Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Norway

Expected to be the lowest attendance at an England game ever at the new Wembley, which is understandable given what happened in Brazil. How many lifers will be going? I'll be there, I love watching England play but I'm going mainly because of the cap system that is in place which is 2 caps for an England home game and I think it's something like 12 caps will guarentee you a ticket for France 2016.

Although it will largely be a warm up for our first qualifying game against Switzerland on Monday, I'm still interested to see the team he plays. Particularly looking forward to seeing Sterling and Sturridge play for the first time live. Englands two hottest prospects at the moment and I'm glad I'll be getting my football fix while there is no Charlton to watch for 10 days or so.

Comments

• I love England and even im struggling to care about this one. Will defo be watching the Swiss game though, as i think a win will probably mean we've already qualified for Euro 2016!
  • I love England and even im struggling to care about this one. Will defo be watching the Swiss game though, as i think a win will probably mean we've already qualified for Euro 2016!

Totally agree. However tickets were only £20 when they first went on sale and i've been to a fair few England games but never as a member so I need to make sure I get some caps under my belt for the Euros as I think that tournament is going to be fantastic, just being on our doorstep etc.

I'm happy to have that Swiss game so soon, hopefully a win and people can start to forget how poor we were in the summer and start feeling positive about England again!
  • I don't think the reason is just the Brazil performance tbf - we're use to that crap.

Add stupid ticket prices and a membership that has completely alienated their core support and taken the piss something rotten.

Change to 2 caps for home games and 1 for away is absurd and has really worked in filling Wembley (Not!!)

A disgrace of a website not fit for purpose.

A lack/delay of announcements for ticket sales etc.

Attempting to Sell tickets for a game 7 months away (they embarrassingly had to back-track on that).

Desperately trying to flog tickets cheaper than what members had to pay.

Closing the top tier for Norway and moving people to the lower where the original occupants had to pay £10 for the privilege of sitting there.

A wrist slitting home game experience.

The away membership has dropped from 19k to 6.5k and that in a period that see us play the Sweaties and Paddies away for the first time in yonks and ends with a tournament on our doorstep - all of which would usually see a huge spike in membership.

Not doing Norway but will be in Switzerland Monday. Enjoy the game.

I'm not used to that at all! Brazil was a total shock for me, never did I think we wouldn't get out of the group, I was gutted beyond belief. England not getting out the group was alien to me completely.

I agree with you though, the website is a shambles as is the cap policy, to not reward those paying for flights, accomodation not to mention a ticket is an absololute disgrace. Also, to have to pay £75 to sign up for the Away Supporters Club is steep to say the least. I paid this hoping to get tickets for Estonia. Naturally, with no caps it wasn't going to happen but if I don't manage to get a ticket for any away game qualifier (I will apply for every game) I will demand a refund.

It is sad how the FA treat England supporters it really is. Credit to you for making the Switzerland trip though, England away is an experience I can't wait to enjoy.

• edited September 2014
    Well we didnt even qualify for 08 so that was worse.

And SA despite progressing further was worst than Brazil imo.

You'll get a ticket for Scotland away mate.

And San Marino too I would imagine (if not you can watch it from a hill behind the goal like loads did last time).

Shame that the venues are mainly small in this group but cracking places.

My advice would always be travel anyway. I've got in Montenegro away without a ticket before. You'll have a great time regardless.

I got lucky for Estonia but half our group didn't. But im sure the locals will be selling for a profit.

But don't rely on 12 caps being enough for France. They have not got a clue how many will be needed.

• What's complete and utter waste of time and it's really annoying for football fans too. Just as the season starts to gather a bit of momentum it's stopped for a football match that nobody gives a monkeys about.

There again it is the FA's decision and it's very rare that they do anything that involves common sense.
  • What's complete and utter waste of time and it's really annoying for football fans too. Just as the season starts to gather a bit of momentum it's stopped for a football match that nobody gives a monkeys about.

There again it is the FA's decision and it's very rare that they do anything that involves common sense.

Doesnt UEFA/FIFA give the FA dates that international friendlies can be played?

As we have the most important game of the Euro Qualification in 6 days then it probably makes sense to have a friendly against a similar style of side to Switzerland.
  • quite fancied going tomorrow night but then just can't be arsed with the journey home afterwards
  • Absolutely no atmosphere at Wembley so I'm not going to bother.

To be fair it could be the acoustics, can any north standers confirm?

Doesnt UEFA/FIFA give the FA dates that international friendlies can be played?

As we have the most important game of the Euro Qualification in 6 days then it probably makes sense to have a friendly against a similar style of side to Switzerland.
    Exactly. It would be a lot more stupid to go into the Switzlerand game having not played a match together since Brazil. Especially with a fair few players who havn't played for England before in the squad as well as a few senior players having retired.

quite fancied going tomorrow night but then just can't be arsed with the journey home afterwards

Only a tube and a 132 mate!
  • Sponsored links:

• Will be there trying to add to my caps total.

