Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA commission investigating allowing feeder clubs to compete in the Football League

Merry Christmas all,

I've written a quick article on the prospect of feeder clubs being introduced into the English league system and I was interested in the views of other Addicks regarding the possibility in a major shift in the structure of our game.

Currently Greg Dyke is leading a commission looking into the reason that so few English players are getting regular game time in the top flight (and the subsequent impact on the quality of the national team). There are no concrete proposals as yet but one area which is being seriously considered is allowing B/feeder teams to compete in the Football League structure.

The article also provides a link to send your thoughts and opinions directly to the commission – they’ve set a deadline of January 2nd for responses and apparently they will take them seriously.
Would you support the introduction of feeder clubs into our League structure ? If so, how would you like to see it work ? If not, what are your main reasons for opposition ?

http://www.castrust.org/2013/12/feed-rich-feeder-clubs-say/

Comments

• It would be the single worst thing to happen to English club football. Changing names, colors etc is one thing, but this will be the ultimate sell-out.
  • Don't profess to be an authority on Mr Dyke but would this be his way of deflecting the issue of restricting the number of foreign players per Club ?
  • Don't profess to be an authority on Mr Dyke but would this be his way of deflecting the issue of restricting the number of foreign players per Club ?

This is exactly how I see it
  • Disastrous for English football - be even less competion
  • Wouldn't this kill off Loans? The youngsters would just play for the B or C team lower down. Unless they wanted to cut wages.
  • We are never going to be a world beater internationally. All out best athletes and sportspeople don't play football, and aren't coached to the highest standards from grass roots. We are as good as we deserve to be. If clubs want to start new teams from the bottom of the football pyramid I guess they should be allowed
  • It would serve to benefit the clubs only, not the national team. The likes of Jon Obika can play in the lower leagues for Tottenham B but are never ever going to make a difference to the England set-up.

We have too many foreigners in our Premier League. The authorities are too scared to come out and say it explicitly, but this is no longer the 'English' Premier League.

It's no coincidence that our best sides in recent years (1990, 1996) came at a time when the top English league was made up with English players.
  • cafctom said:

It would serve to benefit the clubs only, not the national team. The likes of Jon Obika can play in the lower leagues for Tottenham B but are never ever going to make a difference to the England set-up.

We have too many foreigners in our Premier League. The authorities are too scared to come out and say it explicitly, but this is no longer the 'English' Premier League.

It's no coincidence that our best sides in recent years (1990, 1996) came at a time when the top English league was made up with English players.

It's illegal to restrict the number of players from the EU though isn't it ?
  • I believe there is some restriction, though there are always ways of pushing the balance back in favour of English players (eg - only three international players in starting line-up).

Of course this will never happen as there are, again, too many foreigners involved on and off the pitch who don't give a toss about England.
  • cafctom said:

I believe there is some restriction, though there are always ways of pushing the balance back in favour of English players (eg - only three international players in starting line-up).

Of course this will never happen as there are, again, too many foreigners involved on and off the pitch who don't give a toss about England.

Why should they when even our own FA don't? It's all about making maximum money for them too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think i might be alone in this but I actually think it's a great idea. Spain and Germany both incorporate these systems and are world leaders in youth development right now. Don't think it's too much of an insult to the system tbh, a lot less than the loan system is right now.
  • cafctom said:

I believe there is some restriction, though there are always ways of pushing the balance back in favour of English players (eg - only three international players in starting line-up).

No, I genuinely think that's illegal. You could probably have a restriction on the number of non-EU players but given our work permit regime for non-EU players is already quite strict (hence why big clubs loan non-EU players to teams in the Belgian league where they have more lax work permit regs) I don't think that would solve the problem.

I don't know what the answer is, I think it probably has a lot to do with coaching standard/number of qualified coaches more than the number of foreigners playing in England, I think that's a result rather than the cause. I certainly am unconvinced that allowing the larger clubs to hoover up more talent by sanctioning feeder teams is the answer.
  • You do realise, restricting the amount of foreigners would just make the league poorer and wouldn't necessarily make the English players any better...

Now, more English players in foreign leagues, that would lead to an improvement.
  • You do realise, restricting the amount of foreigners would just make the league poorer and wouldn't necessarily make the English players any better...

Now, more English players in foreign leagues, that would lead to an improvement.

Well the saturation of foreign presence has made the England team much, much weaker.

There are many more average players fighting for places than there was 15 years ago.

Foreign influence has helped our game develop from a fitness, tactical and nutritional standpoint - however, it is no longer a game influenced at all by English.
  • cafctom said:

You do realise, restricting the amount of foreigners would just make the league poorer and wouldn't necessarily make the English players any better...

Well the saturation of foreign presence has made the England team much, much weaker.

There are many more average players fighting for places than there was 15 years ago.

Foreign influence has helped our game develop from a fitness, tactical and nutritional standpoint - however, it is no longer a game influenced at all by English.
    There's no real proof of that, there's no alternate universe to compare.

It could be various reasons for the English team becoming weaker over the years, and it's the easy option to simply blame foreigners.
  • Article written before our new connection with Standard Liege!
  • cafctom said:

You do realise, restricting the amount of foreigners would just make the league poorer and wouldn't necessarily make the English players any better...

There's no real proof of that, there's no alternate universe to compare.

It could be various reasons for the English team becoming weaker over the years, and it's the easy option to simply blame foreigners.
    England have entered the European Championships 13 times since 1964 and failed to qualify for the Finals in 1964-1972-1976-1984-2008

England have entered the World Cup 16 times since 1950 and failed to qualify for the Finals in 1974-1978-1994
  • Article written before our new connection with Standard Liege!

Ha ha, how's that for timing !!
  • se9addick said:

Article written before our new connection with Standard Liege!

Inspired !

• se9addick said:

Inspired !

Jammy !

• Sponsored links:

• surely national teams are against EU law then?
  • razil said:

surely national teams are against EU law then?

You aren't employed by your national team though, so not being able to play for another EU country isn't a restraint of trade. Hence also the reason why you are allowed a manager (who is employed) who doesn't qualify to play for you.
  • they'll find a way eventually :D
  • edited December 2013

se9addick said:

Inspired !

Jammy !

Not really, old Duchâtelet has kinda stolen my thunder !
  • I am against it, because often the only atmosphere at the Valley is provided by the away fans, albeit because of the fact that the acoustics there are better than the national opera house and the acoustics in the north are about as good as a church hall without a roof (apparently)

Basically people won't go to support a "Chelsea B team" and it would reduce atmosphere, so I'm against it.
  • Let's say Man Utd, for example, establish a B team in league 2. Several years on the B team have achieved two promotions and the first team are relegated? Couldn't happen could it?
  • Would make FA Cups and League Cups interesting. Would the reserves give the first team a bye, or try to win?
  • Would make FA Cups and League Cups interesting. Would the reserves give the first team a bye, or try to win?

I'm guessing the B teams wouldnt be allowed to enter any competitions that the Senior team are in, so they wouldnt be in the fa or league cups

I'm guessing the B teams wouldnt be allowed to enter any competitions that the Senior team are in, so they wouldnt be in the fa or league cups
    They used to allow it in Spain, then this happened

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Copa_del_Rey_Final
  • se9addick said:

Would make FA Cups and League Cups interesting. Would the reserves give the first team a bye, or try to win?

They used to allow it in Spain, then this happened

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Copa_del_Rey_Final
    An English player in the Madrid squad! First English player in the clubs history, obviously the Spanish National Side went downhill from that moment...