Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bournemouth v Charlton Ath |Sat 3rd Aug 2013| Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

Saturday sees the return of the beloved Football League celebrating its 125th year anniversary since the very first match back in 1888. Unsurprisingly, Charlton’s first league match of the season is against Bournemouth which has been the occurrence in two out of the last three years. However, this season the first game will be played at Dean Court.

Pre-season has been average for the Addicks with decent performances against Welling and Portsmouth been overshadowed with last Saturday’s loss against Inverness. Now while Charlton’s transfer budget has been the biggest myth since the Loch Ness monster, Bournemouth have also struggled in the transfer window by only bringing in three players since their promotion from League One. However, the visit by Real Madrid in July (which ended in a 6-0 defeat) would have been a decent warm-up as they prepared to feel the wrath of the Addicks!

The Opposition

Like Charlton, Bournemouth have a few concerns of their own heading into Saturday’s match against the Addicks with a number of players potentially missing out due to injury. Key players such as ex-Addick Harry Arter, striker Lewis Grabban, instrumental midfielder Matt Ritchie and key striker Brett Pitman all have injuries and are doubts for Saturday’s game.

Additionally, again similarly to Charlton, Bournemouth will be hoping to add to their squad before the weekend and especially up-front where West Thomas might be their only available forward if Grabban and Josh McQuoid miss out.

Ex-Addick Simon Francis is expected to start, so many will be hoping that Francis can repeat his Charlton form this weekend especially with Callum Harriott lining up against the ex-Southend man.

What the Bournemouth Fans Think (from @SamStapleton_ on Twitter)

Looking quite injury-ridden at this point. Arter, Grabban, Ritchie and Pitman all have injuries, with the latter two more likely to miss out. Charlie Daniels could miss out after limping off at Bristol City too. If so Ian Harte will play. If our luck is really bad (this weekend) then Wes Thomas will start and then there's no way we'll score as I don't have faith in us scoring without Brett Pitman.

Predicted starting line-up (4231): Allsop, Francis, Elphick, Ward, Daniels, Arter, MacDonald, Fraser, Coulibaly, Pugh, Grabban.

Predicted result: 1-2 to Charlton.

The Line –Up-Charlton.

I would imagine that Chris Powell will select a similar line-up to the one that faced Inverness last Saturday with Yann Kermorgant up-front in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation.

The main dilemma for Powell will be who in selected within the middle of midfield. Against Inverness, Powell chose Mark Gower, Dale Stephens and Johnnie Jackson as his midfield three. Despite a poor performance from Stephens in the Inverness match, I would be surprised if Sir Chris decides to swap him for one of Danny Hollands or Jordan Cousins. The game will probably be too soon for Andy Hughes who is still recovering from a training injury despite playing mid-week against Dartford.

The back-five of Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Dervite and Wiggins will probably follow on from last season with Richard Wood and Leon Cort competing for Dervite’s spot.

Harriott and Pritchard will probably play on the wings although Danny Green will be pushing for a place on the right hand side after a decent pre-season.

The Prediction

A 0-0 draw to open the season.

Comments

• I see it being a tight game but i have a horrible gut feeling Bournemouth will nick it late on . 1-0 . Thankfully my gut isn't always right.
  • Does anyone ever bother to proof read anymore?
  • Newly promoted teams are always best avoided early in the season, so I'm pleased to hear they have a few injury concerns.

My hunch is that it will be a score draw.
  • 1 - 13. Come on you Addicks
  • 1 all draw
  • Bit harsh to call pre-season average when we've barely conceded a goal and only lost one game.

2-0 to Charlton. Yann and Harriott.
  • edited July 2013
    we lose 1-0. everyone gets drunk.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0
  • 0-0 at half time, Fuller off the bench so we go two up front, Bournemouth can't handle it, 3-0 to us with at least one of those coming from a Francis-conceded penalty.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2013

Bit harsh to call pre-season average when we've barely conceded a goal and only lost one game.

2-0 to Charlton. Yann and Harriott.

Fair point! Change average to decent then haha
  • 1-0 Bournemouth, probably a Simon Francis winner knowing us.

5-0 Charlton in the clubs afterwards.
  • Charlton two one winners
  • Who's bringing the smoke?
  • Great preview Stubs. 3-1 Charlton.
  • its nice to see these preview threads again ...

i like charlton 3-0. Kermorgant 15' and 42', Jackson 75' pk

preferred lineup 4/5/1 = hamer, solly, morro, devrite, wiggins, green, pritchard, hollands, jackson, harriot, kermy
  • 2 -1 Cherries
  • 2-0 home win. I can see this being a tough season.
  • Sponsored links:

• i think defensively we will be a tough nut to crack, simon francis is the weak link and its not sour grapes or anything, harriot i expect will take advantage of him running up and not coming back, pitman gets the goals so lose him and they wont provide the finishing, lose arter and they lose the creativity, plus if arter plays he wont be 100%, charlton have superior fitness so as the time runs out, the hard work from pre season will pay off and i think harriot, solly, green and pritchard will cause them problems, if a goal comes expect the wingers to be involved, our best bet is through the sides, bournemouth will be weaker there, bournemouth wont score so i expect 2-0 charlton
  • 0 - 1 Jackson
  • I just hope it doesn't end up being a massive disappointment. I'm talking about losing and us not even scoring a goal.
  • 0-2 to the Red Army
  • edited July 2013
    Sunny day, massive hangovers all round and 2-0 to Bournemouth
  • Can't see us winning this one.2-0 to them.
  • 3 nil defeat the start of the struggle-------------but a good weekend with old faces and loads of booze
  • We'll be on the back foot for much of the game, and be lucky with a 1-1 draw. Afterwards: Eight pints of Wadworth's 6X in the Goat & Tricycle.
  • seems Cherries more selection problems than us, with Yann up front and our good defence it will all hinge on our midfield, start with Prit on the right then give Green 20 mins at the end to run at their tiring defence to win 0-1

like the preview Stubley