Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• There has to be a catch somewhere.
  • More increases in tolls to pay for the new technology!
  • And only British cars to be charged, like London - yay
  • edited July 2013
    Extra revenue via fines when people cannot pay within the timescale.

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaft and shit on the decent working people of this godforsaken country even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • This from the Highways Agency web site:
    "Drivers will be encouraged to pay the charge before they use the Crossing." (By 'phone, text, etc)
    So what happens when you then get caught in a jam and divert off to the Blackwall Tunnel? Will you be able to reclaim the unused toll, tax.
  • What they should do is give drivers the opportunity to set up an account, a la the Dart Tag, either to prepay or to automate monthly charges via direct debit. Why does my cynical side tell me they won't do that and grab the fines instead?
  • Which they will and Tag users have already been contacted about switching to the new system.

Some of you do half play the victim
  • Rothko said:

Which they will and Tag users have already been contacted about switching to the new system.

I'm a tag user. I haven't been contacted. There is nothing about the new arrangements on the dart tag web site.

Interestingly, the articles, and the Highways Agency web site, while having information on fine tariffs don't have any information about the actual toll rates. Hands up who thinks they won't be going up (again)?
  • LenGlover said:

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaft and shit on the decent working people of this godforsaken country even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Len, you'll give yourself an ulcer at this rate!

• Curb_It said:

LenGlover said:

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!

Len, you'll give yourself an ulcer at this rate!

Len's ulcers have got ulcers.
  • Sponsored links:

• BTW, the French company that operates the toll system on the motorways in France has a UK office and will sell you a french tag. The FAQs section of their web site has this intriguing bit:

"Can I use the tag in the UK at Dartford/ M6 toll/ Severn Crossing?

Not yet! But watch this space...."
  • cafcfan said:

Rothko said:

Which they will and Tag users have already been contacted about switching to the new system.

I'm a tag user. I haven't been contacted. There is nothing about the new arrangements on the dart tag web site.

Interestingly, the articles, and the Highways Agency web site, while having information on fine tariffs don't have any information about the actual toll rates. Hands up who thinks they won't be going up (again)?
    I'm also a regular tag user (10 journeys per week) and have not been contacted. To be honest I think there will be an outcry if they don't at least implement an Autopay option like the Congestion charge - regular business and haulage users are not going to want the hassle of having to pay online every day.
  • Rothko said:

Well I'm a Tag user and I've not been contacted.
  • edited July 2013
    I believe this story surfaced a few weeks back on the BBC. If my memory serves me correctly they are predicting that most foreign drivers won't be paying (about 10%), as you will be charged by number plate recognition, and there's no current jurisdiction to chase foreign defaulters. That was how I read it anyway.

• rikofold said:

Rothko said:

Well I'm a Tag user and I've not been contacted.
    Nor have I

• Rothko said:

Wrong again Rothko.
  • It is a year away so no need to panic if you have not been contacted eh.
  • We have about 20 tags for work - we have not been notified.

And it's common knowledge that the fee goes up to £2.50 next year or the year after. That was announced when they last put it up
  • MrOneLung said:

It is a year away so no need to panic if you have not been contacted eh.

It's no panic. I don't expect to be contacted. I expect them to plough on with the same type of rip-off scheme as the congestion charge. Shouldn't even be bloody charging.
  • oh well misinformed then.

But I stick with the victims line, so hard done by
  • Sponsored links:

• To be honest if they do put it up to £2.50 I think I will make fewer journeys to Essex. Having said that if they offer a significant discount for those that have the DartTag replacement it might not be all that bad.
  • Rothko said:

oh well misinformed then.

But I stick with the victims line, so hard done by

Victims of crime is probably a fair description given that we were promised that the toll would cease once it was paid for...
  • To be fair Len we have been made many promises over the years (waiting lists for hospital appointments to come down, school class sizes of 20 or less, etc.) but unfortunately the country has run out of money.

I would love the crossing to be free, I would love lots of things like libraries and public swimming pools to be kept open, but sadly there is only so much money to go round and when it's gone someone has to pay.
  • Don't see why this is a bad idea if it reduces congestion.
  • RZA said:

Don't see why this is a bad idea if it reduces congestion.

Exactly, but Len thinks the government is out to get him
  • no when the tolls were put up it was clearly stated once the money was paid back that the tolls would stop not increase
  • and then the choice was made to charge to reduce congestion, by a different administration who made the initial decision.
  • which is the wrong thing to do it shows a lack of class the only reason its congested is because of the toll booths
  • of course it would be utterly perfect at the crossing without tolls, or booths. Toll booths don't stop people having accidents in the tunnels, or wind closing the bridge. But they'll never happen again once the booths go, it'll be the smoothest bit of tarmac in britain.
  • nonsense and don't try to mug me off Rothko with your snide dig

if you want a constructive debate then do so if you want to try to be smart then find someone else to do it with