Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Roland Duchatelet - fact or fiction?

13»

Comments

• Some good info here cheers all.

Don't think we should worry too much about him shipping off the valleys finest to Belgium though. Doubt he wants to spunk 14m on us to see us get relegated. Although come to think of it.. 14m is a bargain for Kermit, solly, cousins and Wiggins so maybe we should be worried!!
  • Sounds more like football is his hobby rather than a business. You collect things and if you can trade a valuable item to add to your collection you do so, which would explain taking money out of Standard. If he can help his family out financially from his hobby he will. Probably doesn't have a "goal" and probably isn't that complicated. Do fans have a "goal" or just want to see more good results than bad ones and be entertained and dream of ultimate success one day. Might be how this guy thinks.

Question - Given the complaints about CAFC being just a business investment for the owners, would you rather CAFC was run as a business or a hobby?
  • My preference would be for CAFC to be run as a business by someone with genuine love for the Club, but that now looks highly unlikely. Therefore we need to be run as a business first (no point otherwise), hopefully by somebody with ambition.
  • ...Question - Given the complaints about CAFC being just a business investment for the owners, would you rather CAFC was run as a business or a hobby?

This hobby is a great hobby for people who can afford to combine the hobby of supporting a football team with the hobby of investing in business. All you need is a notebook and pencil, several millions of pounds and a flask of weak lemon drink. Buying the Charlton club in particular also enables the hobbyist to combine the footballing hobby and investing hobby with the king of hobbies, the hobby of train spotting.
  • Stig said:

Just a comment i read on ceefax re Michy Batshuagyi Standards top scorer he is not going anywhere at the moment but the likes of Reza,Biton and Iandoli who only play bit parts for Standard could be loaned out.

Really LC? Does Ceefax still exist? I thought it was phased out with Betamax.

Yes it still on Dutch tv and Belgium tv just shows you how many years behind it is.
    Belgium tv now saying he is abit like THE CHELSEA OWNER only with less money ,but also stating a football club will give you more money back than keeping it in a bank.
    Make of that what you will.
    Out off the frying pan into the fire comes to mind.
  • edited December 2013
    The reports from the Belgie don't sound too promising.

The danger is that we don't scrutinise or question RD enough when he joins.

His intentions may all be good and be for the best of the club. I hope so but we can't assume that he must be good because he is new or that he just has to be better than the last lot.

Already people are pre-guessing what his plans are when we don't know.

New Watford? we don't know that that is the plan.

loaning players in from Standard and the other clubs? We don't know that that is the plan

Loaning players out to Standard and the other clubs? We don't know that that is the plan

Investing lots of money? Don't know that that is the plan

Asset striping the club? Don't know that that is the plan

I was attacked before for daring to suggest that we ask the current owners six questions as that isn't, or so I was told, our place as fans and they must know better.

I got a similar response when I suggested the same questions needed to be asked of which either new set of owners we were talking about a short while OK.

But I will ask again

1. Who owns the Club?

2. What is the level of planned investment?

3. What is the business plan?

4. What are the plans for the Valley?

5. What are the plans for the Academy?

6. What is the exit plan?

• edited December 2013
    I think the problem is, the new owners will tell us what they want to tell us - whether we ask them your questions or not. As owners, they own the club not us unfortunately. We can only hope they have ambitious plans for us. I suspect that buying us does not make sense unless you have a plan for improving the club, as a League One Charlton is not much of a commodity. That piece of logic is probably the best indicator we can get.

There is a lot of potential that can be tapped from us but it will require investment and sound managment to get it.
  • ...I suspect that buying us does not make sense unless you have a plan for improving the club, as a League One Charlton is not much of a commodity...

I reckon you're right there Muttley; at least I sincerely hope you are. Unless someone is a real Arthur Foggan type asset stripper, there's no point in buying a club and letting it go to waste.
  • I just knew that Henry's list of questions would reappear, well done Lord of the Cardigans!
  • Henry's questions are all sound, but who is going to ask them and in what setting? Would CAST have a role here in seeking to open a dialogue (when the new ownership is confirmed, of course)? Or would it be the fans forum?
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

Henry's questions are all sound, but who is going to ask them and in what setting? Would CAST have a role here in seeking to open a dialogue (when the new ownership is confirmed, of course)? Or would it be the fans forum?

Both plus local journalists, our own comms team, VIPs, Bromley Addicks or just individuals.

Or RD could read them and choose to write an article for the Huffington Post about them.

If we don't ask we won't get.

• Davo55 said:

Henry's questions are all sound, but who is going to ask them and in what setting? Would CAST have a role here in seeking to open a dialogue (when the new ownership is confirmed, of course)? Or would it be the fans forum?

Both plus local journalists, our own comms team, VIPs, Bromley Addicks or just individuals.

Or RD could read them and choose to write an article for the Huffington Post about them.

If we don't ask we won't get.

Well said,

• No harm asking the questions. No reason to think Duchatelet will answer them however, especially if his interests are not 100% aligned with ours. So we are left with speculation and assumptions. Mine are pretty obvious - he is not going to invest huge amounts, his strategy is to build up a 'squad' of teams that allows him to share and rotate players, management and expertise, focussing on where he sees the most likelihood of success, or where he most wants success. How committed he is to keeping us out of Division 1 depends on where we stand in his order of priorities I guess. All depending on the assumption that he is actually taking over.
  • I can see that as a business man the only reason you would buy Charlton would be to get into the premiership. No other reason and then sell. That's what this lot tried to do and obviously ran out of money. The rewards are worth the gamble.
  • I can see that as a business man the only reason you would buy Charlton would be to get into the premiership. No other reason and then sell. That's what this lot tried to do and obviously ran out of money. The rewards are worth the gamble.

Unless you're Bolton...

:-)

• Whatever some might say – the peninsula opportunity surely makes the club far more attractive to a certain type of buyer. Playing in the Premiership on the river with Canary Wharf towering over you and locality to the Dome – how many clubs could match that?

If you can buy the club and get it promoted, surely a highly lucrative sell is a real opportunity. If Fulham were worth £300 million, the mind boggles.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23297785

Fulham believed to be between £150m to £200m and that includes some very valuable, if available for housing, riverside property.

More importantly they are in the premier league (for now).