Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How differently would you have answered these Charlton questions?

Every summer i do a q+a piece for a football magazine. Found it incredibly difficult to answer the questions this summer, so would be interested in how others would have answered. It will no doubt be edited down for the final cut, but these were my answers

1. In a sentence, how would you describe last season?

Complicated, frustrating, but ultimately relieved. A season where lack of investment and forward planning ahead of a takeover looked likely to relegate us before a late rally eased us to safety. Sandwiched in the middle was a hugely disappointing no-show in the FA Quarter Final, which really did hit the fans badly.

2. What are you expecting from this season?

The unknown. We are now a club owned as part of a network, and eight months on and with a full summer of planning, this will be the test of whether it is potentially the way forward or a complete disaster. We have a new overseas manager (Bob Peeters), and a whole host of overseas signings. No one could tell you with any certainty which way this will go.

3. Who was your biggest hero last season?
Jose Riga, no question of doubt. Chris Powell was as popular with a fanbase that any player or manager could ever be. So when the new Belgium owner sacked him and brought in a little known Belgium manager, the scepticism levels went through the roof. But Riga quickly won everyone over and along with a calm, assured and methodical presence, he also delivered results. Why he wasn’t appointed full-time manager for the coming season, no one could really understand.

4. Who was your biggest villain?

Tough question. Some people will say our new owner’s decision to sell three of our best players in January (including fan’s favourite Kermorgant), and replace with players from his network that didn’t appear up to the job, amid suggestions of pressuring the manager on team selection. However, the strong finish to the season under Riga, and a number of ground improvements this summer has placated a lot of the unrest going into the new season.

5. What was the best terrace song/chant last season?

With the growth of Youtube, Twitter etc, no decent or funny chant stays original for more than a week these days. We embraced one of the new Euro-style drum-based chants, but sadly it felt like half the Football League were doing it by November. Following Powell’s sacking the fans organised a minutes appreciation, which was well-embraced and nice recognition for a great servant of our club.

6. Is there a young player should we look out for?

Joe Gomez. Yet to make his first-team debut but this England U17 has the tools to go a long way. Can play either centre half / right back, he is composed, reads the game well, has a good turn of foot bringing the ball out of defence with confidence. We are gutted to see a similar young talent in Diego Poyet move on so quickly, hopefully we will get to see more of Gomez in the next 1-2 years before the big boys inevitably swoop.

7. Which game are you most looking forward to, and why?

The one that confirms our safety for another season. We are desperately in need for an exciting season, the last two have largely been focused on ‘making do’, but this coming one appears to be carrying risks and the cautious amongst us would take safety now. The bookies think we will struggle, the sooner we hopefully prove them wrong the better.

8. Are there any games you are dreading, and why?

No hesitation. Millwall, home and away. Whoever said ‘the good guys always win in the end’ has not seen the Tale of the Tape in this painfully one-sided South London Derby. Regardless of form, whoever plays for or manages our club will religiously let the fans down during the annual six point handover. Having a former Millwall player as a manager may ironically prove our best chance of beating the hoodoo, but with just 11 wins out of 68 games, we won’t be holding out much hope.

Comments

• Agree with most of that.

3 is the only one I'd answer differently. Johnnie Jackson for me as I think he pulled the players together which gave Riga an easier ride than he might have had otherwise following what many regarded as the unsavoury sacking of a club legend.

That said Riga did an excellent job in difficult circumstances.
  • Every summer i do a q+a piece for a football magazine. Found it incredibly difficult to answer the questions this summer, so would be interested in how others would have answered. It will no doubt be edited down for the final cut, but these were my answers

1. In a sentence, how would you describe last season?

Complicated, frustrating, but ultimately relieved. A season where lack of investment and forward planning ahead of a takeover looked likely to relegate us before a late rally eased us to safety. Sandwiched in the middle was a hugely disappointing no-show in the FA Quarter Final, which really did hit the fans badly.

The unknown. We are now a club owned as part of a network, and eight months on and with a full summer of planning, this will be the test of whether it is potentially the way forward or a complete disaster. We have a new overseas manager (Bob Peeters), and a whole host of overseas signings. No one could tell you with any certainty which way this will go.

Jose Riga, no question of doubt. Chris Powell was as popular with a fanbase that any player or manager could ever be. So when the new Belgium owner sacked him and brought in a little known Belgium manager, the scepticism levels went through the roof. But Riga quickly won everyone over and along with a calm, assured and methodical presence, he also delivered results. Why he wasn’t appointed full-time manager for the coming season, no one could really understand.

