Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: The Covered End Bounces.....

A piece just written on tonight's game:

Very occasionally, Tuesday nights at The Valley produce magical scenes. There are plenty that question why anyone would be a football fan; but tonight, as the out-of-form Addicks took on top-of–the-table Cardiff, magic was certainly in the air.
This week has seen Charlton fans congregating on social media and forums alike in support of Manager Chris Powell. Using the hashtag ‘In Powell We Trust’, fans have united in their thousands as rumours continue to circulate regarding Powell’s future. As Charlton took to the field at 7:45, the majority of the fans who had made the journey to South-East London were surely expecting nothing less than a heavy defeat.
Despite this, from the first whistle, the North stand was absolutely rocking, supporters unity transferring from cyberspace to SE7. The Addicks were behind after just 3 minutes, but that didn’t stop the Valley faithful, whose chanting continued to lift the players. Even when the noise died down, the silence was short-lived, and likely to have been for the benefit of the drummers arms. After 25 minutes, Charlton were 2-0 down, and despite the expectations of another thrashing, still ‘CAFC’ and ‘Red Army’ echoed around the ground.
Powell had set the Addicks up playing 4-5-1, with Hulse as the loan striker. After 20 minutes however, Haynes was moved alongside Hulse and Charlton reverted to a 4-4-2. The two goals conceded were dreadful yet again, two simple set pieces where the defence completely fell asleep. Fans would have been completely justified in vocalising their displeasure, but lead by the North Stand the supporters rallied in support of Powell and his boys.
After the Addicks fell 2 goals behind, no one would have believed what would unfold against the league leaders. The truth is, Charlton had been playing the better football, and although they hadn’t created many chances, they had also restricted Cardiff to very little. Despite this, given the recent form at home I was still struggling to see a way to get anything from the match.
It was two shocking pieces of defending that allowed Charlton back into the game. First, Jackson was quickest to react as a cross wasn’t properly cleared, slamming the ball into the back of the net. It was Jackson again who levelled for Charlton just minutes later, heading home a corner before the half-time whistle. The Valley erupted, and Powell’s quiet fist pump spoke volumes, both about his uncertain future, and the enormous importance of continuing the comeback in the second half.
As the teams returned after the break, the Covered End continued to create a cauldron of noise. The players responded magnificently, and relegation-threatened Charlton completely took apart the leaders of the Championship. Haynes, Hulse and Stephens all scored in the third quarter of the game, sending the Valley faithful into raptures, and the free-scoring Addicks into a 5-2 lead. As ‘Valley Floyd Road’ rolled around the ground, the North Stand begun to bounce. Charlton were back!
Charlton continued to pour forward, refusing to rest on their lead. Powell pressed his players, forcing them to keep going despite their growing tiredness, but Cardiff’s multi-million pound team failed to find answers. Whilst the Addicks should have been rewarded with one of the most comprehensive Valley results of recent times, they party was almost spoilt by a ridiculous referee. As the clock ticked into the 90th minute, the 4th official held up a board showing 6 minutes. The crowd were incredulous, and given their recent poor form, even a three-goal lead appeared frail.
And so it proved as two goals in as many minutes pulled the generally outplayed Cardiff side back to 5-4. That was how it remained though, and in one of the greatest games ever witnessed at the Valley, the final whistle blew, confirming three points for Charlton.
Then, as ‘Chrissy Powell’s Red Army’ rang out around the ground, Powell stared up at the North stand, nodding with gritted determination etched on his face. This was just one game in a long season, but the enormity of the result cannot be understated. Home form has been awful this season, playing top of the league, and every single Charlton player played his heart out for the club tonight. They looked like a Charlton who wanted to compete, and who could match the best in this league. If that type of performance can be carried into upcoming games against the likes of Bristol City and Peterborough, the Addicks may begin to make real progress in this league.
Powell’s lack of celebrations will have some Charlton fans still worrying about his future at the club. He barely flinched at any of the goals, and at the end of the game chose not to perform his usual leap out of the tunnel. Perhaps he recognises that the result is a small improvement in a long-term project. Perhaps it was out of respect for the opposition. Perhaps, like many of the fans, the game had left him so drained that he couldn’t quite comprehend what he had witnessed.
Whatever the reasoning, the real Charlton are back, and Jiminez would have a mutiny on his hands if he makes the call to oust Powell. If it’s a war he wants, the Covered End are more than ready. The players and staff alike have shown that they’re more than capable of survival at this level, and it would be a tragedy if someone steps in the way of that. It’s only one result, but this week has seen Charlton fans display their true fighting spirit. We’re a small club, but we’re a club full of pride and belief in our history and our future. We’ll fight to stay in this division week-in,week-out, and perhaps tonight’s result can be the catalyst for such a fight!
In Powell We Trust!

