Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: The China Syndrome

13»

Comments

• edited January 2014
    "Thank you."
  • ^^^ Carl Zeiss do not play in Berlin and Ujpest play in Budapest .. and SE7 .. RUN DOWN !!! .. (I'd stay hidden in Spain if I were you) ... otherwise an interesting theory ((:>)

I will give you the Bucha/Buda cock up. But if you had read what I had written (and I know that is a big ask considering your old Chinese proverb suggestions further up the page) I stated that it fell down with CZJ, as in Jena is not Berlin and it is our football club that is run down rather than SE7! Glad you like the theory though.
  • edited January 2014
    'OK it falls down with Carl Zeiss Jena but then football in Germany is not strong in Berlin' @Cordoban Addick .. is what you wrote .. it might not be what you meant though .. presumably you mean that as football is not strong in Berlin, CZ was a good alternative .. gotcha
  • I can sleep easy tonight knowing we have that one sorted then.

• To better gauge this performance consider the following:
    - 38 players signed on full contract (22 loan) involving 29 seniors with just 9 said to incur fees.
    - 41 full contract players released – just 6 now play at higher or comparable level and four of those rejected terms.
    - His 2012 Championship squad started with 7 players with division experience

The squad this season has been weakened by further financial restraint.
    - 12 of the last 27 signings were loans, 11 were signed “off the street” leaving 4 targeted signings, just 1 (Button had to be resold) involved paying a fee.
    - Circa 80% of current professionals are out of contract in less than 30 weeks

This detail indicates CP has been forced to operate at a largely sub championship level. If you consider the above operating model does not impact a manager’s authority or empowers a manager to succeed in the Championship, and do so playing expansive attacking football you have never stepped inside a football clubhouse.

Good post and these figures in particular highlight the uphill struggle Powell has had to undertake.

PS I do look forward to some one liners from Grapevine : - )

• Surely those who are expecting to know more about RD's plans by the end of the transfer window are misunderstanding the loan system?

We should know that purchases in January can be more costly than the summer and clubs are less likely to let key (or should that be 'their better') players leave unless it's for financial reasons eg BWP. So any lack of movement may be due to availability rather than choice.

Similarly clubs will not let their fringe players go out on 'Standard' loan, eg Chris Woods at Leicester, as they would not see them again for the rest of the season.

However, come 7th February, 'Emergency' loans can be made, again effectively to the end of the season BUT importantly these can have recall clauses. So if RD's (and CP's) intentions are to secure safety by bringing in a higher class of player it will be after then that we may know more.

• To better gauge this performance consider the following:
    - 38 players signed on full contract (22 loan) involving 29 seniors with just 9 said to incur fees.
    - 41 full contract players released – just 6 now play at higher or comparable level and four of those rejected terms.
    - His 2012 Championship squad started with 7 players with division experience

The squad this season has been weakened by further financial restraint.
    - 12 of the last 27 signings were loans, 11 were signed “off the street” leaving 4 targeted signings, just 1 (Button had to be resold) involved paying a fee.
    - Circa 80% of current professionals are out of contract in less than 30 weeks

This detail indicates CP has been forced to operate at a largely sub championship level. If you consider the above operating model does not impact a manager’s authority or empowers a manager to succeed in the Championship, and do so playing expansive attacking football you have never stepped inside a football clubhouse.

Good post and these figures in particular highlight the uphill struggle Powell has had to undertake.

PS I do look forward to some one liners from Grapevine : - )

Something like:

"PMSL

Grapevine 49"

• Great post btw GV49.
  • Rothko said:

Outs to Warren Place (Insufferable Addick?) on getting banned in 15 posts.

It's idiots like him that give us true trolls a bad name......
  • Top quality post by @Grapevine49. It's not often I read a post twice.
  • Sponsored links:

• As the (other) old Chinese proverb says, "every great journey starts with one small, nippy striker".
  • edited January 2014
    Great post @Grapevine 49 but i kind of think the same way as @Lincsaddick that we are going to be a feeder club for Standard let's hope we are both horribly wrong on that front.
  • Thank you Grapevine. Is he a visionary or a deluded soul? You are so right to talk of uncharted territory. His attempts to form a mass political party based upon a single idea struck me as surprisingly naive. When it failed, he chose football as his next project. He appears to be a quiet man, given to statistical analysis and seemingly unconcerned by people's emotions. In a business that relies upon emotional responses from its customers, it appears to be a mismatch. Interesting times.
  • edited January 2014
    More thoughts on the jewel thing, it occurrs to me that having succeeded at Standard bringing successs it would appear via his own method, he's decided to up the stakes financially, although to reach the very top of that pile would be a serious challenge with the might of the top English clubs in your way.

