Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oxford Away, Tuesday 21st Jan, 2014. (Pubs, travel, tickets, etc...)

Replay ticket details. Tues 21st Jan (7.45pm). Adults £19, Students £15.50, Over 65s & U16s £11.50, U7s free. Sales date to follow.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/oxford_united/

Comments

• edited January 2014
    What's The Kassam Stadium Like?
    The club moved to the Kassam Stadium in 2001, after leaving the Manor Ground, which had been its home for 76 years. The stadium is named after the former Club Chairman Firoz Kassam. It was built at a cost of around £15m and is located on the outskirts of Oxford. It has only three sides, with one end remaining unused. Each of the stands are of a good size, are all seated, covered and are roughly of the same height. The South Stand on one side of the pitch, is a two-tiered stand with a row of executive boxes. This is a particularly impressive looking stand with police control and press boxes situated at the back. Opposite is the single tiered North Stand, primarily given to away supporters. This has a number of strange looking floodlights protruding from its roof. At the one end is the Oxford Mail Stand, which is also single tiered. There is a special type of pitch, one of the first to have artificial grass woven into the live turf. One disappointment is the large gaps in the corners, which sets the stands back from the playing surface and means cold winds whistling through in winter. Outside the stadium at the West End, there is a statue of an Ox.

Future Ground Developments
    Foundations have been put in place for the future construction of a fourth stand, at the West End of the stadium. However it is unlikely that this will be built until as and when the Club progress up through the league

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters?
    Away fans are normally housed on one side of the North Stand, towards the open end of the ground. This stand may be shared with home supporters, or if demand requires it, then the whole of this stand can be allocated providing just over 5,000 seats in total. The facilities within and the views of the playing action are excellent, and there is also good leg room. The atmosphere within the ground is not bad, with the home fans in the Oxford Mail Stand doing their best to raise it. There is not much around the ground in terms of pubs and eating establishments, although refreshments inside the stadium are okay, although if there is a large away support, then it can take quite a while to get served. Refreshments on offer include: Cheeseburgers (£3.80), Burgers (£3.40), Hot Dogs (£3) and a selection of Wrights Pies (£3). With one end of the ground being open, there is always the remark 'of watch my car' as another wayward shot flies into the car park behind. On the whole I found the Kassam Stadium to be an enjoyable and a largely friendly day out.

Where To Drink?
    With the closure of 'The Priory' pub then there is a limited choice of bars near to the stadium. Andy Wraight informs me, 'There is the Holiday Inn Express Hotel on the corner behind the Oxford Mail and South Stand, which has a fair sized bar. The bar welcomes football supporters and has Sky Television. Kim Rockall adds; 'There is a cinema and bowling alley complex located adjacent to the stadium, called Ozone. Inside the bowling alley there is a bar, which also has SKY TV and a fast food outlet'. There is also on the complex a Chinese buffet restaurant called Oxy Oriental.

Dave Langford a visiting Northampton Town fan tells me; 'I found a small local pub called the George Inn, situated in Littlemore just off the ring road (not far from Sainsburys). It had a number of television screens showing the early kick off and we were served fairly quickly. The Oxford fans at the pub made us very welcome and the landlord suggested that I leave my car in the pub car park for the duration of the match as the stadium was only a ten minute walk away. There were assorted pies and sausage rolls available. All in all a good find.'

Otherwise alcohol is also served within the ground in the form of: Carlsberg (500ml Can £3.90), Brains SA Smooth (Pint £3.80), Cider (500ml Can £3.80) and Wine (minature bottles £4).

How To Get There By Car & Where To Park
    The stadium is quite well signposted from the main routes into Oxford, with brown football signs pointing the way. The stadium can be found in between the Oxford Science Park & Blackbird Leys Estate. From the A423 Ring Road, take the A4074 towards Reading. After the roundabout with Sainsbury's on one corner, take the left turning sign posted Cowley/Wallington/Oxford Science Park and you eventually come to the ground on your left.

Parking

There are 1,600 car parking spaces at the stadium itself, which are free. However, the car parks tend to fill up fast, so try and arrive early if you can (at least 75 minutes before kick off). An additional 400 car parking spaces are now available at the Ozone cinema and bowling alley complex adjacent to the stadium, which are also free to use. John Attwood a visiting Gillingham supporter adds; 'when arriving at the stadium, ignore the first stadium car park entrance that you come to and go up to the second entrance as the first will have you parking at the "open" end. There is a roundabout by the second entrance, which will take you back to the first entrance if the other half is full. I was also heavily delayed in trying to leave the car park after the game as there was only two exits available'. If you do end up arriving late at the stadium and find that the stadium car parks are full, then don't get tempted to park on a grass verge as you may well end up with a parking ticket for your trouble.

• By Train
    Oxford railway station is over four miles from the ground and it is really not advisable to try to walk it.
    You can get the Oxford Bus Company Service, Number 5, from Oxford Railway Station (use bus stop R2) via the city centre to Knights Road in Blackbird Leys, which is a short walk away from the ground. On Saturday afternoons the bus runs every five minutes and on midweek evenings every 8-10 minutes. Journey time to the stadium is around 30 minutes. For more information visit the Oxford Bus Company website. Ed Murray adds; 'I visited the Kassam Stadium for a Tuesday evening game, I took the number 5 bus from the station just before 7pm and, even though the traffic was fairly light, I didn't arrive at the ground until 7:50pm. Coming back after the game, it still took more than half an hour. So it may be an idea to allow yourself plenty of time if you are going to travel in this way.' Tom Raffan a visiting Southend United fan advises; 'It's worth noting that the bus from the train station takes a very windy, indirect route so if intending to get the bus from the station then get there by 1.30pm at the latest (for a 3pm kick off).