Tough question. Some people will say our new owner’s decision to sell three of our best players in January (including fan’s favourite Kermorgant), and replace with players from his network that didn’t appear up to the job, amid suggestions of pressuring the manager on team selection. However, the strong finish to the season under Riga, and a number of ground improvements this summer has placated a lot of the unrest going into the new season.

With the growth of Youtube, Twitter etc, no decent or funny chant stays original for more than a week these days. We embraced one of the new Euro-style drum-based chants, but sadly it felt like half the Football League were doing it by November. Following Powell’s sacking the fans organised a minutes appreciation, which was well-embraced and nice recognition for a great servant of our club.

Joe Gomez. Yet to make his first-team debut but this England U17 has the tools to go a long way. Can play either centre half / right back, he is composed, reads the game well, has a good turn of foot bringing the ball out of defence with confidence. We are gutted to see a similar young talent in Diego Poyet move on so quickly, hopefully we will get to see more of Gomez in the next 1-2 years before the big boys inevitably swoop.

The one that confirms our safety for another season. We are desperately in need for an exciting season, the last two have largely been focused on ‘making do’, but this coming one appears to be carrying risks and the cautious amongst us would take safety now. The bookies think we will struggle, the sooner we hopefully prove them wrong the better.

No hesitation. Millwall, home and away. Whoever said ‘the good guys always win in the end’ has not seen the Tale of the Tape in this painfully one-sided South London Derby. Regardless of form, whoever plays for or manages our club will religiously let the fans down during the annual six point handover. Having a former Millwall player as a manager may ironically prove our best chance of beating the hoodoo, but with just 11 wins out of 68 games, we won’t be holding out much hope.

Good answers (especially number 8 - it kills me that our record is so crap).

I too am just praying for safety, but I think the money we have paid for Vetokele and possibly Delort means we could be in for something a little bit surprising. Surely these boys don't come with such a price tag without some talent.....
  • I think everyone will agree with them answers Dan. Very fair and has a bit of both sides of the fence involved.
  • No arguing with any of that, well done that man...
  • Fair call on Jacko Len.

That late winner v QPR was a real season highlight
  • I would have used 1 sentence to answer question 1... ;)

Seriously though, hard to disagree with any of it
  • edited August 2014
    Number 1 ~ you have used 3 sentences

Number 4 ~ If we are talking about ground improvements I might have also mentioned the 8 players signed and most certainly Poyet's knob-headedness in reference to biggest villain
  • edited August 2014
    I think I'd have TJ as the big villain. While selling Yann was a big mistake, if they'd brought in the right players to replace him it would be lauded as smart business; in the end it was a gamble. A failed gamble, but still something that could have turned out well. With TJ though, the rain came down and we saw a physical manifestation of the lack of support and input from our owners. Seeing the pitch in that state and hearing that the drainage had collapsed off the back of years of neglect really brought home just how bleak a year we were having. Powell stood there with the same team as last year while everyone around us had strengthened, with the ball stuck in a bog and other teams laughing at us was miserable.
  • Fair point @Garrymanilow‌

Leading on from that, i suppose there is an argument that Dennis Wise could well have been the Hero, having won his court case against TJ, which probably sped up his desire / need to sell
  • Fair point @Garrymanilow‌

Leading on from that, i suppose there is an argument that Dennis Wise could well have been the Hero, having won his court case against TJ, which probably sped up his desire / need to sell

Desperation to sell more like but regardless while we might thank Dennis Wise I can never see him as a hero : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

Agree with most of that.

3 is the only one I'd answer differently. Johnnie Jackson for me as I think he pulled the players together which gave Riga an easier ride than he might have had otherwise following what many regarded as the unsavoury sacking of a club legend.

I suppose if you give Riga hero after 16 games then you can advocate JJ in the running for biggest hero, especially the way he ended the season. However, I thought he had a shocking first half of the season and was off the pace for a long time. For me a lot of the problems we had were because our midfield was trying to accommodate him, without him holding up his end of the bargain and chipping in with goals from late runs, set pieces etc (I know I'm moving this slightly away from thread topic, I just think a number on here are blinkered when it comes to JJ). Queue torrent of pro JJ posts....................
  • Powell stood there with the same team as last year while everyone around us had strengthened, with the ball stuck in a bog and other teams laughing at us was miserable.

I don't think it would have been too bad if that were true. Whilst others strengthened, we were weakened over the summer. Fuller, BWP, Haynes, Wagstaff were all shown the door. 4 attacking options replaced by Church and a loanee (Sordell) who seemed completely disinterested until April...............
  • cabbles said:

LenGlover said:

Agree with most of that.

