Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

4th Ashes Test

Comments

• Options
    Another wicket?

• Options
    DRS does it again...
  • Options

what is the logic of lbw not granted if the ball pitches outside leg stump? ... if the ball is going on to hit the stumps and the pads intervene, the decision should be OUT irrespective of where the ball pitched

The batsman has to put his feet somewhere, also if you abolish the pitched outside leg stump law then bowlers will simply bowl around the wicket into the batsman's pads and wait for him to miss one plus they'll pack the leg/on-side to prevent runs being scored.

• Options

what is the logic of lbw not granted if the ball pitches outside leg stump? ... if the ball is going on to hit the stumps and the pads intervene, the decision should be OUT irrespective of where the ball pitched

The batsman has to put his feet somewhere, also if you abolish the pitched outside leg stump law then bowlers will simply bowl around the wicket into the batsman's pads and wait for him to miss one plus they'll pack the leg/on-side to prevent runs being scored.

this is one theory/theories .. and it's full of holes .. batsman must put his feet somewhere? .. you lost me with this one .. the theory of just bowling round at the pads only applies to l/handers .. wait for the batsman to miss one? .. surely the idea of lbw in the first place
  • Options

DRS does it again...

should have been out lbw - can't have it both ways. Batman's given out caught behind and he refers it saying "I didn't hit it, it hit my pad instead" - DRS proves him right, but then shows the ball was going on to hit the stumps..........so out lbw. I don't think he should be given another chance by "umpires call" as we have no idea what the umpire would have said if the appeal was for LBW. The batsman has had his chance re the first appeal..........

• Options

DRS does it again...

should have been out lbw - can't have it both ways. Batman's given out caught behind and he refers it saying "I didn't hit it, it hit my pad instead" - DRS proves him right, but then shows the ball was going on to hit the stumps..........so out lbw. I don't think he should be given another chance by "umpires call" as we have no idea what the umpire would have said if the appeal was for LBW. The batsman has had his chance re the first appeal..........

so this is cake and eat it .. the umpire should say on what grounds he has given his verdict .. caught OR lbw .. if it's deemed no catch when the umpire states that the batsman was given out caught BUT the ball might have hit the stumps, that is 'double jeopardy' and the batsman should stay .. or perhaps the fielding team should be asked on what grounds they are appealing .. caught or lbw
  • Options
    this is one theory/theories .. and it's full of holes .. batsman must put his feet somewhere? .. you lost me with this one

Yes - the batsman must put his feet somewhere - surely not too difficult to understand?

the theory of just bowling round at the pads only applies to l/handers .. wait for the batsman to miss one? ..

Think of a situation whereby the laws allowed the bowler to pitch the ball outside leg stump and claim LBWs - they would do this pretty much most of the time looking to angle the ball in from wide of the crease. In the meantime the batsman would have a limited range of shots/scoring opportunities this would apply to both left and right-handed batsmen.

surely the idea of lbw in the first place

The idea is to stop the batsman standing in front of the stumps to protect his wicket.

• Options

this is one theory/theories .. and it's full of holes .. batsman must put his feet somewhere? .. you lost me with this one

Yes - the batsman must put his feet somewhere - surely not too difficult to understand?
    the theory of just bowling round at the pads only applies to l/handers .. wait for the batsman to miss one? ..

Think of a situation whereby the laws allowed the bowler to pitch the ball outside leg stump and claim LBWs - they would do this pretty much most of the time looking to angle the ball in from wide of the crease. In the meantime the batsman would have a limited range of shots/scoring opportunities this would apply to both left and right-handed batsmen.

surely the idea of lbw in the first place

The idea is to stop the batsman standing in front of the stumps to protect his wicket.

stop bluffing .. and explain what you mean .. and I still don't follow your convoluted theories .. we will have to agree to differ on this
  • Options
    Clarke gone -3 down
  • Options
    the game could be over tomorrow .. today even
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

the game could be over tomorrow .. today even

Or not. ;-)
    Aussies 222-5.
  • Options

DRS does it again...

Batman's given out caught behind and he refers it saying "I didn't hit it, it hit my pad instead"

Did he say it in that really deep, Christian Bale voice?
  • Options
    What a shit day of sport !

Still tomorrow is another day...
  • Options
    Anyone else noticed how many Ging-ers Oz have got?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    233-7

Haddin out for 13
    Rogers out for 110 on review, great catch from Prior.
  • Options
    245/8

Jimmy gets a wicket at last - Siddle ct Cook
  • Options
    Aussies 270 all out. Lead of 32.
  • Options
    Tony Hill is a woeful umpire - how did he miss that LBW?
  • Options
    17-1 Root gone
  • Options
    17/1 - Root b Harris 2

Jaffa of a delivery that would have gotten many batsmen out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England 85-3 (Lead of 53).
  • Options
    123-3 (lead of 91).
    Tea.
  • Options
    KP out ct 44 b Lyon

Lead of 123.
  • Options
    Damm..didn't need that.

Come on Bairstow
  • Options
    Bairstow's looking quality it has to be said. Just hope he doesn't just get a good start and get out.
  • Options
    221/5 Bairstow ct Haddin b Lyon 28

Lead of 189.
  • Options

Bairstow's looking quality it has to be said. Just hope he doesn't just get a good start and get out.

Ah.
  • Options
    What's the lead? 202? Another 100 won't be impossible (but prob not likely... I'd take 50), and that will take some chasing. Win this and Bell gets an open top car ride round Britain
  • Options
    Boycott reckoned 220 would be competitive earlier as a lead. Marks said 270 so 250 more or less splits it.
  • Options

Ah.
    Gutted. Lad has a lot of potential, you could see it today with the way he bashed the Aussies about at will. Then he loses concentration and gives away his wicket. Also think he's the best fielder in the England side atm