Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ref kills player - crowd kills ref.

Deary me this story coming out of Brazil is all very grim isn't it?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Just stunned by this. What the hell is going on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23215676

If I take a very cynical view, I don't have to wonder too hard why this has been kept quiet for a week.
  • Options
    Respect campaign.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    this is one thing I have NEVER seen dahn the Valley .. give it time
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The news was slow to emerge...or in other words, not until the Con Fed Cup was over.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

The news was slow to emerge...or in other words, not until the Con Fed Cup was over.

That was my cynical view above. Happened same day as the final last week. No way that the Brazilian authorities or FIFA wanted it reported then.
  • Options
    Holy shit. It takes a lot to shock me these days but sounds utterly horrific.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

To be fair, it was in a very remote part of the country and in an amateur game. So not as if this was a huge event.
  • Options
    shocking on both counts!
  • Options
    By both counts I mean the ref stabbing the player and then what happened to the ref.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

Valley11 said:

That was my cynical view above. Happened same day as the final last week. No way that the Brazilian authorities or FIFA wanted it reported then.
    Hard to see beyond this isn't it. Country full of football and other jounalist covering the protests = the last impression of football and levels of crime they wanted them to take back. Needless to say, mobile phone footage doing the rounds too they are reporting. There are some proper sick people in this world.
  • Options
    Brazil is a violent and crazy place things like this happen all the time there the only difference here is the football

Its a dangerous place
  • Options
    Brazilians are a largely friendly and welcoming bunch, it seems though that when things go bad it's really bad.

I'm tempted to make a Trevor Kettle joke here but I think I'll leave it.
  • Options
    We've got a Brazilian student at work for the summer, he was warning us off from going to the olympics in Rio - he said last time he was there he was mugged - by the police!
  • Options

We've got a Brazilian student at work for the summer, he was warning us off from going to the olympics in Rio - he said last time he was there he was mugged - by the police!

Sounds like the warnings we got about South Africa, Poland & Ukraine etc - ultimately these tournaments are so important for many different reasons to a government that they simply can't allow for any nonsense (unless you go looking for it of course).
  • Options
    Poland and ukraine dud not disapoint on the hoolie front was exactly what it said on the tin

South africa was over hyped nonsense so ut turned out

There was a programme on channel 4 the other evening where this oldish bird daisy something goes rd the world passing judgement on their tv programmes in brazil at breakfast lunch and tea they put a programme on in certain cities that show newly murdered people laying on a street floor showing tge body the wounds and people walking rd them

Brazil is a violent place their football fans are geordies of sth america

Given a tag of great fans real fans yet are some of the most disgusting and game feckas you will meet
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Given a tag of great fans real fans yet are some of the most disgusting and game feckas you will meet

How are they the Geordies of South America?! Colombia, Peru, Venezuela and especially Argentina are far more dangerous places to be a supporter.

When their fans bother turning up they are awesome in terms of noise and colour. Admittedly there is an undercurrent of potential violence, but these days that only manifests itself on rare occasions.

• Options
    Like i said all you hear is geordies are real fans loads of noise proper supporters check out the scenes after sundetland for the real geordies

Brazil fans are no different othet than the birds are much better looking

Yet i have seen with my own eyes how game they are
  • Options
    Likewise I saw 4 games when visiting, and not a hint of trouble. That included a Rio derby with Vasco da Gama whose ground is in the middle of a favela.

There definitely are hoolies over there but it's no worse than most places in South America. Their reputation of being brilliant fans is overplayed considering the often crap attendances, but that's the only comparison I see with Geordies.
  • Options
    Its what the sly feckas do at the world cup tournies as well mate they aint the party face painted fans the media make out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    K, that I haven't seen. Admittedly their national fans I think of being the more happy, well-to-do types whereas it'd be at domestic games the idiots really come out. Travelling Argentines could end up being a problem, especially if they have reason to go to some of the more southern venues.
  • Options
    The presenter of the Brazilian version of Crimewatch got found out for organising a series of murders to boost his ratings. Seriously. Can't imagine kirsty young doing that
  • Options
    edited July 2013

a friend of mine was on a coach/bus trip in Brazil a while ago .. in the middle of nowhere two of the passengers pulled a gun on the driver, told him to stop and then robbed all the other passengers. A car pulled up, the robbers took the coach keys and drove off. My friend was later told by the driver who whispered to him (in Portuguese) :'It was the police'
  • Options
    This was done in the name of football - strong message needed. I'd take the World cup from them.
  • Options

This was done in the name of football - strong message needed. I'd take the World cup from them.

Really ?
  • Options

Absolutely agree! They should be stripped of the World Cup and it be given to a country that deserves it, you know like Russia or Qatar...........
  • Options

Poland and ukraine dud not disapoint on the hoolie front was exactly what it said on the tin

South africa was over hyped nonsense so ut turned out

There was a programme on channel 4 the other evening where this oldish bird daisy something goes rd the world passing judgement on their tv programmes in brazil at breakfast lunch and tea they put a programme on in certain cities that show newly murdered people laying on a street floor showing tge body the wounds and people walking rd them

Yes, I have always thought this about Geordie fans - when people (usually themselves) say they are the best fans in the world - I think they are collectively the worst and and largely an embaressment. But they don't go ripping off referees heads and limbs though to be fair!
  • Options
    But thats my whole point brazil is a violent place this is not about football its what is seen as acceptable punishment and a form of expectant behaviour within Brazil

Its a beautiful and mesmorizing looking place and the women imo are some of the most beautiful looking on the planet

Their link to the fans was to show that the media would have you believe that they are the best but really they are a violent bunch much like the geordies

• Options
    I've been to Brazil, and whilst it has its problems, ripping off people's heads is hardly normal behaviour. It's a pretty edgy place because of the blatant inequality between rich and poor, and I was a bit scared in Sao Paulo, but that was mainly due to the horror stories I'd heard. I had no trouble at all, and being an obvious tourist meant people were really friendly and helpful. Also, it's such a vast and varied country, sweeping generalisations don't mean a thing.

Anyway, wasn't that poor soldier who was killed in England recently beheaded? does that mean we should never host another tournament? Or that it's part of our way of life?
  • Options
    Not even a close comparison look at what i posted earlier they have programmes like their version of crimewatch that goes out at breakfast lunch and dinner times which shows murdered bodies lying uncovered in the street with people walking around and past them

One programe had shown 16 murdered young 17-24 yr old males in the space of 7 days in 1 town

That is the reality of brazil