Alternatively a taxi will cost you in the region of £12, from the station to the stadium.
  • edited January 2014
    Hotels.
    If you require hotel accommodation in the area then first try a hotel booking service provided by Late Rooms. They offer all types of accommodation to suit all tastes and pockets from; Budget Hotels, Traditional Bed & Breakfast establishments to Five Star Hotels and Serviced Apartments. Plus their booking system is straightforward and easy to use. The Hotels listing also includes details of how far away the accommodation is located from the Kassam Stadium.

Access their Oxford Hotels and Guest Houses page.

• 2000 free parking places for not a huge ground seems impressive.
  • London to Oxford 21 January 2014 Train times result

DepartArriveDurationChanges
    14:06 London Paddington 15:03 Oxford 57m
    off-peak
    14:21 London Paddington 15:18 Oxford 57m
    off-peak
    14:27 London Paddington 16:16 Oxford 1h 49m
    off-peak
    14:30 London Paddington 15:34 Oxford 1h 4m
    off-peak
    14:50 London Paddington 15:50 Oxford 1h 0m
    off-peak
    14:57 London Paddington 16:43 Oxford 1h 46m
    off-peak
    15:00 London Paddington 16:05 Oxford 1h 5m
    off-peak
    15:22 London Paddington 16:18 Oxford 56m
    off-peak
    15:27 London Paddington 17:17 Oxford 1h 50m
    off-peak
  • Oxford to London 21 January 2014 Train times result

22:11 Oxford 23:27 London Paddington 1h 16m
    off-peak
    22:30 Oxford 23:41 London Paddington 1h 11m
    off-peak
    23:09 Oxford 00:30 London Paddington 1h 21m
    off-peak
    23:15 Oxford 00:37 London Paddington 1h 22m
    off-peak
    00:07 Oxford 01:22 London Paddington 1h 15m
    off-peak
    00:27 Oxford 02:07 London Paddington 1h 40m
    off-peak
    04:00 Oxford 05:41 London Paddington 1h 41m
    peak
  • edited January 2014
    Given the crap location and possibility of extra time I think I'm going to get the coach rather than train. Apparently the area around the station isn't great either, about a 15 minute walk into town before finding decent pubs.

My final young person's railcard also runs out tomorrow, boooooo.
  • edited January 2014
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140115-oxford-fa-cup-replay-details-confirmed-1295725.aspx

Oxford FA Cup replay details confirmed
    Posted: Wed 15 Jan 2014
    Author: Olly Groome

Charlton will travel to the Kassam Stadium for the FA Cup third-round replay against Oxford United on Tuesday, January 21st (7:45pm).

The Addicks have been handed an allocation of 5,000 tickets for the match which are now on general sale priced £19 adults, £15.50 students (with a valid NUS card) and £11.50 for over 65s and U16s. Tickets for children under the age of seven free of charge when purchased with an adult.

Tickets will also be available on the night at an increased rate of £21.50 for adults, £17.50 students, and £12.50 for over 65s and U16s.

There are three wheelchair spots available, along with ambulant disabled places, both of which are priced at the appropriate rate and include a free helper.

Tickets will be posted out until 4pm on Friday, January 17th, and will be available for collection from The Valley until 3pm on Monday, January 20th.

Return coach travel will be available via the Valley Away service, priced £16. Click here for more details.

Free parking will be available at Oxford on the night with 2,000 places allocated on a first come, first served basis.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140115-oxford-fa-cup-replay-details-confirmed-1295725.aspx#5WksjR14x3PH2gF0.99
  • so, if we win do we play Hudds away on the 25th and if we lose Barnsley at home?
  • Sponsored links:

• so, if we win do we play Hudds away on the 25th and if we lose Barnsley at home?

@APCAFC
    Is it likely that the Barnsley game will be rearranged for that day if we lose to Oxford?

Charlton Ticket News ‏@CAFCTicketnews
    @APCAFC no, as the replay takes place only a few days before
  • oh well :-(
  • edited January 2014
    I went to the ground a few years ago as part of my 92 quest when I saw them play Grimsby.Older fans will remember the Manor Ground which was outside the city centre.Well the Kassam is not just outside the city centre but in a remote part of Oxford the other side of Cawley near the Blackbird Leys council estate,I can say from experience it is not the most friendly of locations if you are getting a bus back to the town centre after the game in the dark.From memory the stadium was particularly cold and is a typical flat pack Ikea style stadium.Imagine the Toolbox with one end missing.

I had hoped when we drew last night that I might convert this into a ground I saw Charlton at and had the game been on Saturday 24th I probably would have. Given the remote location and the fact that I am on a course next Tuesday / Wednesday I think I will give it a miss although madness might descend on me at the last minute especially if I think SCP was going to play some new players.I would be happy to consider a car share on the way home and pay for petrol if anyone is in the East London area is making the trip.
  • Oxford to London 21 January 2014 Train times result

22:11 Oxford 23:27 London Paddington 1h 16m
    off-peak
    22:30 Oxford 23:41 London Paddington 1h 11m
    off-peak
    23:09 Oxford 00:30 London Paddington 1h 21m
    off-peak
    23:15 Oxford 00:37 London Paddington 1h 22m
    off-peak
    00:07 Oxford 01:22 London Paddington 1h 15m
    off-peak
    00:27 Oxford 02:07 London Paddington 1h 40m
    off-peak
    04:00 Oxford 05:41 London Paddington 1h 41m
    peak

A few years back done Oxford v Plymouth. It will be VERY difficult getting back to the station within 45 minutes of the game finishing..
  • I think there are a couple of cars going,but if i'm not in one of them i'll go by coach