Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Electrical help

Got a double dimmer switch that controls either end of lounge. One end has started to flicker unless have turned up to pretty much full brightness. Other set is fine. Also notice the plate thingy the nobs are on is getting quite warm. Is this something obvious I could sort out or do I need a sparky round?

Comments

• You have pretty much concluded that the switch is f***ed.
    Buy an new one and change it yourself.
    You never know, you could have one eye to go with that lung.
  • Sounds like the switch itself if faulty. If you can use an electrical screwdriver it would be cheaper to buy and replace the switch yourself before calling in a spark. TURN OFF SUPPLY FIRST.
  • Thanks all, and those who inboxed me too.
  • The switch could be faulty but the other will be are the lamps normal old style ones or energy saving type? Energy saving ones don't work on dimmers at least not the compact fluorescent ones .
  • You can buy dimmer bulbs that are energy saving two for two quid in tescos
  • Don't buy a cheap switch on the internet. I made that mistake.
  • Don't buy a cheap switch on the internet. I made that mistake.

• Check the lamps as well, you can only use certain lamps with dimmers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps a loose connection, can cause flickering and a buzzing noise.

MK Edge or Aspect are a good replacement in my view.
  • We got through two new dimmer plates. Our light bulbs seemed to flicker and die at a faster rate than in other rooms, the plate buzzed and got pretty warm. Called in Mr. Sparks who told us that cheap light bulbs don't work well with cheap dimmer plates. Got rid of dimmer plates, bought better quality bulbs and that solved all the problems.
  • All lamps (bulbs are what you grow flowers from) will have a reduced life when operating through a dimmer .

The only energy saving ones that operate through a dimmer are the halogen ones and a small amount of decent (expensive) LED ones and the halogen ones save nowhere near as much energy as the compact fluorescent lamps.
  • These are ceiling spot lights - been in for about 6/7 years, just affects the one end of the lounge.
    Got someone coming over on Monday so hopefully sort it out.

thanks again
  • I think I have faulty wiring.

The quick flicker in the kitchen was a bit like stranger things. 

I don't have the money for an electrician and there won't be one available at this time via jubilee.

Thanks queen. If she named at least one of her son's Dave then it would be easier to forgive.

I love the queen. Sort of wish I could give her a hug and put the kettle on for her. She would probably want to view a photo album of her grandchildren/great grandchildren.

• MrOneLung said:
    Got a double dimmer switch that controls either end of lounge. One end has started to flicker unless have turned up to pretty much full brightness. Other set is fine. Also notice the plate thingy the nobs are on is getting quite warm. Is this something obvious I could sort out or do I need a sparky round?
    Did you get it sorted @MrOneLung?
  • Dave2l said:
    I think I have faulty wiring.

I don't have the money for an electrician and there won't be one available at this time via jubilee.

Thanks queen. If she named at least one of her son's Dave then it would be easier to forgive.

I love the queen. Sort of wish I could give her a hug and put the kettle on for her. She would probably want to view a photo album of her grandchildren/great grandchildren.

Unplug the kettle and see if the breaker resets, if so buy a new kettle. 
  • Have you tried turning it off & then on again. Leaving at least 15 secs between the 2.

HTH.

• paulfox said:
    Dave2l said:
    I think I have faulty wiring.

Unplug the kettle and see if the breaker resets, if so buy a new kettle. 
    No, really try this and let us know the result👍
  • Do you know If your board is RCD protected? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Do you know how to perform castling in chess?