Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic legacy

The greatest part of the Olympic Games is that they always provide a magnificent legacy of sports stadiums which serve the general public for decades to come. Always. Without fail...

Athens Olympics, ten years on

Comments

• A sad but not unique story. I think South Korea/Japan, Portugal and South Africa have all got stadiums but for the World Cup and European Championships that are either completely abandoned or barely used.
  • very depressing seeing that
  • Sadly I think its been like that for a few years - heard reports about the stadia being abandoned before 2012.

• Don Valley stadium....all part of England's olympic legacy... despite having been our poster girl's home track its now gone.

Wasn't built for the 2012 games of course but wasn't the point that we were supposed to be inspiring a generation of athletes?
  • Was the Don Valley Stadium used in The Olympics?
  • edited September 2014
    Can I express my utter dismay that Horse riding has been sadly neglected in Greenwich Park as soon as the Olympic roadshow pulled out of town.
    Disgusted. Legacy my arse.
  • I flew out of city airport this morning and saw the work they're doing on the stadium. They might as well have knocked it down and started again. The roof, seats, track, grass have all gone. Still, at least they didn't flog it on the cheap..... Oh, hold on.
  • I flew out of city airport this morning and saw the work they're doing on the stadium. They might as well have knocked it down and started again. The roof, seats, track, grass have all gone. Still, at least they didn't flog it on the cheap..... Oh, hold on.

However, wasnt it built to be 'portable' to a certain degree? Also, i notice today when attempting to buy tickets, that it is going to be used for the Rugby World Cup next year - so, i hope they put the grass back by then.
  • Surely West Hams ground won't look like that in 10 years time?
  • Surely West Hams ground won't look like that in 10 years time?

Couple of cup games against Millwall and you might not be far off....
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014
    In 1000 years time, these places will be an archeologists dream. That's the legacy.
  • Luckily the UK Olympic legacy is much healthier...
  • who cares about a legacy? - it was a festival of sport and I for one am glad we spent the money on ours.

Dont give a toss about the Athens games.
    The Greeks were/are all about waste.
    on a single decker bus you would have a driver, a conductor issuing a ticket and an inspector then coming over and checking your ticket. Only until they are 45 though, then retire on a full salary pension.

• MrOneLung said:

who cares about a legacy? - it was a festival of sport and I for one am glad we spent the money on ours.

on a single decker bus you would have a driver, a conductor issuing a ticket and an inspector then coming over and checking your ticket. Only until they are 45 though, then retire on a full salary pension.

But surely you don't want us to waste our Olympic stadia and facilities in the way the Greeks have done? If you do, you need to care about the legacy. Otherwise it gets hijacked by politicians like Johnson for their own ends, as has happened with the OS and West Ham. "Look, I've delivered a legacy! OK I made you stump up another £180m, but hey, I'm a visionary, not a detail man. What's that? Lewisham A&E? Look don't bore me with such minor issues…"
  • edited September 2014

MrOneLung said:

who cares about a legacy? - it was a festival of sport and I for one am glad we spent the money on ours.

But surely you don't want us to waste our Olympic stadia and facilities in the way the Greeks have done? If you do, you need to care about the legacy. Otherwise it gets hijacked by politicians like Johnson for their own ends, as has happened with the OS and West Ham. "Look, I've delivered a legacy! OK I made you stump up another £180m, but hey, I'm a visionary, not a detail man. What's that? Lewisham A&E? Look don't bore me with such minor issues…"
    Difference between London and quite a few other host cities is that we built temporary buildings or those which were designed to be down scaled (such as the swimming centre).

From these pics you can see that they built permanent structures.

• Rothko said:

Go Olympic Park now and you see the legacy working and being delivered, be it the Aquatics Centre, the Copper Box which is in constant use or the velodrome.

I know the stadium upsets a few, but its good fix for the issue of a big stadium like that, keeps it going financially and London retains a multiuse stadium, which it lacks

Don't disagree, but as you know the issue is not what the OS will be used for but how much (little) Lady Karren Brady (Con.)'s employers are contributing to the cost of making it suitable for them.
  • Luckily the UK Olympic legacy is much healthier...

I wasn't being sarcastic SR.

• I am still intrigued to know how the Don Valley Stadium is part of an Olympic legacy
  • PL54 said:

I am still intrigued to know how the Don Valley Stadium is part of an Olympic legacy

1991 Student Olympics.
  • Sponsored links:

• C_A_F_C said:

PL54 said:

I am still intrigued to know how the Don Valley Stadium is part of an Olympic legacy

1991 Student Olympics.
    I see - I worked at a concert there in about 92 or 93 - some big rock band I think.
  • edited September 2014
    Pretty much agree with Rothko re the Olympic park. And wasn't some of used by Glasgow in commonwealth games too?
  • The running track is retained in the Olympic stadium and was used a few weeks ago.
  • I think the track is retained until 2015 or 2016 when the World Athletics Championships are being held there then I think it gets torn up.
  • IAgree said:

The Don Valley Stadium was built for the world student games which has nothing to do with the Olympic movement.

Whenever the Olympics have been held on sites inside Cities and provide infrastructure that will be used, they have made money and left a legacy. Last time I went to that bit of London it looked like it was buzzing, thriving and transformed. The stadium is going to be used for many years to come.

I am amazed that some people are still knocking what was a memorable and successful event.

The event was fantastic. However, gifting the stadium to a football club is a disgrace.
  • IAgree said:

The Don Valley Stadium was built for the world student games which has nothing to do with the Olympic movement.

Whenever the Olympics have been held on sites inside Cities and provide infrastructure that will be used, they have made money and left a legacy. Last time I went to that bit of London it looked like it was buzzing, thriving and transformed. The stadium is going to be used for many years to come.

I am amazed that some people are still knocking what was a memorable and successful event.

The event was fantastic. However, gifting the stadium to a football club is a disgrace.
    I can see where you are coming from but I dont agree - it's going to be used all year and in the summer will be used as a venue - all good for that area. I have no problem with West Ham having it, although all three hammers obsessives I know are very sniffy!

• It's not been gifted to West Ham, really isn't
  • The London Olympic stadium was a cockup (it was designed to leave a permanent 25k athletics track with the rest removed) and is being completely rebuilt to produce a very poor football stadium, but the rest of the planning was very good, with many existing or temporary venues used, and those left behind being genuinely useful. It probably helps that the UK is more of an all round sporting nation than many of the other Olympic countries
  • Rothko said:

It's not been gifted to West Ham, really isn't

Justify that, please.

Don't forget to mention that

- their rent is reduced if they get relegated (but by how much, the taxpayers are not allowed to know)

- they keep ALL the revenue from the corporate hospitality

- the amount they contribute to the cost of the refit is about 10% of the total amount and a lot less than they are likely to get for Upton Park