Sure that doesn't fit the multi club model. For me that works best when there is a clear hierarchy. To me that is where it starts to get risky as the focus is blurred, hanging on to Liege may be short term of course. But having two clubs wrestling for resources at the same level must be a recipie for failure.

Finally multiclub may be a way of mitigating ffp - in a way other singular model clubs cannot - in the medium-long term.

And even more finally, what happens when more and more clubs do this, and then the EU or EUFA gets wind of it and closes the door by disallowing multi ownership.
  • Owners will merely buy clubs in other peoples names which is what Duchatelet is already doing to circumvent the existing rules.
  • There are some multi-ownership rules already in place, and as stilladdicted says, they are easily subverted. ENIC (Daniel Levy) was a case in point. I am not up to date with whether ENIC still own other clubs. Slavia Prague was one, and ENIC definitely exited that.
  • Thank you Grapeviine; I agree fully with your assessment and I am looking forward to the future under RD's ownership. It might not be what wen have been used to but, hey, something had to change.
  • ENIC sold up and also took the decision to buy out the rest of Spurs. I don't know the exact history but it may have been when UEFA changed the rules to say you can't have more than one club in the same competition - JohnBoy would know?
    We are getting Liege players now because they are free to RD and available right now. We will know soon enough what other players arrive and where they might come from. And we will also see who is brought in upfront (if anyone) to fill the gap left by Fuller, Hulse, Obika etc.
    Will everything be fixed overnight? Well no - this is Charlton! But I have more confidence in this owner than the last that we can pull away from the bottom three this season and start climbing into the top half next season. I thought it was 15 players out of contract or 60% and that can cut both ways - players playing for a new deal or simply giving up. I have seen two different teams on the pitch this season - the one with Solly and Kermorgant and a fit midfield looks quite good (Leicester / Watford away). As good as last season.
  • Following Grapevines splendid piece everything's covered so got distracted googling Chinese proverbs - Trying to think how I can relate this thread to "Do not remove a fly from friend's head with a hatchet".
  • The one thing that I find impossible to believe is that Roland will allow us to slip back into League One, when he obviously has the wherewithal to prevent it. If he does not take action now, he must surely know that he will only have to next year, starting from another level down. However poor our resources are right now, it remains a fact that we are only one step away from the Premiership and all it's money. I am confidently waiting for action from Roland, don't let me down Monsieur.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2014
    Just catching up on stuff.

What a brilliant post from Grapevine.

I want to know who he is. I want RD to know who he is. Intelligence and eloquence, he/she ought to be a source of advice to the Board.
  • edited January 2014

I never said it was random. But I did say people, including you, are making assumptions that there is a grand strategy rather than it being an opportunistic purchase of a distressed company.

We can't infer strategy from what we see happening, least of all signing a striker as it hasn't happened and if and when it does what does it show. That we needed a striker not what the long term strategy is.

I agree you didn't say random but then neither was CAFC a distressed company. Monsieur Duchatelet has made a purchase of several clubs in different countries. I think you could say it was opportunistic in our case because last year's owners were distressed. All the more so after the Wise jiminez case.

I think it was Mintzberg who defined strategy as "a pattern in a stream of decisions". So one can infer strategy from what you see happening as those decisions take shape and a pattern emerges. Fans do it all the time with the football strategy as they watch the club develop a squad over time.

Last years owners puzzled me as they destroyed the value of their project and our club as quickly as they had built it!

There was a clear strategy to sign up every decent player U24 and that was it on the playing side. Was this announced in the programme? No but it was crystal clear in the actions of the last six months.

We have seen two players come in from Liege already and they might be part of the squad on Saturday now that we are through. What will they add to the squad? My point is that we can infer we will follow the Udinese - Watford route with inter club player loans.

I admit I was not precise in my language re. an additional striker which many hope to be added. The cost and origin of this player (if signed) will indicate a little more about the direction which CAFC might take.
  • would be fantastic if those that have such criticism for powell could respond to grapevines post

I somehow thing they might be lost for words...

Would be useful if someone could put that post in front of Roly or Katrien!

• would be fantastic if those that have such criticism for powell could respond to grapevines post

They couldn't respond in a meaningful way, because he is factually correct.

• "Change is both a danger and an opportunity whatever the Chinese word is. The opportunity to build on what we have or the danger of slipping back into league one. The opportunity to sweep the slate clean and start afresh or the danger of undoing the good work of the past three years, the danger of being a feeder club in a euro-farm or the opportunity of being part of an international network of talent.

As the Chinese curse says "may you live in interesting times"

Interesting times indeed
  • edited December 2016
    worth a bump for Grapevines post, AFKA's "you're commenting on an article you haven't read" put down and for Seriously Red claiming that CAFC weren't a distressed company. OP isn't bad either ; - )