Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bournemouth v Charlton post-match news & views 2013

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
Empty pockets on the way back from the seaside. Disappointing, but were there any promising signs?

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Unlucky for the Haddocks from the commentary, Red Card very harsh.
  • Forgot how much a Charlton loss ruins your mood. Still, it's only the first game.
  • A goal?
    From the wireless it sounded like Dervite was very involved throughout, and Williams the Bournemouth expert was very impressed with Yann.
    An away defeat is less bad than a home one is about all we can take from this afternoon I fear.
  • Thanks for all your vivid reports, gentlemen. I'm disappointed for you - but we will learn from that performance. Get a few beers down your necks, and for those travelling tonight - have a safe journey home.
  • No. I still maintain our midfield will let us down this season. No creativity whatsoever between gower hughes and pritchard. Reminded me of the dark times we had last season. Missed captain jackson massively
  • Still in the ground - Worst performance since Milwall, It's gonna be a long season!
  • Long season
  • Sounds like Jackson was missed. Hopefully back for next league game. First game of season is basically a pre season friendly. Sordell and Church still need to bed in.
  • Bournemouth have rich owners & they have invested strongly during the summer. They are a decent team with a great manager & I expect them to have a very good season. No shame in losing to a team like this on the rise. Our new strikers are not yet match fit and we obviously miss a mid-field general to control the game. We will get better but we are realistically not a top-half team.
  • Just in case its needed
  • Sponsored links:

• We lose Pritchard for three matches. That is a big loss in terms of his work rate.
  • Palace lost their first 3 last season, sounds like a poor performance but it's a Snickers not a sprint....
  • Could give someone else a chaonce to push on though.

We'll have to go with Harriot and Green out wide imo.
  • One thing. Bollox. That's better. If it were up to me I would still look to sign a quality central midfielder. That's still where we get done over.
  • Evryone was ecstatic about signing two strikers but we still haven't solved the problem that has haunted us over the last few seasons - a lack of creativity in midfield
  • Nadou said:

Evryone was ecstatic about signing two strikers but we still haven't solved the problem that has haunted us over the last few seasons - a lack of creativity in midfield

It was never creativity that deserted us before Powell came in, it was a pair of balls. This team will continue to battle on and battle hard.
  • This season can't end soon enough :-)

Though i like his attitude, I have never been an Andy Hughes man and I hoped we could have got better for this season with him being another year older. Him and Gower seems an unbalanced midfield to me as you've effectively got two sitters, but i wasn't there so don't know how that played out. Sprde;; sounded off the pace a little, but its always a gamble playing someone that has on;y had one training session with his team mates.

I struggled to see during the week others optimism that we were in for a good season, but i'm certainly not going to make a judgement off the back of an opening day defeat to a newly promoted side.
  • Nadou said:

Evryone was ecstatic about signing two strikers but we still haven't solved the problem that has haunted us over the last few seasons - a lack of creativity in midfield

I personally think Stephens can offer us that instead of Hughes or Pritchard
  • Bournemouth have rich owners & they have invested strongly during the summer.

Have they ??

• D'urso out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Oakster said:

Palace lost their first 3 last season, sounds like a poor performance but it's a Snickers not a sprint....

This
  • Oh and Charlton were the only team to let me down in my accy.

NEVER BACK CHARLTON, NEVER BACK CHARLTON.....
  • BBC commentator said we lacked someone to take the game by the scuff of the neck, we've got him and his name is Jackson. Sounded like we missed him alot today.
  • edited August 2013
    One game, one defeat and the usual suspects are already out slagging off all and sundry.
  • Gutting. I'm sure Bournemouth will have a decent season but given how we finished last season it's a shame. On the bright side, chance for Green to show what he can do and not a lot of pressure as he's basically guaranteed 3 games now. Like others said, still a long way to go and hopefully some points at home next week.

Could be worse, we could be losing at home to Yeovil...
  • Don't go over the top. Yes we didn't create a huge amount but we got undone by a switch off and a great strike.

The lack of drive in centre midfield and not utilising Callum enough in the first half cost us. More than enough to win plenty of games this season.

Sending off looked absolutely ridiculous.
  • some of these comments about Bournemouth make me cringe. we are one step off calling them tin-pot whilst calling ourselves MASSIVE.
  • Nadou said:

Agreed. I think we will really suffer as a result of the lack of pace in midfield. If it can be sorted, a young dynamic central midfielder is an absolute must for me.
  • Anyone remember losing to Dagenham & Redbridge?
  • edited August 2013
    Forest,Reading,Crawley and Peterborough all win £10 four fold nets me £113.31 that's the only Positive for me today as for the game no positives .We move on to game 2.