Comments

• What a great piece this is. Yes, Chris Powell is one of us and, if anyone has any ideas, we'll fight to keep him. COYR!!!!!!!!
  • Beautiful
  • An excellent summary of a buzzing evening (I really must go to bed now!). The only thing I would add, was that at 2-1 Helguson missed a sitter after Solly slipped in the box, an easy header to make it 3-1. If that had gone in, things could have turned out very differently!
  • An excellent summary of a buzzing evening (I really must go to bed now!). The only thing I would add, was that at 2-1 Helguson missed a sitter after Solly slipped in the box, an easy header to make it 3-1. If that had gone in, things could have turned out very differently!

But it didn't and that's what makes football the great game that it is.

• Rob said:

An excellent summary of a buzzing evening (I really must go to bed now!). The only thing I would add, was that at 2-1 Helguson missed a sitter after Solly slipped in the box, an easy header to make it 3-1. If that had gone in, things could have turned out very differently!

The key thing being that this time it was an opposition player missing a sitter, rather than one of our players. Indeed we were clinical in front of goal tonight!
  • Powell has the man management to be a proper great manager. He obviously knows how to defence and coaches help with the rest.
    No doubt in my mind that our position is not his fault.

• MattD said:

Powell has the man management to be a proper great manager. He obviously knows how to defence and coaches help with the rest.
    No doubt in my mind that our position is not his fault.

He has made mistakes and has to take some responsibility but he is not the main factor/s.

• excellent - wish i had been there
  • Wouldn't want to see Powell celebrating every win. A great manager once said " Don't get too carried away when you win,or too down when you lose."
    In Powell we Trust.
  • good piece, but don't highlight the fact we sing shite songs like CAFC CAFC , & RED ARMY RED ARMY ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• lol Steve......not getting carried away...like most I hope we move onwards and upwards with CP at the helm, but in football you just never know.
  • Tel the best part for me was the midfield in the second half biting into every challenge it changed the game.
  • Also it's Chrisy Powell's red and WHITE army!

Apart from that a decent article!
  • Great article and in true Charlton spirit! Thanks Wallin58.
  • edited November 2012

Also it's Chrisy Powell's red and WHITE army!

I must be even deafer or more senile than I thought then!

It came across as "Chrissy Powell's Red Army" from where I was sitting and that was what I was singing.

Great article Wallin 58. It captures the atmosphere well.

• well you have been singin the wrong song Len you old Git.
  • Well written piece
    Summed up our performance
    At 2 down i feared the worst! But the comeback was fantastic and at half time the north stand was tottaly rocking.
    Wot we saw in the second half was truely unbelievable
    Leaving a twitchy bum last 30 seconds with they got that freekick
    And you summed it up
    Magical game
    Magical night
    Magical players
    Magical fans
    Even at 2 down we never stopped beleiving
    Sang our hearts out
    Pure magic night
  • lol Steve......not getting carried away...like most I hope we move onwards and upwards with CP at the helm, but in football you just never know.

Tel the best part for me was the midfield in the second half biting into every challenge it changed the game.

Its been the weakest link so far Steve, so good to hear, it sounded like the "real" Dale Stephens turned up last night

• Rob said:

An excellent summary of a buzzing evening (I really must go to bed now!). The only thing I would add, was that at 2-1 Helguson missed a sitter after Solly slipped in the box, an easy header to make it 3-1. If that had gone in, things could have turned out very differently!

If the refeees decisions that have gone against us had not we would have been in an better position, thats what is great about this game the if's and but's

• Also it's Chrisy Powell's red and WHITE army!

Might be to you. But to me and most it is red army - can't fit red and white in!

• Sponsored links:

• Great support particularly from the Upper North last night. All the singers should give themselves a pat on the back.
  • Great article....especially for someone like me who missed the game due to a broken heating system and an engineer who could "only do Tuesday this week mate"
    In Powell we trust!!
  • it is sung red army, to much of a mouthful with the white in there as well.
  • man. that article nearly bought tears to my eyes.

lets keep it up. in powell we trust!
  • any of the forum lurkers know what Cardiff thought of the atmosphere?

be interesting to see if the noise 'carried'
  • Well written. The end made uncomfortable reading though about a war between the Covered End and Jiminez. There has been no indication whatsoever that Powell was on his way out, the murmurs have been pure anticipation for what COULD happen.
  • ozaddick said:

it is sung red army, to much of a mouthful with the white in there as well.

it is not - there are some tone deaf people on here.

It is Chrissy Powells "red-n-white" army.....it will easily shift to "claret-n-blue" when he goes to West Ham

• its always two colours. defo red n white.
  • Everyone around me sings red army, red and white is too much
  • The kids sing Red Army, real Charlton fans sing red and white army.

If you know your history...