Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE The end of the beginning, time for early judgement.

No apologies after last nights win at Norwich City to go a bit Chuchillian in the title, but it seems appropriate that after twelve games, two in the League Cup and ten in the league, that we can make some kind of early assessment. In the league we have had a neat five at home and five away and we are close to a quarter of the season gone so can we conclude anything?

If we were to talk in GCSE terms then it has to be an 'A', could so easily have been an 'A*' with two more points on the board, however given the newness of it all we have made an excellent start. I posted before, that with all of the rather bewildering changes at the club the easiest thing to focus on are the results, and on that measure they have been terrific.

We have only lost one (cup) game, and that to a very good team in the last minute when the referee's knowledge of the more obscure laws of football was better than ours (read the book management and players if you want to handle the referees better!), we have kept four clean sheets, scored just over one goal per game, and conceded just under one goal per game. One outstanding feature of our start is that we are certainly here on business, and Gorgeous George would say, 'results, points, points, results' and Bob and the players have certainly delivered on that front.

We have a defined style too. We are relaxed and focussed when not in possession, and seem to have faith in possession that we can pass it from player to player with very few mistakes. The players seem to trust each other which is a sign of good coaching. We hardly ever play the long ball, and the possession stats are not as high on our list of priorities as wins and points, it seems that all of the opposition who come away from playing us asking 'how did we lose that?' are missing the point. Our results have not been down to luck, it is up to the opposition to finish their chances and dominate us, we have not been dominated enough, and I am learning to be relaxed when opponents have the ball, and hopeful we might do something good when we have it. Our team play and organization have been an outstanding feature of the season so far, in defence we have been pretty awesome, and at our best we can also be unplayable...I give you the start of the Derby County home game as an example of what we are now capable of, and as an example of football so pure it was like looking at a computer game.

All has been achieved with a new look team who have still to develop the telepathic understanding that really successful teams get.

Bob Peeters has faced a lot of challenges regarding personnel and his handling of the players has been very good indeed. Lets consider what he has had to deal with.
Firstly the Chris Solly/Joe Gomez situation. A perfect policy it seems to me by conserving Chris Solly and the introduction of the barely out of nappies Gomez, with Lawrie Wilson (mom against Norwich...he played three different positions in that game?) to fill in, he has that sorted.
In goal Bob has managed the loss of Henderson early on well, and Pope has enhanced rather than damaged his standing in his cameos. The situation with Michael Morrison is more tricky, Bob and I suspect Michael, can see it is impossible to split up TBH and Bikey, so Bob has the delicate task of keeping a jolly good player happy and focussed, he has that challenge with Morgan Fox too, and also the too much maligned Simon Church.
Midfield had been as big a challenge in terms of marshalling resources. Jacko is not as sprightly as one would like, but there is certainly an argument that Jacko adds more than he subtracts. Jacko has the experience to impart, he is always one of our most accurate passers of the ball, as captain he is excellent, and when Jacko does decide to score, they are nearly always significant goals. Jacko puts in a big shift for the team, but it can lead to a booking in his case. So that all leaves Jordan Cousins having had to operate very unselfishly wide left. Bob, and everybody actually, can see that Jordan is better used inside but in managing that aspect of midfield I think he has got it just about right so far, and Jordan deserves a hearty clap on the back for his attitude. Yoni has made a great start, but he may be one of the more inconsistent, (whisper this) and one of the least fit players, certainly when we had Diego Poyet being the fittest player on the field at the end of matches last season, we don't see that kind of thing from Yoni, but my goodness he has a brain, and takes a mean penalty. We have mixed and matched other midfield options, Johan has yet to make a consistent statement, and with Moussa, Bulot, Harriott et al the midfield is either cleverly fluid, or still a work in progress.
Up front Igor has been unarguably a success, not only for his goals, but defenders can't take their eyes off him for a minute, he has yet to combine successfully with the right partner. Joe Piggott, George, sometimes Callum sometimes Moussa and maybe now Bulot have not yet clicked into place with Igor, and not getting Delort or any mystery front men in may be a frustration to Bob, but he has played the hand he has got very well, and the recent arrival of Aherne Grant on the scene may work out. It is a good feature in my view to encourage the young players, and Bob seems to be prepared to do that with relish.

We have been coached and managed very well so far this season, and I was a sceptic before, but Big Bob has my 100% support now for what it's worth!

Looking wider the new pitch has been a big help for our style, although pitches around the league will deteriorate as the season progresses. Our fitness seems to be a bit meh, and we may struggle significantly when injuries and suspensions kick in. I would also caution against dodgy temperament cropping up here and there because a cool focus seems to be what will bring us the most success.

