Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things we learnt from the 2nd Week of the World Cup

1. The mascot is still missing. Where are they hiding him?

2. FIFA can act very quickly when they want to. Maybe it was because the reputation of the world cup was at risk but they banned Suarez both the teeth marks had faded.

3. It's harder to score direct from free kick. Just two direct dead balls have lead to goals. The ball, the humidity or better goalkeepers but the ball isn't whizzing in like it seemed to in the past.

4. After having multiple games every day for a fortnight having a blank day just feels wrong

5. Good teams beat good players. So far it has been the well organised countries who play as teams and to their strengths who have won through (apart from maybe Argentina and Messi but he is one hell of good player)

Comments

• Honduras apart, the lack of cynical, abrasive football.
  • Suarez still takes 'show your hunger' too literally.
  • England make mugs of the fans that support them
  • The Asian Football Federation needs to have a good hard look at itself.
    All four members out at the first hurdle.

Apart from the match-fixing, violence, corruption and illegal betting, what on earth is holding back the Chinese from making the World cup finals?

• Apart from the match-fixing, violence, corruption and illegal betting, what on earth is holding back the Chinese from making the World cup finals?

They're crap.
  • ...indeed, but there's 1.7 billion of them.
    Law of averages suggests they should be able to rustle up a dozen contenders?

39% of Chinese are interested in the World Cup, according to Time magazine, compared to 29% in England and just 11% in USA.

One thing I have learnt is that The Solomon Islands has the world’s highest Google search volume index for “World Cup.” This tiny archipelago northeast of Australia—its team isn’t even in World Cup this year—is Googling “World Cup” like crazy. Next are Vanuatu, Liberia, South Sudan and Sierra Leone.
  • edited June 2014
    Not to get too excited.

Remain in a negative frame of mind & you won't be disappointed.

:)
  • ...indeed, but there's 1.7 billion of them.

39% of Chinese are interested in the World Cup, according to Time magazine, compared to 29% in England and just 11% in USA.

One thing I have learnt is that The Solomon Islands has the world’s highest Google search volume index for “World Cup.” This tiny archipelago northeast of Australia—its team isn’t even in World Cup this year—is Googling “World Cup” like crazy. Next are Vanuatu, Liberia, South Sudan and Sierra Leone.

Maybe not many newspapers or a readily available tv service there?
  • yes

still interesting though?
  • MrOneLung said:

...indeed, but there's 1.7 billion of them.

Maybe not many newspapers or a readily available tv service there?
    A cannibals feast.

• Sponsored links:

• That the officials will try their best to help Brazil win it
  • Klose equalled the record for goals in the World Cup Finals.
  • Rooney is, pound for pound, the most overrated footballer ever.
  • Some England 'fans' will still dig out Rooney even though he was better than 90% of the rest of the squad
  • Rooney is, pound for pound, the most overrated footballer ever.

After Reza !
  • No matter where the World Cup is held, the cameramen are perverts

Can you support this assertion with hard evidence? Please?

• IdleHans said:

No matter where the World Cup is held, the cameramen are perverts

Can you support this assertion with hard evidence? Please?

the evidence is certainly hard
  • The Asian Football Federation needs to have a good hard look at itself.
    All four members out at the first hurdle.

Apart from the match-fixing, violence, corruption and illegal betting, what on earth is holding back the Chinese from making the World cup finals?

They all fail the CL height test

• South Korea are without a doubt the worst divers in history!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• England would struggle to beat charlton
  • edited June 2014

...indeed, but there's 1.7 billion of them.

That's because of those Japanese veterans still lost in the jungles of Guadalcanal. Now Japan's out, watch that index drop.
  • That it's too long. It's difficult to keep the same enthusiasm by the start of week three.

• Apart from the match-fixing, violence, corruption and illegal betting, what on earth is holding back the Chinese from making the World cup finals?

They're crap.
    I think it was a rhetorical question, but the Chinese have proved with chess, just like the Soviets did, that if you put enough backing into something, you can improve your world ranking. We've done a similar thing with the Olympics. Perhaps football's harder to do this with, or maybe you have to wait longer to be good at identifying the young talent.

Not perverts, just almost certainly nearly all men.

• That I must remember to put winky smiley faces on the end of my posts

A full-stop would do.
  • cs1986 said:

England would struggle to beat charlton

England would struggle to beat Carshalton

A full-stop would do.
    someone's tired