Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - not in the running for manager says Cawley (summer 2022 p6)

edited May 2022 in General Charlton
This is not a joke.

According to Cawley's match report he was considered as an appointment before Riga.Ominously he states that 'it could be that a change is still made'.

Hasselbaink might be a good coach. I don't know. If this was to occur it would have the opposite effect of Chris Powell's appointment three years ago.

I can't think of an ex Charlton player who would be more unpopular if he were to return to the Valley and rather like the Millwall fans attitude to Steve Lomas albeit for different reasons he would not enjoy a honeymoon period and would need to prove himself.

You have been warned.

Comments

• Everytime i see him on TV as a pundit i think his footballing knowledge is woeful. The things he says are so basic.

Finished this season 7th in the belgium 2nd division with Antwerp.

I honestly couldn't think of many people worse for the job.
  • yes i read same article and my relegation avoidance euphoria quickly vanished ....have made an Appointment with GP to increase my dosage
  • He has a nice car
  • PL54 said:

He has a nice car

Surely he wouldn't be as effective by managing from the car park - no hang on a minute ...
  • The only way Jimmy Floyd would keep us up is if he sat under us. Can't think of many players I've felt more let down by. Would hate to have him as manager
  • Could the bench take the weight?

Come on... I know we like to have a laugh on here sometimes but thats just taking the piss... Of course it bloody well couldnt!!
  • I have changed the title of this thread because I do not want people to think this is a joke. I'm afraid it is a serious speculation from our favourite journo.

Cawley claims that he was 'considered as an appointment before Riga' in his match report in the SLP.
  • What's the Flemish for "You're 'aving a larff"?
  • Sponsored links:

• Jimmy Floyds Red Army!

Jimmy Floyd Road, The Mist rolling in from the Thames!

No thanks.
  • Everytime i see him on TV as a pundit i think his footballing knowledge is woeful. The things he says are so basic.

Finished this season 7th in the belgium 2nd division with Antwerp.

I honestly couldn't think of many people worse for the job.

Wow, I didn't know Antwerp were that poor these days...
  • Interestingly enough I saw a programme about JFH on beIN Sports a few weeks ago. He is building an excellent reputation in Belgium, apparently, for coaching & developing some very young players at Antwerp & he said that he was having the time of his life. He has certainly trimmed down a lot since the last time we saw him at the Valley! He may actually be a decent option for us.
  • I couldn't believe it when I read it.

Apart from goals against his old clubs Chelsea and Boro and a decent performance in the 4-0 demolition of West Ham he was one of the biggest disappointments in an Addicks shirt , I agree with Atletico ,this would be the opposite of Powell's appointment.

With Chris most of us felt we should back him after the collapse at the end of 2010/11 because essentially he was playing with Parky's team and as fans we gave him a longer honeymoon than a manager with no connections with Charlton would have.
    Had Jose Riga failed in keeping us in the CCC , I suspect the knives would have been out for him a lot earlier than for SCP.
  • Please go no. Quite possibly the worst player I've ever seen play for us in over 25 years. Awful attitude.
  • No, please god no. He couldn't be arsed to play football for 90 minutes on huge wages - he's a lazy ass with not proven record. Stay wherever you are.
  • This would not end well, sacking Powell as manager and then soon getting in JFH would be like Man Utd sacking Giggsy and getting in Fellaini to manage. Completely different calibre's of football knowledge and viewed completely different by our fans.

Jimmy was quality in his day, just not when he came to us.

I don't want him as manager but you can't say that SCP was a better footballer than him, and that's kind of what you're insinuating.
  • I would be fuming if we appoint JFH

Dont do it Roland
  • Sponsored links:

• Please god no
  • You do have to separate the player and the manager. Yes he was awful for us but he could be a good manager. He has played under some great managers so I am sure he picked up some good knowledge.

Unfortunately because of the player he was for us I fear he will not get any real honeymoon from the fans.
  • edited May 2014
    His work ethic while playing for Charlton suggests to me he wouldn't be a great manager for Charlton.
  • edited May 2014
    Katrien/Roland, if you are reading, NO do NOT do this. Keep Riga as head coach, he's done an excellent job so far.
  • Well he will get very little lee way from me, so any way what has he done as football manager/coach then.
  • Firstly, lets not get carried away and use this as a stick to beat the new regime with, unless he is brought in. Its our favourite local journo speculating it, not Katriane Meire.

Secondl, I would welcome JFH in South London ... Millwall or Palace!
  • Its little things like this that keeps part of me slightly nervous and uneasy where Roland is concerned.
  • Its little things like this that keeps part of me slightly nervous and uneasy where Roland is concerned.

But its not from Roland its a local journo and even if RD looked at JFH he turned him down.

Murray looked at Dowie and then bloody employed him, then he looked at Reed and bloody employed him too.

RD has possibly looked at JFH and turned him down and it makes you nervous!!! Quack journo says possibly may look again but there is no evidence!!

• edited May 2014
  • dizzee said:

This would not end well, sacking Powell as manager and then soon getting in JFH would be like Man Utd sacking Giggsy and getting in Fellaini to manage. Completely different calibre's of football knowledge and viewed completely different by our fans.

Jimmy was quality in his day, just not when he came to us.

I don't want him as manager but you can't say that SCP was a better footballer than him, and that's kind of what you're insinuating.
    I'm insinuating more in terms of having a football brain of which a coach needs, and dedication to the job. Powell stuck his heart on his sleeve and gave his all for the team, same as Giggs. JFH did not do this for us, and Fellaini certainly isn't giving his all at Utd, sure he's fine with his wages though.

it takes a certain character to manage in these leagues, JFH would not have fun when going gets tough, bit of a Malkay sacked for Ole Gunnar type replacement imo, not what we need.