Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Russell slade resigns

Looks like he's off to Cardiff then!

Comments

• Is resigning a way for Cardiff to not have to pay compensation to Orient and if so can their owner refuse to accept it
  • They won't let him talk to them.
  • Thought he was given a must win the next game or out the door ultimatum anyway, given that I'd be moving on as soon as possible if it was me !!
  • Would've been a great job for Powell.
  • Can't blame him. Orient have shown very little loyalty to him. He's done a good job down there and although they have started a little slowly they are only 4 points off the playoffs so to be given an ultimatum so early in the season off the back of several relatively successful seasons was poor form imo.

New owners there, probably got someone in mind from abroad, who they think will do a better job...
  • How much notice period does he have to give?
  • Can't blame him. Orient have shown very little loyalty to him. He's done a good job down there and although they have started a little slowly they are only 4 points off the playoffs so to be given an ultimatum so early in the season off the back of several relatively successful seasons was poor form imo.

New owners there, probably got someone in mind from abroad, who they think will do a better job...
    In other words, we do not think you are good enough and we may sack you, but meanwhile we are not letting you go to another club that wants you. Just pure bl---y mindness
  • This time last week Orient were about to sack him. They can't have it both ways.
  • ross1 said:

Can't blame him. Orient have shown very little loyalty to him. He's done a good job down there and although they have started a little slowly they are only 4 points off the playoffs so to be given an ultimatum so early in the season off the back of several relatively successful seasons was poor form imo.

In other words, we do not think you are good enough and we may sack you, but meanwhile we are not letting you go to another club that wants you. Just pure bl---y mindness
    This.

Slade may have done himself out of a pay-off or golden handshake or whatever by quitting so fair play to him for sticking two fingers up to them, although its certainly easier to do that when another opportunity appears to be in front of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would've been a great job for Powell.

I thought that some days ago when I posted it and people asked why
  • Good honest loyal manager I'm sure he's had a fair few offers in the last few years but stayed true so good he's walked as they were about to dump him anyway
    Jumped before he was pushed
  • TBH, this all doesnt sound right to me.
    Ok he got Orient to play offs last year, but his past isnt exactly glittering !
    call me a cynic, but could there maybe be a bit of collusion here ?....
    Orient chairman wants to get shot of him, but doesnt want to pay compo...Orient chairman rings his mate at Cardiff, asks him to circulate that they want him as their new manager, Orient then supposedly wont let him speak to Cardiff, therefore Slade resigns thinking he's got the job at Cardiff, only for Cardiff to suddenly decide they didnt want him after all. Therefore no job, and no compo from Orient.

After all, would you be happy if we were to find out the Slade was first in the line to become Charlton manager (should there be a vacancy). I certainly wouldnt.
  • edited September 2014

A pre-match pep talk from the owner of Leyton Orient. At least I think that's what it's called. #sufc #twitterblades pic.twitter.com/bZQPgT4t8Z

— James Shield (@JamesShield1) September 23, 2014

• This time last week Orient were about to sack him. They can't have it both ways.

I think they can. A contract is a contract.
  • edited September 2014
    I would have thought that as this was revealed to the public as a last chance, that Slade would be able to argue the case for constructive dismissal, and intolerable pressure.

Once the company has issued an ultimatum as they have, how can they then make a case for loyalty from the manager and argue for breech of contract. They've rather shot themselves in the foot, and lost the moral high ground as it would seem unreasonable to enforce a contract that they themselves were willing to break. It may come down to a bit of compo.
  • Halix said:

I would have thought that as this was revealed to the public as a last chance, that Slade would be able to argue the case for constructive dismissal, and intolerable pressure.

Once the company has issued an ultimatum as they have, how can they then make a case for loyalty from the manager and argue for breech of contract. They've rather shot themselves in the foot, and lost the moral high ground as it would seem unreasonable to enforce a contract that they themselves were willing to break. It may come down to a bit of compo.

It always comes down to money!
  • Got a couple of mates who are Orient season ticket holders and they feel the treatment of Slade has been out of order. Apparently they've played fairly well despite a poor start and in the time he's been there they have improved significantly as a team.

If my boss was giving me ultimatums like that I'd be looking for another job too. Don't blame him at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• it must be Lisbie's fault.

it always was when he was at Charlton!
  • Barry Hearn did a great job of nursemaiding Orient through turbulent times .. as soon as he sells up - no doubt for a good few pounds into the Matchroom coffers - it takes the new owner two months or so to undo years of hard work and careful management ..
    I bumped into a few Os fans on Doncaster station on Saturday, they were pretty unanimous that the club was destined to go through some hard/strange times under the new regime. Personally I hope not, I have a soft spot for a nice little corner shop club.
    As for Slade, he dropped Grimsby into the mire a few years back. He'll have his work cut right out IF he becomes the new manager at Cardiff, another foreign owned headcase of a club
  • Cardiff fans don't seem too pleased by this - expected a bigger name?

Relations clearly broken and so he has walked away (not for the first time..)
  • How can Slade be first choice ? - he has done bugger all ! - no wonder Cardiff fans are miffed.
  • How can Slade be first choice ? - he has done bugger all ! - no wonder Cardiff fans are miffed.

Born on the 10th.
  • he is currently a consultant until Cardiff and Orients dispute is over then they can hire him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29411719
  • oh well, one side we dont have to worry about his season.
  • edited October 2014
  • Is there any need for this from Tan?

“I ask that our supporters offer him a chance to prove his long-term value to our club, giving him and his players their full support as we try to earn our place in the Premier League under his guidance. Look at Russell’s track record. He certainly deserves to be given a chance. After all, Cardiff gave a chance to a mediocre manager from Watford and he took the club to the Premier League. I did however give him a lot of money to spend for that – in fact, too much money."