Was planning on doing all home games in qualifying but not going to bother now with that. Will do San Marino, Lithuania at home and maybe one more.

Off to Switzerland, Scotland, Ireland( hoping I get one) San Marino and maybe a friendly.

Hopefully 15/20 caps by France.
  • With prices set at between £30 and £60 in the non-family areas of the ground this friendly was always going to struggle to sell. The FA's communications for home and away games has completely bombed in this new Euros campaign - the new IT infrastruture in place is a total joke.

Loyally following the team is hard enough, but this is now being tested as the FA needlessly put more and more obstacles in front of even the most dedicated supporters.
  • The acoustics are not the best.

The infamous middle tier was the worst idea ever.

It's a sports arena not a football ground. You feel completely away from the action up in that top tier (the more affordable seats)

Ultimately though it's the people. It's just one big pantomime these day filled with family's, tourists and middle aged men with face paint and carrying cuddly toys.

The opposition (and lack of away support) and lack of importance on most games doesn't help.

When there is a big big game under the lights (like Poland last Oct or Croatia in Oct 07) the atmosphere reaches okay levels.

The Poles, Germans, Croats and various cup finals have proved you can get more of an atmosphere In there though.

• Will be there trying to add to my caps total.

Was planning on doing all home games in qualifying but not going to bother now with that. Will do San Marino, Lithuania at home and maybe one more.

Off to Switzerland, Scotland, Ireland( hoping I get one) San Marino and maybe a friendly.

Hopefully 15/20 caps by France.

In the same boat as me really, good thing we are starting now otherwise we wouldn't have a chance. Couldn't really have left it much later. I did read somewhere 12 will be enough so let's hope so.

• I hope so for you but the FA dont know what grounds we'll play in and hence what allocation we'll recieve.

They also don't know how many of the (free) home only members accumulating caps will switch to the away scheme before the tournament, skewing the numbers.

Err... there's a qualifier six days later mate. The season would have stopped anyway.

Err... there's a qualifier six days later mate. The season would have stopped anyway.
    Which is true but how much of tomorrow's team will resemble the one that plays against Switzerland?

Which is true but how much of tomorrow's team will resemble the one that plays against Switzerland?
    That wasn't the point you were making prime minister...

I get your drift, but once again I repeat for about (without exaggeration) the 50th time on this forum - how else are new caps going to get international experience?
  • edited September 2014

The acoustics are not the best.

The infamous middle tier was the worst idea ever.

It's a sports arena not a football ground. You feel completely away from the action up in that top tier (the more affordable seats)

Ultimately though it's the people. It's just one big pantomime these day filled with family's, tourists and middle aged men with face paint and carrying cuddly toys.

The opposition (and lack of away support) and lack of importance on most games doesn't help.

When there is a big big game under the lights (like Poland last Oct or Croatia in Oct 07) the atmosphere reaches okay levels.

The Poles, Germans, Croats and various cup finals have proved you can get more of an atmosphere In there though.

When i watch play-off finals/League Cup/FA Cup games at Wembley on TV the atmosphere sounds very good.

I think its just the micture of England fans + Wembley. Made up of families, regulars, annoying people with brass instruments and corporate prawn sandwich brigade its hard to get any type of atmosphere going in such a large stadium.

Away from home England fans are excellent because its usually condensed and made up of regulars.

• I would be interested if Wembley Stadium wasn't such a borefest. Majority of people who go to these games seem to be the "got a ticket through work so might as well" crowd who sit there with nachos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nachos, now you're talking ...
  • cafctom said:

I would be interested if Wembley Stadium wasn't such a borefest. Majority of people who go to these games seem to be the "got a ticket through work so might as well" crowd who sit there with nachos.

They take their Mexican friends along? Is that open to anyone from central/south America, or just the Mexicans? ;-)
  • It's a struggle watching England friendlies on tv let alone making the effort to go. A no from me.
  • Is the membership so you can buy away tickets and sit with the away fans? What if I travelled to Switzerland can you pay of the day?

Do other nations have to join a membership scheme or can they just buy away tickets?
  • That is a fantastic article, and shows up the flaws in the ranking system. A simple way to balance out part of the problem would be to take the lowest number of friendlies played by any team in the top 100, and use that as the bench mark. i.e. everyone in that top 100 has played at least three friendlies, so any team who has played more can choose their best three results to be ranked on. I think that works?

The south American problem needs to be dealt with by altering the number of points available due to their unique circumstances, or by making them go along with the rest of the world and splitting into two seeded groups of five. Would that work?
  • Starting xi: Hart Stones Jones Cahill Baines Chamberlain Henderson Wilshere Sterling Rooney (c) Sturridge.
  • Looking forward to seeing Stones make his debut, heard good things about the lad.
  • Starting xi: Hart Stones Jones Cahill Baines Chamberlain Henderson Wilshere Sterling Rooney (c) Sturridge.

@Bedsaddick‌ - who do you think will be dropped for the Switzerland game?
  • edited September 2014

Looking forward to seeing Stones make his debut, heard good things about the lad.

He played in the world cup warm up matches