a +38 GD, yet still finished outside the play off positions.

Wasn't that because they started the season with a ten point deduction?
  • Crazy the amount of goals that Ian Harte got... Must be one of the most under-rated set piece takers around
  • Maybe not in the striker department but we had our fair share of talent aswell who would grace the premiership, don't forget Shelvey and.....

Anyway!

I think we still would've finished above them if they started on zero points, although they did win the JPT, well done Pardew!

Jermaine Defoe
  • PL54 said:

Charlton never find the prolific goalscorers.

Jermaine Defoe
    Look at his record, very overrated.
  • David Whyte, Whyte, Whyte

one season, god rest him. Clive and D Bent are the only goal scorers of note from my 20 years of going
  • Don't think there'll be a league one as strong as that season in a hurry. Norwich, Leeds, Millwall, Charlton and Southampton all there
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:

David Whyte, Whyte, Whyte

one season, god rest him. Clive and D Bent are the only goal scorers of note from my 20 years of going
    Whyte was a proper goalscorer. Andy Hunt was also a proper goalscorer, and to be fair Jason Euell's three consecutive seasons of 12 odd goals in the prem from midfield deserve a mention.
  • Don't forget BWP his goals were vital in us getting out of L1
  • Lallana scored against us when we played southampton at the valley

That's Pardew for you.

BWP in 2012 in the same division.

Amazed that Ian Harte got that many goals. Lots of free kicks and penalties if I remember rightly. It was a particularly strong division that year. Awful, awful football though and I hope we never return.
  • Just highlights what a very commendable job Parky did that year.

For some reason I watched the whole play off semi at the Valley vs Swindon the other day on YouTube and felt a warmth towards Phil. He really tried.
  • edited January 2015

Just highlights what a very commendable job Parky did that year.

For some reason I watched the whole play off semi at the Valley vs Swindon the other day on YouTube and felt a warmth towards Phil. He really tried.

Yes, in retrospect that was one hell of a L1 that season. Looking at this season's L1 top scorers
    Eoin Doyle Chesterfield 18
    Andy Williams Swindon Town 17
    Jonathan Forte Oldham Athletic 13

It'll be interesting to see if any of them play in the PL!
  • wmcf123 said:

David Whyte, Whyte, Whyte

I'd put Andy Hunt in that category. He was the leagues top scorer in 99/00 season.

Fair point, I'd managed to forget that part.

I think we still would've finished above them if they started on zero points, although they did win the JPT, well done Pardew!
    Just checked and I was right!

4 Charlton Athletic 46 23 15 8 71 48 +23 84
    7 Southampton 46 23 14 9 85 47 +38 73*

*Southampton deducted 10 points.