Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Live - Phil Warman Interview

Phil Warman is our guest in the studio this weekend, any questions for him?

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited February 2013
    Hi Phil, who are you?

(Actually never heard of him which is bad considering it seems he made over 300 appearances for us!)
  • What a great player he was. The likes of Phil Warman, Bobby Curtis, Colin Powell, Keith Peacock, Killer etc
    were the essence of the club I grew to love in the 70s.
  • edited February 2013
    I remember Phil being instrumental in almost pioneering the near post corner flick-on - i remember one at an icy Stamford Bridge once, where we won 3-2- Killer scored 2 i think and Phil got the third.
    Was it something that was regularly practised in training ?
  • At what point and who converted him from a winger to full back?
  • Why did he finish his career with the Spanners?
  • Can you ask him whether Alan Dugdale was a good front seat passenger!
    Terrific left back and such a pleasure to meet him recently at the supporters club meeting in Gravesend.
  • Seem to remember he always seemed to do an overhead scissors kick per game.
    Think he was in the car that crashed (queensland_addick's comment?) ending Eamon Rodgers career with us.
    Got sent off at The Den once and walked all along the touch line taking pelters but was the type of character that thrived on situations like that.
    As an aside when he was at Cold Blow Lane 'they' used to refer to him as 'Young Harry' high praise indeed confirming what a no nonsense full back he was. Always Charlton through and through though.

• Pretty sure I was at that game at the The Den with my brother, I recall his long walk!
  • I was there - 100 % / john seasman .......
  • I used to go out with his niece, can you ask him how she is please?
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

Hi Phil, who are you?

(Actually never heard of him which is bad considering it seems he made over 300 appearances for us!)

Shame on you WSS! Great player! One of my favourites when I was an erbert! Along with Paddy, Jimmy Giles and of course Killer!
  • edited February 2013
    I'm good mates with his nephew Keith....for what it's worth. Phil Warman was definately one of my boyhood heros....loved the old 70's team.
  • He didn't take prisoners thats for sure!
  • WSS said:

Hi Phil, who are you?

Yes, shame on you! Does that mean you've never seen Killer's 'Golden Goal' in which Phil played a key role?

• March51 said:

WSS said:

Hi Phil, who are you?

Yes, shame on you! Does that mean you've never seen Killer's 'Golden Goal' in which Phil played a key role?

On that note, did Phil feel hard done by when The Big Match and Brian Moore only got Killer and Paddy in to the studio to talk through the goal, when it got Goal of the Season? I seem to remember though that it was the first (only) time they had anyone on, other than the actual scorer.

I used to stand with my dad in the little paddock between the Covered End and the Main Stand and remember that day/goal vividly.
  • edited February 2013
    Amongst all the good stuff Phil did over the years, I'm afraid I remember a dodgy moment in a cup-tie against Bolton when he missed a penalty and it ended 1-1. Was it the sight of ex-team mate Charlie Wright in the Bolton goal that put him off?

• Phil, how is Mojo White? You look alikes still mates?
    Alistair rhodes
  • Got a fantastic story about him and Jim Giles when Warman was asleep on the coach travelling to an away game. That's all I can say I'm afraid. See if he knows what you're talking about.
  • Could he please sign my "Valiant500" book ?
  • Yes Mog, bring it in
  • Sponsored links:

• Phil Warman on Saturday
  • Anyone got a recent photo of Killer?
  • Not the best, but fairly recent!
  • edited March 2013
    There was a photo of Phil W. and Killer together on the 'Killer in Gravesend' thread back in late January, I think.
  • Wasn't it phillip warm an that got that fantastic diving header in front of the covered end one night against Sunderland in a thrilling 3-3. ?... Shame it was an own goal but up there with dave shipperley's lob from the half way line against orient as the greatest own goals ever...
  • Wasn't it phillip warm an that got that fantastic diving header in front of the covered end one night against Sunderland in a thrilling 3-3. ?... Shame it was an own goal but up there with dave shipperley's lob from the half way line against orient as the greatest own goals ever...

Was that the game when the Sunderland coach got held up in traffic & their players had to get changed on the coach & run straight onto the pitch as soon as they arrived? Game didn't actually start until 8:30 or something silly.