Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

private coaches

has anyone ever done this before? as appose to using the valley away coaches, so you can enjoy a beer etc?

Comments

• You can't drink on any coach going to a football match, private hire or official club one.
  • went on a beano to southend 4 weeks ago and we had untold amount of drinks on the way, whats the difference with it being a football match?
  • Football fans are all thugs of course.
  • went on a beano to southend 4 weeks ago and we had untold amount of drinks on the way, whats the difference with it being a football match?

The law I am sorry to say.
    You could always get the coach to go to a boozer early though.

• The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985 covers it.
  • edited December 2012
    rent a riot was the one back in the day mate, ha!

ive done it a few times yea, best keep low profile when doing it though or the plod will be all over ya thus taking the fun out of it... best thing to do is take any flags down ect. when getting near ground and park up in a decent place ie. not right outside the ground, then walk to your pub of choice and all should be ok... great way to do away games cos of the freedom you get to do stop offs in tropical places on route.

just my view and opinion hater, do it i say, we still got our big away day to do yet, good fun!

Stupid law, but the police enforce it very strictly.
  • Riviera said:

The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985 covers it.

This. Interestingly the same law that makes it illegal to take flares and smoke bombs to a football match...but that's for another thread!
  • edited December 2012
    So if the law which states that booze cannot be consumed on a coach is 'The Sporting Events (control of alcohol) Act 1985', does this mean that a coachload of people not destined for a sporting event can drink on the coach?

Then a private coach service could be run to a town (say Watford), and some of the travellers could just happen to then go to a football match.
  • fattmatt said:

So if the law which states that booze cannot be consumed on a coach is 'The Sporting Events (control of alcohol) Act 1985', does this mean that a coachload of people not destined for a sporting event can drink on the coach?

That was a private coach service could be run to a town (say Watford), and some of the travellers could just happen to then go to a football match.

I suspect that the police would see through that quite quickly...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2012
    Yes, but what (realistically) could they do apart from nick your tinnies for their xmas piss-up?
  • fattmatt said:

Yes, but what (realistically) could they do apart from nick your tinnies for their xmas piss-up?

brillirant

• *brilliant rather ha
  • Get rid of your cans before you pull off the motorway then.
  • Well they *could* charge you under the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985 which carries a fine of £1,000 and a maximum 3 months in prison.

I agree that in most cases they are probably more likely to confiscate the alcohol, but trying on some clever story about a sightseeing trip to Watford is probably not going to help your cause.

I also believe they have the power to send you home, but I might be wrong about that.

Let's be honest, if you're discreet then the likelihood of being caught is fairly low. Although discussing your plans on the internet may increase it...
  • Does this act cover all sports?
  • Jodaius said:

I also believe they have the power to send you home, but I might be wrong about that.

Police can direct a person aged 16 years or over who is in a public place to leave an area and not to return for a period of up to 48 hours.

This can be done where a person’s presence in an area is likely to cause or contribute to alcohol-related crime or disorder happening, happening again or continuing. It must be necessary to remove that person from the area to remove or reduce the likelihood of such crime or disorder taking place.

This power is given to the police in Section 27 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006
  • iaitch said:

Does this act cover all sports?

No, just those events 'designated' by the Secretary of State. So just football - although the provision is there to add more events in the future if the need ever arose.
  • Perhaps we could argue that Watford V Charlton doesn't count as 'sport'.

Or go to see the sights of Watford first (Harlequin Shopping Centre, Pound Land, the big pond etc).
  • Thanks Jodaius, so its biased against football fans really but presume they couldn't word the act like that in case of discrimination.
  • Sponsored links:

• fattmatt said:

Perhaps we could argue that Watford V Charlton doesn't count as 'sport'.

Maybe there should be a defence along the lines that no-one should be made to watch such an event sober!
  • SE10 said:

Get rid of your cans before you pull off the motorway then.

This is the way to do it, use the last service station before you arrive at the city and ditch your tins. That is how other clubs do it.
  • SE10 said:

This is the way to do it, use the last service station before you arrive at the city and ditch your tins. That is how other clubs do it.
    Hide your bugle as well, just in case like.
  • Its only enforced if you get caught.

I know west ham have plenty of private coaches going to away games from Essex which my mates use. They have no problem drinking on there, just use common sense and ditch them before they enter the towns/cities.

Its actually a good idea which if we had the numbers i'm sure people would use.
  • Are there any regular away travellers who would like to have a bash at organising a coach on a trial basis to an away game later in the season? Sadly, with young children I rarely get to go to away games these days. :o(
  • A sort of Charlton Life Independent Travel?

• SE10 said:

Hide your bugle as well, just in case like.
    The "Barmy-Army" in India have a bugle: Its always at England games.
  • Jodaius said:

iaitch said:

Does this act cover all sports?

No, just those events 'designated' by the Secretary of State. So just football - although the provision is there to add more events in the future if the need ever arose.
    So kabadi is ok?
  • A sort of Charlton Life Independent Travel?

You'll have to have a woman fan with you or nobody will find the coach after a few tinnies.