Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Gray

edited January 2008 in Rumours
According to the local Burnley press we made our first bid for Gray last night which was rejected.

Comments

• Burnley have confirmed they turned down our offer.

gray day!
  • Shows that we are ready to splash the cash........
  • http://www.burnleyfootballclub.premiumtv.c...1216325,00.html

Bid turned down
  • a "substantial seven figure bid, that falls way short of our estimation"

going to get screwed into the ground on this one

he's a 750k player, tops, we've already bid over 1mil and i bet they want 2
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    he's a 750k player, tops,

What are you basing that on? 1.5m for McLeod, 2m for Varney. He's 1 of the top strikers in this division.
  • ir McLeod load +1m,we maybe get gray
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]a "substantial seven figure bid, that falls way short of our estimation"

going to get screwed into the ground on this one

he's a 750k player, tops, we've already bid over 1mil and i bet they want 2

Selling clubs know that buying clubs are usually desperate in the January window.
    So you nearly always pay over the odds.
  • I think Gray is a decent striker but for 2 mill we could get the likes of Maynard (Crewe), Eastwood (Wolves), McLean,Mackail-Smith (Posh). I can see Pards offloading McLeod especially seeing that Dickson is starting to impress him.
  • edited January 2008
    Chris he will do fuck all in the premiership, that is what i'm basing that on

whereas, at way below 30, both varney and mcleod have the chance to improve

there is a grave difference between a good Championship striker, ie. the ageing Kevin Phillips, Steve Howard, Ricardo Fuller and someone who can hack it in the top division

is Gray even as good as any of these? or james beattie? marlon king? is he really "one of the top" strikers in this league?
  • Good points .... once we're back in the Prem.

But from what he's said about priorities, Pards is trying to buy us a striker to get us out of the Championship.
    And he'll wheel & deal again for Prem quality players after we get promoted.

So horses for courses ......
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Chris he will do fuck all in the premiership, that is what i'm basing that on

But surely we need to do what we can to get out of this division FIRST, and Gray will help us. Get out of this league first, worry about the premier league later. Premiership quality players are not going to come to us.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Chris he will do fuck all in the premiership, that is what i'm basing that on

whereas, at way below 30, both varney and mcleod have the chance to improve

there is a grave difference between a good Championship striker, ie. the ageing Kevin Phillips, Steve Howard, Ricardo Fuller and someone who can hack it in the top division

is Gray even as good as any of these? or james beattie? marlon king? is he really "one of the top" strikers in this league?

Pards don't give a monkey's about what players will do in Prem as we're in the CCC and need players to get us out of one league before we start thinking of another!
  • okay hypothetical situation though...

we go out and sign Andy Gray by the weekend for say 1.5mil quid, he scores a dozen goals for us before the end of the season and we get promoted

do we then turn around and say cheers Andy, you were our CCC man, did your job, we're getting some high-rollers on board now with Mr Murdoch's big fat cheque

don't we need to consider this when we are actually buying a player.

if he was older, like a Todorov short term deal, or a 6month loan with a view to buy on Zamora or Roberts it would be a lot different
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]okay hypothetical situation though...

we go out and sign Andy Gray by the weekend for say 1.5mil quid, he scores a dozen goals for us before the end of the season and we get promoted

do we then turn around and say cheers Andy, you were our CCC man, did your job, we're getting some high-rollers on board now with Mr Murdoch's big fat cheque

don't we need to consider this when we are actually buying a player.

if he was older, like a Todorov short term deal, or a 6month loan with a view to buy on Zamora or Roberts it would be a lot different

If he does score the goals to get us up he'll get a chance in Prem but would be then offloaded to a ccc side if he didn't do the business.
  • edited January 2008
    but then would we be wasting valuable games with a guy that bombed in the premiership twice before?

i don't know, maybe it's a personal thing but i fancifully see us assembling an astute squad of premiership-capables at the moment and i think it would be unfair on the lad to get him, for him to do well, but to do it with the view that he's expendable and if the gamble pays off we'll get our return and he'll be on his way
  • At this moment in time i'd fancy Gray to do a hell of a lot better in the prem than McLeod!
    And if he scores goals that take us up then bombs and we need to offload, we'd recoup most, if not all of that 1.5m this time next year.
  • It deffo won't be a problem for Gray as he'd be doubling his wages coming to us apparently. As well as this he may help us win the league and that could turn out to be the highlight of his career.

I actually see lots of Prem potential in the squad but think we need more experienced heads through the spine of the team at the mo and the likes of Gray fit that bill.
  • how about getting earnshaw on loan, proven goal scorer at this level and may well be available as he is talkin about going out on loan.

Get the best of both worlds, player scoring goal for us in the league were in and need to get out of and not laying out the large mill plus outlay
  • i like earnshaw and he's a waste at derby, talk of him going to cardiff on loan today
  • Jewell says they won't loan him but may look at permanent deal. £2 mill might be ok but he seems to have a sniff of bad egg about him, the way he's always moving.
  • Sponsored links:

• i feel genuinely sorry for him

on fire at cardiff

got bought i think by megson at west brom? who then got sacked and bryan robson (managerial legend) just didn't play him, even though his goals ended up saving them from relegation (including a hattrick at ours)

he then went to norwich, scored goals and is now back in the boat of being out of favour for no particular reason

he's fallen victim to the "he does nothing else except score" argument, as have the likes of Van Nistelrooy at a higher level

don't understand it myself
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]he's fallen victim to the "he does nothing else except score" argument, as have the likes of Van Nistelrooy at a higher level

don't understand it myself

And a bit like Ambrose, he does nothing but score and set up goals.

;-) Only ribbing ya ISLS!
  • Most fans and from time to time managers, only want a player in the side that's covering every blade of grass, tearing into bone crunching tackles and then appears on the end of a cross to score.

But other players can be more specialst & just as effective in their own way - the guy who doesn't do as much huffing & puffing, but consistantly pops up at key moments to change the game.

Earnshaw is one of those.
  • Earnshaw is a player that will score you goals but when he is NOT scoring goals ie when he hits a barren spell like all strickers do, he brings nothing else to the table, the Manager then won't play him, he then ends up eventually being transferred.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]okay hypothetical situation though...

No. We keep him for the 2009/10 CCC campaign.
  • optimistic for promotion then Paddy!
  • edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]optimistic for promotion then Paddy!

I see no reason at all why we can't go up this season. Unfortunately, I see no way to avoid relegation in 2008/09 without huge investment.

That's why I thought it would be best to keep Gray for the 2009/10 CCC campaign. ;)

I'll post my thoughts about what'll happen in all the seasons up to and including 2020/21, later on..
  • i was going to say Paddy... looking into your crystal ball a bit! some people don't want to look past the end of this season, let alone into the one after next

i misread your original season dates as next season!