We are undefeated in our first ten matches, exceeding the expectations of most, great first album, but as we enter the Autumn we need an equally good follow up second album. I still think the squad is fragile and it would be great if RD could find his way to helping out with some more resources.

Comments

• This is where the commercial logic of the situation defeats me. We have started really well and taken on most of the leading teams. In any normal business this would be the time to think about investment to consolidate and grow the business.
    unfortunately this can only at this point mean loans, which are not ideal.

However,if the right players could be found in the striker and central midfield positions then this would be the time to bring them in. Continued success would guarantee higher crowds, more tv time and increased value of the players. Waiting four months until January risks losing momentum.

Come on RD, now is the time.
  • Excellent start so far and only another 32 points needed to keep us safe. That is the first objective and after that then we can sit back and look at the next step. (Top half finish)

If M.Roly wants to push the club onwards and upwards on the pitch then he's needs to help Peeters in that regard. Only 10 games into a 46 game season and the squad looks threadbare when the likes of Solly, Gudmundsson and Tucudean were not in the 18 last night.

3 more players that are as good or better into that squad as soon as posslble. One or two injuries to key players will slow the momentum.
  • thanks Seth, good article.
    I have only seen the Huddersfield and Watford games and have been a little frustrated by the lack of possession, but now I understand that possession doesn't always win matches - ask Norwich.
  • Interesting read Seth. We have made a far better start than many of us (myself included) dared to hope for. However, the squad is small, and it only needs a couple more injuries to show that up. If RD is really serious about Charlton, I think he would be encouraging loans that could possibly become permanent signings in time. January is far too late, in my opinion, if he really wants us to be up there.
  • shirty5 said:

Excellent start so far and only another 32 points needed to keep us safe. That is the first objective and after that then we can sit back and look at the next step. (Top half finish).

The Curbishley spirit lives on

• Enjoyed reading that, Seth.
  • shirty5 said:

Excellent start so far and only another 32 points needed to keep us safe. That is the first objective and after that then we can sit back and look at the next step. (Top half finish).

Praps, but then again a pessimist is never disappointed.
  • shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

Praps, but then again a pessimist is never disappointed.
    Come with the territory supporting Charlton mate.

• Sponsored links:

• Its a very difficult league with challenging opponents that are all drooling for premier-league status like hungry wolves.

We are coping VERY well with it.
  • Great analysis Seth. Personally I am over the moon with everything that has happened over the last 6 months, both on and off the pitch. If we stick to the football, I agree with most of the above points. We have a game plan and it is working well. The only thing I am unsure of, is the amount of pressure we have absorbed and possession given to Watford, Wolves & Norwich. Only because in these games, it has been a case of very fine margins. Obviously these are what ifs, but on another day these may go against us.

I'm not sure we'll still be up there come May, but I think we've definitely got the right foundations in place for future seasons
  • Dave2l said:

Its a very difficult league with challenging opponents that are all drooling for premier-league status like hungry wolves.

We are coping VERY well with it.

Jackett has placed an order for tie on bibs after reading that, Dave.

• Im looking forward to Saturday. Haven't said that for a few years so all good for me. Couple of players short, probably Kermongant and Poyet. However, baby steps and we will succeed.
  • What if RD does an Ashley and sells the best players to recoup losses? There are a lot of positives but I want to assess more fully in Feb, I am almost too scared to get excited, sorry.
  • What if RD does an Ashley and sells the best players to recoup losses? There are a lot of positives but I want to assess more fully in Feb, I am almost too scared to get excited, sorry.

I'm sure he will sell players if we get a good offer. Hopefully when we do we can get the sort of money other clubs do rather than having to sell for £1m or so just to keep the club going.

The answer will then probably be to bring in cheaper replacements and more academy players and develop them.
  • It appears that RD's short term ambition (as passed on by the CAFC management) is to achieve with the current team the security of a mid-table position. However, it has been said, that if promotion becomes a realistic possibility, resources will be made available.
    Problem is, as long as the table remains tight as it is, he will probably stick to plan A. At least if we can maintain our league position, and other front runners start falling away, we should expect plan B to put into action. Another 10 games? That conveniently takes us to the away game with Forest at beginning of December. I'm grey already. What happens next? Does my hair fall out!!
  • I said give it ten games and let's see where we are then. I don't think anyone could argue that we aren't in a hugely better place than we have been for a long time. It's good enough for me and my post Welling panic was not justified. Now pass me the humble pie...
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't argue with the results and I am very grateful for them but, personally, I haven't found it particularly exciting or pleasant to watch - particularly when we spend ages playing possession football back and sideways and back and sideways only to boot it long. Nail-biting as we hang on for a draw or a hang on to a slender lead is about the limit of the emotions. I still think we've been lucky so far and I worry about luck - it has a nasty habit of running out and, despite what people say about 'making your luck' it is more capricious than that.
  • Impressed with what BP has done so far. Defensive organisation and a short passing game with the emphasis on retaining possession, the obvious characteristics. His signings have also been very good.

