Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Budapest

Charlton hombres,

Booked a long weekend in Budapest in February for me and the missus. Staying in district vii.

Am aware of he tourist attractions so I'm looking for some good boozers/ clubs and restaurants to go to.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Lancelots is a great restaurant, like a medieval feast where you eat with your hands and drink local lager which is very good. Cheap as chips too,

Very highly recommended
  • Boom said:

Charlton hombres,

Booked a long weekend in Budapest in February for me and the missus. Staying in district vii.

Am aware of he tourist attractions so I'm looking for some good boozers/ clubs and restaurants to go to.

Any recommendations?

Yes don't go. It's a stinking flea ridden cess pit of a place......

Seriously, it's a great place. I really enjoyed it when I went a few years ago. Can't remember the names of any of the places we ate though.
  • edited January 2015
    Maybe you could go and watch Loic Nego at Ujpest.
  • The 'ruin' bars have a good atmosphere
  • I'm going next weekend. If I remember anything I'll let you know :-)
  • Anyone seen the film the hotel grand Budapest?
  • Dave2l said:

Anyone seen the film the hotel grand Budapest?

Yes. Very unconventional style. Very funny in places. Ralph Fiennes is terrific. The hotel itself is amazing. Thoroughly enjoyed it although its not on my 'list' of must-see-again films.
  • Have been to Budapest once (to see the F1 Grand Prix) some years ago. Avoid the central square - can't remember its name - for eating/drinking. Good for sightseeing but prices are extortionate. Walk 500 metres further out and prices plummet. Like any tourist area in any city I guess.
  • cafc-west said:

Dave2l said:

Anyone seen the film the hotel grand Budapest?

Yes. Very unconventional style. Very funny in places. Ralph Fiennes is terrific. The hotel itself is amazing. Thoroughly enjoyed it although its not on my 'list' of must-see-again films.
    Ralph Fiennes was fantastic in it. A strange amount of Hollywood in the film.
  • The 'ruin' bars have a good atmosphere

Agree. The best one I can remember is szimpla.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe you could go and watch Loic Nego at Ujpest.

He's only played 6 games since we sent him out on loan in August, so presumably they think he's crap as well.

"Hi Roland, it's the head coach at Alcorcon here. We've got a bit of an injury crisis here, I desperately need a new goalkeeper."

"Ok, I'll send you Loic Nego. He's a right back, but I'm sure he can pick up the goalkeeping stuff without too much difficulty. Bye!"

Back on thread, my ex went to Budapest in February a couple of years ago, said it was lovely but cold, have a good time!
  • Amigo Bar - rock n roll baby...
  • MrLargo said:

Maybe you could go and watch Loic Nego at Ujpest.

He's only played 6 games since we sent him out on loan in August, so presumably they think he's crap as well.

"Hi Roland, it's the head coach at Alcorcon here. We've got a bit of an injury crisis here, I desperately need a new goalkeeper."

"Ok, I'll send you Loic Nego. He's a right back, but I'm sure he can pick up the goalkeeping stuff without too much difficulty. Bye!"

Back on thread, my ex went to Budapest in February a couple of years ago, said it was lovely but cold, have a good time!
    They would be better if if he offered Nego as a goalkeeper rather than Thuram.
  • Cheers chaps!

PBS - I had the Szimpla bar down as one to go to
  • Brilliant place!

Defo go to the ruin pubs:

szimpla.hu/en Szimpla Kert

Kerplung - only has a facebook page

elesztohaz.hu/index-en.php Elesztohaz

Some amazing restaurants:
    http://bockbisztropest.hu/en/ Bock Bistro
    http://www.borkonyha.hu/?lang=eng Borkonyha Wine Kitchen

Plus - the Thermal baths - there are 2 main ones - we went to this one http://www.szechenyifurdo.hu/ the outside spa is awesome. with a little rapid! we went in March and it wasn't too packed - it was bloody freezing outside of the pool but beautiful sunny day. It's a must do. even in the rain.

Also, if you like rock and roll, a great pub called Amigo Rock and Roll bar - we stumbled across it, but these young people were playing some great tunes, and loads of people were doing the jive. the lead singer got on his piano and all sorts. great find! amigobar.hu/
  • sorry some of those have been mentioned above - i started writing that post at 9.40 and only just got around to finishing it!
  • Thanks sausage
  • Get yourself a travel pass for the buses and trams. Really cheap and makes it easier to get around. Old trams are fantastic.

Good time to be going. The exchange rate hit 410 forints to the pound today. Was 298 'the last time I was there!
  • oh yeah, in a bar before one of those restaurants we had a pint and a glass of wine for a grand total of £1.38. Nice.

• edited January 2015
    as suzisausage says a visit to a spa is a must.
    i think the one she linked is the one we went to (it has chess boards in one of the pools). thought it would be a bit too touristy and wouldnt be my thing but really enjoyed it.
    as well as the outdoor pools there are probably more than a dozen indoor pools at different temperatures from ice baths to steam rooms containing all kinds of minerals etc. the sulphur smell is a little off putting but ok once you get used to it.
    didnt think much of the small 'zoo' on magarit island.
  • Sponsored links:

• I liked the communist pizzeria if it's still there. Apart from that, the Szechenyi Baths but that's on your tourist list I guess.

One thing that was interesting that I hadn't seen before was on leaving a city centre bar not too late at night, was a young lady kneeling pleasuring an older man sitting on a bench.

Shame Budapest is a a terrible song by George Ezra
  • That platter is crazy!
  • edited June 2018

That platter is crazy!

That's why you'll rarely see a Hungarian who looks like he is in need of a good dinner - my stamp is evidence enough of that!
  • edited June 2018
    glad you all enjoyed it @The Organiser . been a few times myself. love the place. have to say i agree with you, it's probably my favourite city I've ever been to. all being well I'm going back there next year so thanks for some extra tips/things to look out for.

another thread on it here: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/76457/budapest-any-good-for-a-weekend-away/p1
  • That platter is crazy!

It was insane - under all the meat was copious amounts of potato and veg. I think you'd need 4 eating machine units to polish that off, esp when you've got 2-pint ceramic pots of beer to accompany it.

The meat was 'fall of the bone' quality too, which was the most surprising bit. It contained - 1/2 a chicken, pork knuckle, Chicken and chorizo skewers, beef tenderloin strips, duck, lamb, goose, Pike, Boiled potatoes, Jacket Potatoes, Potato Rosati's, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Corn on the Cob, Mushrooms, Blood Oranges.
  • glad you all enjoyed it @The Organiser . been a few times myself. love the place. have to say i agree with you, it's probably my favourite city I've ever been to. all being well I'm going back there next year so thanks for some extra tips/things to look out for.

another thread on it here: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/76457/budapest-any-good-for-a-weekend-away/p1

I'll add my post to that one too - thanks.