I suppose if you give Riga hero after 16 games then you can advocate JJ in the running for biggest hero, especially the way he ended the season. However, I thought he had a shocking first half of the season and was off the pace for a long time. For me a lot of the problems we had were because our midfield was trying to accommodate him, without him holding up his end of the bargain and chipping in with goals from late runs, set pieces etc (I know I'm moving this slightly away from thread topic, I just think a number on here are blinkered when it comes to JJ). Queue torrent of pro JJ posts....................
    would also have given more than an honorable mention to Alex Dyer

• 1. In a sentence, how would you describe last season?

Boring

Pushing on at least a top 10 finish, then improving the squad again and trying to push on again unlike the last couple of seasons.

Diego Poyet, Great to see such a quality player playing for us, just a shame it didnt last too long

Chris Powell, Was sick of seeing players having a bad game one week, then dropped from the squad completley for the next 6 weeks then out of the blue back in the starting line up.

Were winning at home how shit must you be were winning at home

Joe Gomez looks the business, cant wait to see him in the first team

Millwall home and away, I generally think we may score against them this season

Bournemouth, really dont want to see Yann control the game and score against us.
  • the biggest villain has to be the previous owners who spent nothing on the infrastructure which resulted in the terrible playing conditions and not investing in the team by letting good players go at the beginning of the season and not signing up our young players.
    OK the new lot made mistakes but Stephens was no loss as he was replaced by Poyet and Yann was allegedly offered and refused.
  • 1. In a sentence... not 3! ;-)
  • No mention of Danny Green I see.
  • Spot on.

But would alternatively say, biggest hero, Johnnie Jackson, Biggest villiain, Thuram-Ulien...refusing to travel to leeds as 2nd keeper.
  • cabbles said:

LenGlover said:

Agree with most of that.

Well if you believe sentence one, what else would you expect????
  • Fav song = Wilson song
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

LenGlover said:

Agree with most of that.

Well if you believe sentence one, what else would you expect????
    Yeah he came good again in the end, and hats off to him. I was just responding to Len's reference putting him as the hero for point number 3. I just thought he had a poor 1st half of the season, and it was quite frustrating to watch at times.
  • I'm in agreement with cabbles. Jackson has been well overrated
  • I'm in agreement with cabbles. Jackson has been well overrated

@BrockleyCAFC, brave statement:)

In all honesty, you cannot question JJ's commitment and what he has done for us in the time he has been with us. His goals against QPR & Watford were typical of his contribution over the years. I just felt at times, the team was built around accommodating him, but this was to our detriment. I hope he continues to perform well, and perhaps this isn't the thread to get into a detailed discussion about this, I am just not as overly enamored as others by him.
  • edited August 2014
    I am a Jacko fan and make no apology for being so.

That said I do see some of the footballing arguments postulated that he was not at his best as a player last season even if I do not necessarily fully agree with them .

My perspective in naming him as "hero" is a wider one than just the playing side.

He did his job as Club Captain, and some, to help stabilise the playing side of things in a very unsettled season where 14 players, including him himself incidentally, didn't even know whether they would have a contract next season. To cap it all amidst the turmoil a well respected, popular manager was sacked.

Life for Riga could have been very difficult but, in my opinion, thanks in no small part to Jacko's role in geeing up the players it was not and Jose in turn performed very well to retrieve a sticky situation.
  • FFS don't mention Joe Gomez outside of SE7! You need to change that to Simon Church.

This,

Agree with this, also the goal he scored at home against Watford to put us back in front sums him up, determined and committed.
  • Fav song = Wilson song

Not a big fan of it to be honest. Glad he sees the funny side, because I don't think he did at first

• 1. In a sentence, how would you describe last season?

A slow starting and frustratingly disappointing season topped with confusion.

A mid table finish with a cup run would be nice, however I could see it going either way as the manager is an unknown. It really is going to be a season of the unknown, some of the players i'd never heard of and whether they can cut it in English football is unknown.

(Stole your answer here)
    Jose Riga. Why he wasn’t appointed full-time manager for the coming season, no one could really understand.

Kermorgant, Fan favourite that we accepted a transfer bid for however he did not 'have' to leave. He could have chosen to stay. I assume money talked louder than fan appreciation.

Jose Riga Riga Riga Jose Riga

Kevin Lisbie

The play off final... or the relegation survival game.

Millwall, I dread those boys every year.

However I (very blinkered POV) see us taking one game this year without concession.
  • Slight undertone of your disdain for Roland but on the whole I agree with most of it.