This is however very early in the piece. Everyone needs to stay patient while he adds to the squad, refines the style of play to make us more effective as we play into the last third and improves his tactical knowledge of all of the teams in the league. The platform is being established to push on and challenge for the top places, possibly next season.
  • RD has given Peeters some good players and he has established the foundations. He's done it far quicker than I imagined he would.

Bob is impossible to dislike. He is a decent coach and is excellent when speaking to the press - I've never attended a QandA at any of the supporters groups, but the day Bromley or someone gets him to attend I'll definitely break that duck.

Said it on the post match comments last night, the ball is now firmly back in RD's court. Back Bob now and at the very least get someone in to support Igor and we could really push on.
  • Good, balanced, article Seth. Thanks.
  • A really good analysis Seth, thank you.

Very interesting point by Weegie Addick as well - re not being ready in 1998 and the potential merits of yo-yoing for a while. In arguably the toughest ever Championship and with our recent history of struggle and strife, it's so easy to accept we could not possibly compete at a higher level, so let's just consolidate, be thankful for small mercies, accept that we are punching above our weight, small budget, happy with bottom half finish, blah. But I just look at our Nigelly neighbours and think how close we were to them in 2012/13 - with a clearly much weaker squad than now - and actually they're making quite a decent fist of it, aren't they? As much as it pains me to admit it (reaches for coat).

Go for it? Why the hell not.
  • edited October 2014
    AshBurton said:

A really good analysis Seth, thank you.

Very interesting point by Weegie Addick as well - re not being ready in 1998 and the potential merits of yo-yoing for a while. In arguably the toughest ever Championship and with our recent history of struggle and strife, it's so easy to accept we could not possibly compete at a higher level, so let's just consolidate, be thankful for small mercies, accept that we are punching above our weight, small budget, happy with bottom half finish, blah. But I just look at our Nigelly neighbours and think how close we were to them in 2012/13 - with a clearly much weaker squad than now - and actually they're making quite a decent fist of it, aren't they? As much as it pains me to admit it (reaches for coat).

Go for it? Why the hell not.

Aim to move forward or go backwards, but we are in the classic Championship dilemma.

It's interesting to note how attached we are as fans to the idea that the manager / head coach chooses the new players, even when the chief executive goes on the record saying he doesn't ("he has an input"). I do it too, since I find the idea it is done by someone else with no football background bizarre. No doubt the truth is somewhere in the middle.
  • I am a massive fan of RD and Bob I can't think it could have gone much better with all the changes. However it will be interesting to see how we perform against the other teams when we play them again. This will be the true test of Bob and the team.
  • I am very excited by the way BBB carries himself and the team. I am nearly wetting myself over the results and the fact we still have a "0" in the L box, but BBB is still as cool as a cucumber. Nice piece Seth. In BBB I trust. COYR!
  • edited October 2014
    Scoham said:

What if RD does an Ashley and sells the best players to recoup losses? There are a lot of positives but I want to assess more fully in Feb, I am almost too scared to get excited, sorry.

I'm sure he will sell players if we get a good offer. Hopefully when we do we can get the sort of money other clubs do rather than having to sell for £1m or so just to keep the club going.

The answer will then probably be to bring in cheaper replacements and more academy players and develop them.
    But how will that increase our chances of promotion? Do we just wait to get lucky one year? I'm loving Bob as HC and Jacko as skip, they are a fighting outfit. We do have a good opening chapter to our new book and that is more than I had imagined' possible a year ago. As to the middle chapters, I guess it's wait and see.
  • Nadou said:

Can't argue with the results and I am very grateful for them but, personally, I haven't found it particularly exciting or pleasant to watch - particularly when we spend ages playing possession football back and sideways and back and sideways only to boot it long. Nail-biting as we hang on for a draw or a hang on to a slender lead is about the limit of the emotions. I still think we've been lucky so far and I worry about luck - it has a nasty habit of running out and, despite what people say about 'making your luck' it is more capricious than that.

whilst we do tend to back off when putting ourselves in front, we've probably seen more completed passes in these 10 games than in any other 10 game spell in the last 5 seasons, plus we seem to be a bit more savvy in posession going forward at times, rather than just lumping it up to a target. Personally I find that more pleasant to watch.